Mountain Top Cottages & Campground
Annapolis Royal Inn(Annapolis Royal)(Great Value!)
US$86
Aurora Inn(Kingston)
US$128
Hedley House(Smith's Cove)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsupper clements parkpaddle boatsannapolis royalpoolcampingsites
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We recently stayed at the Mountain Top Cottages with our two preschool children and two other familieis. We stayed in Cottage #1 and our friends stayed in cottages #2 and 4. We all found our cottages to be extremely clean upon arrival (although smelling a bit "cottagey" which disappeared after leaving the windows open for half an hour). Cottage #1 is close to the office and the pool and suited our family well. The bathroom was very modern, and the rest of the decor was dated but clean.

Everyone agreed that Cottage #1 was likely the best of the three that we saw. However, the next time we visit I might choose a cottage that is closer to one of the two playgrounds, as my kids (3 & 5) really liked the playgrounds.

The cabins were well-equipped for cooking, and the charcoal barbecues and firepits were enjoyed. We did walk around the lake (and did the wagon ride) and saw countless fish, turtles, ducks and even two otters.

The pool was incredibly clean and fresh feeling. It didn't not seem over-chlorinated. We spent several hours there one afternoon and we were the only people in the pool.

The location was great for us - as it was a ten minute drive into Annapolis Royal and likely a twenty minute drive to Upper Clements Park. We really enjoyed the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning in Annapolis Royal.

I hope/expect to retun there in the future and would not hesitate to recommend this to other families visiting the area.

Room Tip: Look at the map and decide if you would prefer to be near the pool, or more secluded in the woods - our cabin (#1) did have more traffic near it than the other cabins which can be stressful if you're traveling with small children.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We stayed here with our teenage daughter and 2 other couples for the week-end. It is the perfect getaway spot when you don't want to be too far away, but just far enough. The cabins are a good size, we had a one bedroom with a pull out for our daughter and we never felt cramped. The trails around the site are very nice and well maintained, perfect for walking off supper. The fire pit is the the perfect way to spend the evening with friends. There are lots of activities on site, canoes, paddle boats, pool, horseshoes, walking trails, wagon rides and play areas. They have hammocks, chairs, fire pit and even a clothesline at every cabin. The kitchen is well stocked with all the utensils and cookware you could need.
There is an amazing trail just down the road from the cabins, about 15 km, that you really should visit while there. It's called Delaps Cove Wilderness Trail. Beautiful ocean views with a breathtaking waterfall. It was the highlight of our trip. Another nice spot was Annapolis Royal Historic Gardens. We were there in Sept. and found it nice, I can only imagine how much nicer it would be when everything is in full bloom.
This was our third trip to Mountain Top Cottages and we look forward to many return visits.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My husband and I and our two young children stayed at these cottages last week. It was so much fun. The grounds are beautiful, meticulous and very family friendly. We stayed for three nights but could of stayed longer. The lake makes the experience. It is so relaxing and the opportunity to go out in a boat is a nice change, There are some trails through the woods that are just exciting enough for the average family to walk and enjoy without wearing out completely. We ended up seeing some squirrels, ducks and even a turtle on our travels. The kids loved it!

I would also highly recommend the wagon ride. It cost $1 for all of us to go and took about half an hour. We did it on our first evening there and it gave us an opportunity to see the grounds. They also have many plastic animals hidden around the property so it is fun for the kids to try and find them during the ride. My kids are 5 and 9 and they loved it!

All the cottages seem to be in great locations for one reason or another. We were close to the office, pool and floating dock for the boats and this worked well for us. We were also one of about 5 or 6 cottages that were right next to the playground so we were able to sit on the deck or watch the kids play while we were inside the cottage. When I was checking out the lady told me we were in the smallest cottage with the biggest bathroom. I thought it was a good size and didn't find it at all small. The cottage prices are very competitive - we paid $107 per night.

Other things worth mentioning:
We were only about 10 km from Upper Clements Park.
Every cottage has a hammock, a charcoal bbq, a fire pit and a picnic table. Very nice.
There is satellite TV although very few channels and the screen is really small - but this didn't make much difference for us as we were trying to get away from TV, etc...
There is a store along the highway at the bottom of this mountain. I think it is called Double D Grocery - They have movies, grocery and convenience store items, decent coffee , deli subs, etc... But best of all they have a great bakery. Delicious rolls, cookies, squares and biscuits.
The grounds are worth taking a walk right around. We did and weren't bothered by bugs at all. It is interesting because around every turn you find different things like toy animals and lots of comfortable and study seats and swings. They seemed to be extremely well thought out because all of them were in comfortable locations that were usually well treed and shaded.

Overall, I highly recommend Mountaintop Cottages. You get the convenience of housekeeping cottages with the feel and fun of staying in a beautiful National Park and campground.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank InnloverNovaScotia
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Well we have been going to Mountain Top for Five years and can't wait to keep going back we are always planning the next trip before the first one is done. Our son loves it there and our daughter will too he talks about it all the time yes there are bugs but it's a very peaceful spot and you just unwind and very relaxed. The family is wonderful and will try to help you anyway they can your like part of there family. Yes the place isn't knew but it's clean and the beds are comfy what more would you want.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 10 December 2008

We stayed a few nights here in August with our child. It was a fairly good time, but not our best stay in Nova Scotia, and I don't think I'd stay again.

The ability to have a nightly campfire in front of our cabin was great, and a huge hit with kiddo, who also really enjoyed the hammock out front. It was also nice to have a 2 bedroom cabin. The lady in the front office was also very pleasant.

I hadn't realized the mosquitos in the area are so bad! Not the owners' fault, but yikes...although I hear the black flies earlier in the summer are worse. Also, the pond has leeches, which we discovered enthusiastically attached to the kiddo's legs after skipping some stones.

There were some maintenance issues: the equipment in the kitchen was a bit quirky and not in very good repair, the hammocks had holes, and some of the play equipment was in real disrepair. One of the swingsets had swings that regularly flipped upside down, dumping kids (mine and others) on their heads, to tears all round.

Kiddo enjoyed playing with the other kids and walking around the little lake - for myself, it was a bit cutesy, but nice enough with a child.

I did find that the cabins up top of the hill where we were staying were crammed together a bit. The ones further down seemed better spread out and more peaceful. We were also surrounded by a family reunion, which may have contributed to feeling pressed.

Finally, and this was the big thing for me, I got a LOT of flea bites while I was staying there. I wonder if the previous guests had brought a dog? I would wake up covered in bites in the a.m., and felt downright creepy-crawly all night as a result. I couldn't wait to wash my clothes after we left.

So, parts of it were a hit, but don't think we'd return.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank LGfromT