“I love the cafe, but I haven't stayed in the motel because I have family in the area”

Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.
Ranked #2 of 3 Grand Pre B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I've been eating at the Evangeline Motel cafe, known locally as Sterlings, for 40 years. I moved away from the area a long time ago, but breakfast or lunch at Sterlings is a such highlight of a visit "home" that I always do it at least twice! Marg would be proud of the way the tradition for excellence has been maintained by her family and staff. The fruit pies are still justifiably famous. The menu is simple, but nothing on it will disappoint, unless you are addicted to fried food. If you need chips/fries, you should go elsewhere.

Room Tip: review refers to cafe only, I've never stayed in the motel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 August 2013

They don't have a separate listing for " stirglings" so had to put this under the Evageline motel which includes the resto... We stopped by for a bowl of chowder and seafood.... pretty aweful. Used to eat here regularly from childhood. I guess the 2006 rennovation took out what it was always know for: great homemade local food, good value and well done. Chowder was hot milk with dry seafood... Knew Marg Striling well... she would never serve such disappointing poor food...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aaron B
Sheila M, Owner at Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc., responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Hello, Aaron B!

I would like to start by apologizing for your less than satisfactory experience. We are quite disappointed to hear that your seafood chowder was not pleasing. It is a new item we have added to our menu this year; we have had great success with it thus far and always encourage feedback. I do hope that you expressed your disappointment to our staff at the time of your visit and that they were attentive to and dealt with your complaint appropriately. If they did not, I do welcome you to email us at eimi@eastlink.ca so we may address how our staff deals with complaints. I would like to assure you that it is true that much has changed since Marjorie Stirling’s time but we, the Stirling family, continue to strive for the same standards of quality. We thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Really enjoyed our weekend stay at the Evangeline Inn. The motel was clean and very comfortable. I also like their café, it's fun to eat there, the food is decent and the prices are very reasonable. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and I would definitely stay there again. I didn't have the opportunity to check out the pool, maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Di K
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Great room; good beds and adjoining bath facilities. The hotel had a small laundry and a terrific little café, just right for lunch and dessert. The location could not be better. We spent some time in the Historic Grand Pré site; toured and tasted at the Domaine de Grand Pré; found the right spots for watching this end of the Fundy Bay tides; and had a good lobster dinner in Hall's Harbour.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pictograms
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We live in the area and always forget about this as a breakfast spot.

Good solid, fresh, breakfast food. We had omelettes, which were fresh and filled with meat, cheese and veggies. I liked that they had multi-grain toast.

We were disappointed that there were no potatoes included and none available.

It's a nice, bright dining room. Service was friendly, relaxed and attentive, and everything was spotless. Perfect for families, travellers, and people who don't want to spend a fortune on a basic breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vancouvergirl
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We've been eating at the Evangeline's restauarant for years. It is always a highlight of our Nova Scotia vacations. The fish chowder is the best ever, full of fish and not too heavy, and served with a home made scone. The lobster sandwiches are generous and fresh, and not over dressed with mayo. Make sure to save room for the home made desserts. The fruit pies are delicious.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DawnMike19
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed in the Evangeline Motel last night while on a visit to the Wolfville area. I chose it because of the price ($113.00 taxes included). The front desk people were friendly when I made the reservation and friendly and welcoming when I got there. I was on the end where the pool is, in a section with three rooms. No one else was in the other rooms, so I had it all to myself. Considering the pool is right there, as well as a pop machine and the laundry/ice machine building, it was very quiet. The motel was quite busy, but I never heard a peep out of anyone. The rooms are clean, but nothing exceptional. They could use some updating; particularly new blankets and quilts. The A/C was good. I don't ever use hotel soap or shampoo, so I can only assume they are of the same quality (or lack thereof) as most similar places. It's not the Blomidon Inn, so you basically get what you pay for. Nice for anyone on a budget. As for the cafe - it's obviously a popular spot with the local people. I don't see what the draw is. The food is basic. I had a small deluxe burger and although the burger and toppings were fresh, I could have done better making it at home. I didn't try the pies, which some on this site rave about. There are many good restaurants in Wolfville with better food for similar cost and I would suggest going there to eat. I think if I return there, I will try the Inn next time as it sounds nicer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ann W

Been to Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.

Address: 11668 1 Hwy | P.O. Box 4, Grand Pre, Nova Scotia B0P 1M0, Canada
Region: Canada > Nova Scotia > Southwest Nova Scotia > Grand Pre
Ranked #2 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Grand Pre
Price Range: £75 - £88 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc. Grand Pre, Nova Scotia