“Awesome grounds”

Mountain Top Cottages & Campground
Nova Scotia
“Awesome grounds”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

My husband and I and our two young children stayed at these cottages last week. It was so much fun. The grounds are beautiful, meticulous and very family friendly. We stayed for three nights but could of stayed longer. The lake makes the experience. It is so relaxing and the opportunity to go out in a boat is a nice change, There are some trails through the woods that are just exciting enough for the average family to walk and enjoy without wearing out completely. We ended up seeing some squirrels, ducks and even a turtle on our travels. The kids loved it!

I would also highly recommend the wagon ride. It cost $1 for all of us to go and took about half an hour. We did it on our first evening there and it gave us an opportunity to see the grounds. They also have many plastic animals hidden around the property so it is fun for the kids to try and find them during the ride. My kids are 5 and 9 and they loved it!

All the cottages seem to be in great locations for one reason or another. We were close to the office, pool and floating dock for the boats and this worked well for us. We were also one of about 5 or 6 cottages that were right next to the playground so we were able to sit on the deck or watch the kids play while we were inside the cottage. When I was checking out the lady told me we were in the smallest cottage with the biggest bathroom. I thought it was a good size and didn't find it at all small. The cottage prices are very competitive - we paid $107 per night.

Other things worth mentioning:
We were only about 10 km from Upper Clements Park.
Every cottage has a hammock, a charcoal bbq, a fire pit and a picnic table. Very nice.
There is satellite TV although very few channels and the screen is really small - but this didn't make much difference for us as we were trying to get away from TV, etc...
There is a store along the highway at the bottom of this mountain. I think it is called Double D Grocery - They have movies, grocery and convenience store items, decent coffee , deli subs, etc... But best of all they have a great bakery. Delicious rolls, cookies, squares and biscuits.
The grounds are worth taking a walk right around. We did and weren't bothered by bugs at all. It is interesting because around every turn you find different things like toy animals and lots of comfortable and study seats and swings. They seemed to be extremely well thought out because all of them were in comfortable locations that were usually well treed and shaded.

Overall, I highly recommend Mountaintop Cottages. You get the convenience of housekeeping cottages with the feel and fun of staying in a beautiful National Park and campground.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank InnloverNovaScotia

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Prospect Village
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Well we have been going to Mountain Top for Five years and can't wait to keep going back we are always planning the next trip before the first one is done. Our son loves it there and our daughter will too he talks about it all the time yes there are bugs but it's a very peaceful spot and you just unwind and very relaxed. The family is wonderful and will try to help you anyway they can your like part of there family. Yes the place isn't knew but it's clean and the beds are comfy what more would you want.

• Liked — friendly quite place our children loved and we loved
  • Disliked — weather lol
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2008

We stayed a few nights here in August with our child. It was a fairly good time, but not our best stay in Nova Scotia, and I don't think I'd stay again.

The ability to have a nightly campfire in front of our cabin was great, and a huge hit with kiddo, who also really enjoyed the hammock out front. It was also nice to have a 2 bedroom cabin. The lady in the front office was also very pleasant.

I hadn't realized the mosquitos in the area are so bad! Not the owners' fault, but yikes...although I hear the black flies earlier in the summer are worse. Also, the pond has leeches, which we discovered enthusiastically attached to the kiddo's legs after skipping some stones.

There were some maintenance issues: the equipment in the kitchen was a bit quirky and not in very good repair, the hammocks had holes, and some of the play equipment was in real disrepair. One of the swingsets had swings that regularly flipped upside down, dumping kids (mine and others) on their heads, to tears all round.

Kiddo enjoyed playing with the other kids and walking around the little lake - for myself, it was a bit cutesy, but nice enough with a child.

I did find that the cabins up top of the hill where we were staying were crammed together a bit. The ones further down seemed better spread out and more peaceful. We were also surrounded by a family reunion, which may have contributed to feeling pressed.

Finally, and this was the big thing for me, I got a LOT of flea bites while I was staying there. I wonder if the previous guests had brought a dog? I would wake up covered in bites in the a.m., and felt downright creepy-crawly all night as a result. I couldn't wait to wash my clothes after we left.

So, parts of it were a hit, but don't think we'd return.

• Liked — Fun for the kids.
  • Disliked — Fleas!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LGfromT
Boston, MA
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at Mountain Top Cottages for two nights with our one year old daughter. The cottage was cute with a view of the pond. We used the pool, walked down their trails, walked over to the little gazebo, played on the playground, watched the ducks, and had a bonfire in the provided fire pit by our cottage. I think it is the prefect place for families with young children or for a family reunion. I wish we had stayed longer! I think our little girl could have been happy there for a week. It was about a 5-10 minute drive outside of town.

• Liked — The amenities.
  • Disliked — Extra charge for firewood, matches, etc.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank FeistyCat
Dartmouth
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I have stayed at this location a total of 5 times now. And everytime I return I wonder what took me so long to return. My last visit was for 3 days in july of 2006.

The setting is wonderful for those just looking to kick back for a weekend, week or two weeks. No matter the length of your stay, you are sure to have a quiet and relaxing vacation.

The cottages come in one or two bedrooms,both with a living room/dining room/kitchen and a washroom.

All lots have a firepit & chairs as well as a deck or cement step to sit on in the evenings.

Having its own small lake is great for the wildlife. There are always ducks, birds and in the summer 2 canadian geese call this lake home.

I would definately recommend to this location to couples, families with young children and older travelers.

Would I return - of course and as fast as I can.

• Liked — the calmness
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hali2cuba2008
Calgary
Reviewed 8 January 2008

This was our second and absolute favorite stay along the Evangeline Trail during a two week road trip through Nova Scotia. My 7 year old son and I stayed 3 nights (would have stayed more but we had reservations further down the road) and couldn't have been happier with the stay.

The cabins are a nice size and nicely furnished, although not luxurious. The cabins are along a treed loop providing decent privacy between cabins and certainly from the outside world. The playground and pool were great for my son and he met lots of other kids that he played with at both.

Each cabin has a firepit so you could either have your own fire, or if you got to know your neighbours (as we did) you could share one with a nearby cabin.

These are full housekeeping units, so you are cooking and cleaning up for yourself, but if that's the type of place you are looking for, this place is fantastic!

The hiking trails around the little lake aren't challenging at all, but were perfect for a family with younger kids. The pedal boats, canoes and rowboat allowed for perfect family-level "adventure" right on the property. The lake isn't big, but its plenty for a younger family.

Our cabin was very clean and the hosts and other staff were very helpful when we had questions or concerns. Being our first mom/son trip, they put me at ease about being away from a city.

Next time we plan a trip to the east coast, we'll definately be back!

• Liked — Location and ambiance
  • Disliked — Nothing -- loved it
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled with family
A Seafaring Maiden Bed and Breakfast
Still Point Lodge & Cottages
Still Point Lodge & Cottages
#4 of 9 in Annapolis Royal

Been to Mountain Top Cottages & Campground? Share your experiences!