“very satisfying”

Ranked #3 of 5 Guysborough B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“very satisfying”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

great inn, wonderful rooms, delicious dinner. and very quiet and peaceful. i would go back anytime.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Georgia, USA
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The room (Wolfe room) was perfect, very spacious and comfortable.
We had the "Romance Package" and it was great.
The dinner by Chef Joe Mc Clane was just exquisite. The breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: Loved the Wolfe Room
1 Thank grpGeorgia_USA
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My impression of the DesBarres, from their website, was that they are a very reputable inn with elegant rooms and great services. Therefore I was really looking forward to my stay with them.

When I arrived, I was very impressed with their beautiful front lawn and the building was just as it was like their pictures on their webpage. It was, indeed, very impressive!

The room I stayed in was very nice and elegant. However there was mold on the shower curtain, but I wasn't too fazed by it as the rest of the room looked clean.

After touting and really pushing the fact that they have a high-end, gourmet restaurant, I was really looking forward to dinner as well as breakfast.

The dinner itself was a good standard affair, made with local ingredients. I wasn't as impressed with their wine list though, granted, they might not have a lot of people ordering half bottles, however, only ONE out of the 10 or dozen or so wine was available on their list! My server was friendly and kind enough to push the chef to find me something, but that might have upset the chef. Because when he came out to serve me the 2 dishes that he served everyone else, he was polite but aloof, drastically different from his attitude towards other diners, and just told me the name of the course and left; while he would spend a good few minutes with the others in explaining where the ingredient came from and such! I just chuckled and proceed to enjoy my dinner as I would any other place and time. All in all the dinner experience was decent, nothing really spectacular!

Breakfast was another story! I was highly disappointed with it! When the server told me that I was getting some pancakes for breakfast, I was really looking forward to it! Little did I know what was to happen! Just one look at the pancakes was enough to tell that it wasn't made fresh! They looked really dry and flat! When I asked for maple syrup, I was told they didn't have any! I'm shocked! It's maple country we're in and you didn't have maple syrup for a pancake breakfast! All I got was some little amount of strawberry syrupy thingy made for yesterday's dessert! I did tried to eat it. I took one bite but couldn't continue on as I could see a chunk of flour, not blended in properly, in the pancake! The poor server was as appalled as I was and was very apologetic when she told me that there's nothing else she could serve me as that was what the chef made the night before for breakfast the next morning! I had to plead with her to see if she could find someone to make me some eggs, otherwise, I would only be offered plain toast!

I honestly still can't understand, with the Inn's reputation and calibre, the food services would be this bad! I'd be quite happy if they just put out a simple continental breakfast.

I'm kind of torn in my recommendation of the DesBarres, as the room was beautiful, elegant and comfortable as well as the front end staff was really friendly and helpful, however I don't know if I'd stay there again or recommend it to my friends because of the poor food services I had experienced.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank dragonfish220
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed at DesBarres for two nights. Both the general areas and the room that we had were amazingly well furbished and decorated. Unfortunately, the weather was not so good, there weren't too many guests and we found the town and environment disappointing. Anyway, our stay at DesBarres was very good. The first night there was no dinner served hence we went to the Rare Bird local pub. It was deserted and the food on the menu was disappointing. However, the next day we did have the opportunity to have dinner at DesBarres and we selected a lobster menu which was amazingly good and, to European standards, very well priced. Again it was a pity there weren't any other guests for dinner but we had a lot of attention from the staff, the chef himself in particular. The bar and sitting area is very cosy. The bed was good and the place was clean. Breakfast was OK and served at our table. No choice but a preset breakfast however. The only draw-back from our point of view for the price of the room is that we needed to take our own suitcases two floors up and down again.

1 Thank DeKokkies
Soperton, Georgia
Reviewed 31 July 2010

We found this B&B while traveling through. The room was wonderful, nicely appointed furnishings, but overpriced. We stayed in the "Williams Room" at 259.00 a night. The bed was very comfortable and bath had a large garden tub with a shower. There was no counter surface to put essentials on in the bath. No air conditioning and the temp was 73 during our stay. The room was hot and stuffy but we were okay after opening windows. There was a ceiling fan which helped. The dining was disappointing. The chef prepared a "pan seared crusted halibut" for me and my husband. The fish was dry, overcooked and void of any taste. The beans were barely steamed and hard to chew and the seasoned mashed potatoes were pretty tasteless and cold. The chef did fix a glass of sweet, iced tea that met my southern girl standards. There was supposed to be wireless internet in the room but it didn't work and no one knew how to fix it. Check-in was slow after having to search the kitchen for someone to help. I was seen but ignored. Check out was also awful. Took 30 mins to checkout as the owner nor the one other person there didn't know the computer or how to do process a checkout. They had to call someone at their home to come in to do it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Halifax
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Searching for the perfect venue for my dream wedding, took my fiance and I from
Digby, NS, to Cape Breton, NS and many towns in between. No venue gave us the warmth, confidence, and trust that the manager offered us. Her reply to several of our concerns, was that we need not worry, as our special day should be ours and worry free…they would personally take care of the rest…and that, they surely did. There was no “do-it-yourself” checklist. I will forever be thankful, for their hard work, and especially their flexibility, which made our wedding weekend so memorable and perfect. We traveled with immediate, extended family and friends from across Canada and the US, and everyone was very pleased!

DesBarres Manor is a vision of romantic, "victorianesque", and breathtaking natural maritime beauty come to life. It is truly a hidden treasure surely to be discovered by many. A year later, we are still told it was the most beautiful, and magical wedding our guests have attended. We were married on a hill with majestic views, at the Osprey Shores Golf course, overlooking the hills, lush trees, and surrounded by deep blue ocean water on three sides. Nearby, we took photos at a sand beach, atop smooth, big rocks as ocean water hugged them – the sunset was majestic.

The rooms at the Manor are spacious, bright, with large bathrooms. Perfect for such an occasion. Chef Shaun is a definite hidden secret. His delicious meals are still remembered as well. No prior tasting was required in preparation. Once you’ve tasted his meals, you will trust he will prepare the most delicious courses and exceed your expectations. He uses in season, fresh produce…some of which are right from his own garden next to the kitchen.

At the end of your day, you will melt into the most exquisite bed sheets you’ve ever rested on. The details, attention, and care make this place truly extraordinary.

This is not any ordinary bed and breakfast. It is by far unlike any other. You’ve just got to experience it for yourself.

• Stayed July 2009
Edenton, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Stayed in multiple inns throughout Nova Scotia. This was the best one. Large, well- appointed room and spectacular dinner - one of our best meals ever. First rate all the way.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guysborough
Maritime Inn Port Hawkesbury
#3 of 5 in Port Hawkesbury
Cove Motel
Cove Motel
#1 of 3 in Port Hastings

Been to DesBarres Manor Inn? Share your experiences!