“Heaven on Earth”

Mountain Top Cottages & Campground
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Well we have been going to Mountain Top for Five years and can't wait to keep going back we are always planning the next trip before the first one is done. Our son loves it there and our daughter will too he talks about it all the time yes there are bugs but it's a very peaceful spot and you just unwind and very relaxed. The family is wonderful and will try to help you anyway they can your like part of there family. Yes the place isn't knew but it's clean and the beds are comfy what more would you want.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Mountain Top Cottages & Campground

Reviewed 10 December 2008

We stayed a few nights here in August with our child. It was a fairly good time, but not our best stay in Nova Scotia, and I don't think I'd stay again.

The ability to have a nightly campfire in front of our cabin was great, and a huge hit with kiddo, who also really enjoyed the hammock out front. It was also nice to have a 2 bedroom cabin. The lady in the front office was also very pleasant.

I hadn't realized the mosquitos in the area are so bad! Not the owners' fault, but yikes...although I hear the black flies earlier in the summer are worse. Also, the pond has leeches, which we discovered enthusiastically attached to the kiddo's legs after skipping some stones.

There were some maintenance issues: the equipment in the kitchen was a bit quirky and not in very good repair, the hammocks had holes, and some of the play equipment was in real disrepair. One of the swingsets had swings that regularly flipped upside down, dumping kids (mine and others) on their heads, to tears all round.

Kiddo enjoyed playing with the other kids and walking around the little lake - for myself, it was a bit cutesy, but nice enough with a child.

I did find that the cabins up top of the hill where we were staying were crammed together a bit. The ones further down seemed better spread out and more peaceful. We were also surrounded by a family reunion, which may have contributed to feeling pressed.

Finally, and this was the big thing for me, I got a LOT of flea bites while I was staying there. I wonder if the previous guests had brought a dog? I would wake up covered in bites in the a.m., and felt downright creepy-crawly all night as a result. I couldn't wait to wash my clothes after we left.

So, parts of it were a hit, but don't think we'd return.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank LGfromT
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at Mountain Top Cottages for two nights with our one year old daughter. The cottage was cute with a view of the pond. We used the pool, walked down their trails, walked over to the little gazebo, played on the playground, watched the ducks, and had a bonfire in the provided fire pit by our cottage. I think it is the prefect place for families with young children or for a family reunion. I wish we had stayed longer! I think our little girl could have been happy there for a week. It was about a 5-10 minute drive outside of town.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank FeistyCat
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I have stayed at this location a total of 5 times now. And everytime I return I wonder what took me so long to return. My last visit was for 3 days in july of 2006.

The setting is wonderful for those just looking to kick back for a weekend, week or two weeks. No matter the length of your stay, you are sure to have a quiet and relaxing vacation.

The cottages come in one or two bedrooms,both with a living room/dining room/kitchen and a washroom.

All lots have a firepit & chairs as well as a deck or cement step to sit on in the evenings.

Having its own small lake is great for the wildlife. There are always ducks, birds and in the summer 2 canadian geese call this lake home.

I would definately recommend to this location to couples, families with young children and older travelers.

Would I return - of course and as fast as I can.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hali2cuba2008
Reviewed 8 January 2008

This was our second and absolute favorite stay along the Evangeline Trail during a two week road trip through Nova Scotia. My 7 year old son and I stayed 3 nights (would have stayed more but we had reservations further down the road) and couldn't have been happier with the stay.

The cabins are a nice size and nicely furnished, although not luxurious. The cabins are along a treed loop providing decent privacy between cabins and certainly from the outside world. The playground and pool were great for my son and he met lots of other kids that he played with at both.

Each cabin has a firepit so you could either have your own fire, or if you got to know your neighbours (as we did) you could share one with a nearby cabin.

These are full housekeeping units, so you are cooking and cleaning up for yourself, but if that's the type of place you are looking for, this place is fantastic!

The hiking trails around the little lake aren't challenging at all, but were perfect for a family with younger kids. The pedal boats, canoes and rowboat allowed for perfect family-level "adventure" right on the property. The lake isn't big, but its plenty for a younger family.

Our cabin was very clean and the hosts and other staff were very helpful when we had questions or concerns. Being our first mom/son trip, they put me at ease about being away from a city.

Next time we plan a trip to the east coast, we'll definately be back!

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled with family
Upper Clements Cottages
Upper Clements Cottages
#3 of 9 in Annapolis Royal
Digby Pines Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Mountain Top Cottages & Campground? Share your experiences!