“Beach Breeze was a disappointment”
Review of Beach Breeze Motel

Beach Breeze Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grand Pre
Reviewed 7 August 2011

After reading the glowing reviews which stated the motel was a little run down, and basic but with a great view and very helpful owners, we booked it for the one night we were going to be in the area. I wish we had looked farther. There is no interior design, minimal toiletries, and a shower that ran hot and cold during our showers. The mattresses in our room (#8) were terrible and both my husband and I had back aches the next morning. We slept in separate beds because there were so many lumps in it, it felt like we were sleeping on a fold away couch. The view and beach access are good and the pool actually had swimmers because it was warm enough. I'm not a snob, but don't feel this establishment would meet a lot of people's standards.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pambo816

Reviewed 3 August 2011

As two working people living in Southwestern Ontario, our daily lives are scheduled every minute. Even our "down times" are on a schedule. We wanted to find a place where we could get away from watches, electronics (They do, however, have wireless internet connect. We didn't want to use it.), gadgets and work commitments. The Beach Breeze was the perfect place to do exactly what we wanted. We rented Unit #5 facing the water with a spectacular view of the Minas Basin, the sunrise to one side of the view and the sunset to the other. We spent our afternoons outside, facing the Basin, and doing little other than watch the tide come in and out. There wasn't a thing that we needed.

When we did want to venture out, there were interesting places to visit and restaurants with great menus only minutes away in Grand Pre (check out Grand Pre Winery, The Tangled Gardens, Just Us Coffee) and in Port Williams (The Port Pub). Nearby Wolfville is a very pretty town with lots of interesting things to do and restaurants to explore. We were able to stay long enough to do a bit of exploring and have time on the beach. As time went out we found that we were happiest just staying at the Beach Breeze taking in the ocean, the clean air, the flights of birds passing by, and the hospitality of Don and Patsy, the proprietors of the Beach Breeze.

Don and Patsy are very "hands on" managers and make themselves available at all times. Any questions we had were cheerfully answered and if they didn't know the answer, they set about finding it right away and getting back to us personally. We only had one minor concern about the room that was dealt with immediately. They both have a great sense of humour and, while not intrusive in any way, would often have a story or two as they passed by our ocean view posts.

The housekeeping unit we had was clean, stocked with the basics and met our needs handily. We were comfortable and grew to feel quite at home in our "little cottage". In fact, when we returned home to Ontario, we decided to book time in next year for a return!

Room Tip: Units 5 and 10 face the water and are housekeeping units.
1  Thank ClaireandTom10
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed here for 1 night in the off season. We arrived later than expected due to some issues with the rental car but we had called ahead and the staff left our room open for us. We spoke to the owner, I forget his name, in the morning and he was a really nice guy. We paid the premium for the beachfront room even though it was not beach season. I believe there are 2 such units on the end of a long building. If you want to save money, stay in one of the other rooms and walk outside to see the same view, but it is nice to have the view of the beach front room b/c you can sit in the beach side room which is really an enclosed porch with flagstone floor, fireplace (apparently functional) and large windows. You can sit there reading, eating, or surfing the wireless internet all while watching the water, which is just a stone's throw from the beachfront room. The room has a rustic feel with exposed wood wall and wooden floor. The bathroom is small but updated and clean. The beds are basic, not great but not scary. The kitchen is adequately stocked with utensils. The pool was not open b/c of the season but it is just outside the room and you could almost watch your kids in the pool, from the kitchen table. Outside there is a small lawn area, some benches looking towards the water, and a stairway down to the beach (at the east edge of the property). Alternatively you can scramble down the rocks. We walked to the water at low tide, which is a bit of a feat considering the suction of the mud. I imagine the place would be great in warmer weather. My only concern is that the walls seem pretty thin so I expect that when it is crowded you MIGHT hear some noise from adjacent rooms, and certainly from the pool, etc. Thus, if you are looking for a super peaceful, quiet place, your best luck is probably off-season, but I am just guessing. We drove to Wolfville for the Saturday market, which was great!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms have great views, but once you step outside of any of the other rooms you have the...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We arrived late as we traveled the length of the peninsula that day. Don had left us a welcome note and room assignment for our convenience. He is a wonderful host. The room was comfortable and had all we needed to have a beautiful experience with the Bay of Fundy. I would love to go again and stay longer.

Room Tip: there is an end room with a sofa facing the picture window of the bay. What a jewel!
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed here at the begining of July. Just terrific. Like having a little cottage on the Bay of Fundy. Don, the owner, is really friendly and helpful. The location is fantastic. Not fancy, but clean. Everything you need in the kitchen. And nothing beat the view.

Reviewed 22 October 2010

I arrived in Grand Pre after 9:00 pm. It was dark and I was traveling alone and just a bit edgy. I stopped at a number of motels and b&bs and none was open; lights out completely. Just as I had resigned to sleep in my rental car in a gas station parking lot I saw a small sign advertising the Beach Breeze on Evangeline Beach, with an arrow pointing down a long dark road. I took the chance and it changed everything. I phoned Don, using a number left on the door of the office. He was over in a moment, opened the room, said we'd settle up in the morning. The room was CLEAN and like a beach cottage. I awoke in the morning to the splashing sound of water not 50 ft from my door. High Tide!!!!! I stayed 3 nights and loved it. Don became a new friend. My room felt like home away from home. I learned about the extreme high and low tides of the Bay of Fundy first hand. I was just minutes away from the Grand Pre Center that tells the story of the expulsion of the Acadians from Nova Scotia. It wasn't fancy, but for me, the best of the best. I would recommend the Beach Breeze with confidence. Watch for bald eagles, read the guides along the shore explaining the importance of the Bay, and find someone to show you the diking system the Acadians used to hold back the sea. Read "Evangeline."
Have coffee and breakfast at the "free trade" coffee shop in town. Say hi to Don for me.

Kathy Osborne
Draper, Utah

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank kosborneDraper_Ut
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We asked the woman at the information Centre for recommendations on accomodation overlooking the ocean. She said that if you can overlook the appearance of an old building, the ownersof the Beach Breeze Motel have done a good job of sprucing up the rooms with new beds, washrooms, etc. She was right. Had we been driving along the road we would not have stopped. But the information we were given was accurate. We rented a room overlookng the bay and were treated to a spectacular view - watching those amazing tides come and go and captured incredible performances of thousands of sandpipers flying in rhythm over the bay in the evening. The property is a work in progress - but we're really glad we chose to stay. The owner (Don) shares a wealth of experience related to the area ... the tides, the birds, local attractions etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in New Minas
Super 8 Windsor NS
Super 8 Windsor NS
#1 of 2 in Windsor
Evangeline Inn & Motel Inc.
Micro Boutique Living Wolfville

Been to Beach Breeze Motel? Share your experiences!