“we loved this place...”

A Seafaring Maiden Bed and Breakfast
Truro, Canada
“we loved this place...”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I just spent a night at A Seafaring Maiden and really loved it. We stayed in "the Bessie" which has a really comfortable king sized bed, beautiful furnishings, a sitting area and lovely views of the river and Annapolis Royal thru the wavy glass windows. Our private bath was across the hallway which I thought at first might be an issue, but really wasn't. There were wine glasses and a corkscrew in the room for any wine you might bring and chocolates on the bed. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and the coffee brought upstairs to the landing in the morning was most welcome. My favourite thing about this B&B is Bill though. His wife was away so he was handling everything. We felt so welcome, comfortable and even appreciated right from the get go. He rocks!

My only suggestions would be to have slightly larger robes available in the room. My husband is a firefighter and his broad shoulders wouldn't fit in the medium sized robes provided.

Room Tip: If you need ensuite get one of the other 2 rooms, not "The Bessie". And don't leave w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

As good as the photos of A Seafaring Maiden look, the in-person experience is even better. The rooms are clean, cozy and beautifully decorated with unobstructed views of the river and Annapolis Royal. The common rooms are charmingly decorated with V&A period touches that show some of the home's history without sacrificing comfort.
The nook at the top of the stairs was the perfect place for me to work early in the morning and not disturb my fellow travellers, the beautiful sunrises an added bonus; coffee brought up at 7, most welcome.
Though the physical aspects of the place are all inviting and really without fault, where this B&B particularly shines is in the service. Bill is a most accomodating host; knowledgeable of the area and full of helpful suggestions, graciously offered. And can he cook?! No need for lunch after one of Bill's breakfasts and no belly up to the buffet these - each course is lovingly prepared and served in high style in the dining room, where somehow I still managed to feel okay about being in my PJs.
Marina, my 6 year-old daughter says, "We *have* to visit Bill again!"
And we will.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful - the Bessie the largest, with a king bed and slightly more magnificent...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Annapolis Royal, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were given a gift from a family member that included a one night stay at A Seafaring Maiden. My brother arranged for us the Abigail room and he also surprised us with a bottle of wine! We stayed one night, May 17th and we loved our stay. Our host Bill met us at the front door and made sure we had everything and that we were comfortable. I must say we loved our room and loved the period charm and warmth of this B&B. Large guest rooms as well as the well appointed main floor common rooms for guests to lounge, read, chat or enjoy that glass of wine. The front veranda was a great feature to watch the Annapolis River and breathe that fresh air. Our queen size bed was super comfortable and at 6 am the sunrise coming through my window bathed our room in orange....beautiful. Breakfast is another story! I am a one piece of toast person usually, however, the two course breakfast was to die for. There was coffee and orange juice followed by a dish of fresh fruit, granola with yogurt starter. THEN there was the frittata cooked to perfection, watermelon slice and a soft biscuit with real butter and carrot cake preserves. There was so much on my plate, I could not eat it all! By the way, the butter is served in a Butter Bell Crock, which I had to buy. Ask to see it, as well as the Glugger fish pitcher. I am sure Bill will be happy to demonstrate them. There was another couple staying in the room across from us and we could not hear household noise what so ever. Quiet, quiet, quiet.
Complaints.....not one. We are not royalty, nor are we a Kardashian or demand perfection and we did not spend our time critiquing and dissecting everything. We spent our time admiring the furnishings, the ambiance of this lovely lady of a B&B and thought of past owners and what it was like during the time it was being built. Positive thinking & time well spent!
I must sent out a shout to all Annapolis Royal and Granville Ferry neighbors. We live in Granville Ferry, in fact a stones throw from A Seafaring Maiden. We usually think we need to travel hours to "get away", yet we have some beautiful accommodations right here in our own back yard. It took us 2 minutes to get to our destination. After checking in, we went out for a nice supper (I didn't have to cook....yay!) and then we went for a scenic drive. We relaxed with our bottle of wine later, reading and listening to the music in the den. After checking out this morning, we were again home in 2 minutes. Bill said they are open year round. So this winter instead of traveling to Halifax I think we will do a winter get away back at A Seafaring Maiden. Love love love this place. Thanks for reading and if our Western Canada relatives are reading this.....guess where you will be staying when you come to visit! LOL!

Room Tip: We loved the Abigail room with private bath. Next time we will try the Captain room. All rooms were...
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Lovely place with friendly hosts, comfortable rooms and an amazing breakfast. When booking your room you may want to request a room with an on suite bathroom. Friendly suggestions include providing a more comfortable place within our room to sit and removing the creepy lamps with doll faces on them. We would stay here again any time.

PS. Try the carrot cake preserves... so good.

Room Tip: If you are going to request the Bessy it does not have an on suite bathroom but does have a king siz...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife, 8 month old son, and 2 year old dog had a wonderful stay. Bill was as hospitable a host as we could have imagined! From the moment we arrived, we felt 'at home'. Breakfast in the morning was delicious!

Although we stayed for only one night, we felt as though we got to know Bill and look forward to coming back on our next trip through the valley.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'Captain's Room', but would likely choose the king size bed option the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at A Seafaring Maiden for two nights. Although Ann Marie was away visiting family, Bill kept us happy and well-fed. The house is beautiful with a great view of Annapolis Royal, the bed is comfortable, and we were served delicious home-made, two course breakfasts. Bill gave us great suggestions on where to eat and what to see. We would certainly stay there again if we're in the area!

uk
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had a great stay here. The room was well appointed and comfortable, Bill was a great host, a lovely breakfast and altogether a memorable stay. Wifi which is essential for us was fast and we had a great nights sleep.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#6 of 19 in Annapolis Royal
Grand Oak Manor Bed & Breakfast
Grand Oak Manor Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 7 in Granville Ferry

Been to A Seafaring Maiden Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!