The Iona Heights Inn
Hotel North(North Sydney)
US$145
US$142
US$98
All reviewshighland villageliquor storethe pubcape bretonbras d'or lakean upper level roomceltic musiccable channelscabot trailsecond floor balconybeautiful viewsecond leveldeck overlookingvantage pointenjoy the scenerydelicious coffeewatch the sunrise
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had an amazing time during our 4 day stay at the Inn. We were there around mid-late august and it was absolutely beautiful there! I loved everything about it. The view was breathtaking, service wonderful. We really enjoyed the live music after our delicious dinner. And during the days we explored all the nearby tourist attractions and the owners were nice enough to tell us about waterfalls and other beautiful places we wouldn't have known about. I can't wait to go back next summer, hopefully for a longer stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenn B
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Besides garbage left behind tables and what seemed to be unclean comforters ( sheets smelled fresh though). The Customer service I experienced from the Manager and/or owner was absolutely terrible. I felt as though paying a hundred dollars for a "tidy" room without a working Tv or Wifi was a bit much.
As a customer care professional I know that "things" happen. I know you can expect happy party-goers to carry on well after the reception and for things to not always go as planned when working in the hospitality business. With that said; being 7 months pregnant and not wanting to stay up all night partying with the wedding party I headed back to the room early to relax. Instead I stared at a blank wall for 3 hours with no working Tv or Internet. I was up all night-due to the fact that I couldn't drown out the sound of people up all night .
When I brought this (kindly) to the attention of the manager she was rude and very defensive. We had brought it to her attention the day before that we had no satellite, she didn't ask us what room we were in and said that she knew it wasn't working right and that her husband was going to look at it. However when I told her this time around she claimed no one else had this problem ( which i knew to be untrue because three other people at the wedding told me theirs was also down, one couple had a Spanish channel only- but something non the less :))
The bottom line is I was made to feel uncomfortable, made to feel like a liar and was shown no care or compassion at the fact that my stay was less then acceptable for the price being charged. In the end all any of us want is to be heard and understood especially when we are paying for a service in which we do not receive. She gave me a discount which i felt was very fair, why she felt the need to make it such a battle and belittle me to get to that point was ridiculous. I addressed the situation with the utmost respect and didn't say a word about the lack of cleanliness of the room, in return I was treated with a less then professional attitude. Iona is so beautiful and I will be back, it is a shame the Barra Strait Inn will not get my business or my recommendation to my customers heading to the Island.

Room Tip: Upper floors have lovely view off a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Katherine F
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We spent three nights in two rooms here, using it as a central base to travel around Cape Breton. The rooms are very basic (although looking at other people's photos makes me think we had a couple of the un-renovated ones). The rooms were functional and clean, and the balcony, while in need of some repair, was an absolute joy to sit and watch the lake from. We were in the room directly above the liquor store and very much enjoyed watching the locals swing by for chatter and beer. It closes at 8 so it never gets to be too much or prevent sleep.

There is a lot of misinformation out on the web, probably from prior management. The restaurant has a much more limited menu than I found online and several people expected a breakfast. Breakfast is definitely not included in the room rate. The staff is not fully trained and the kitchen is not completely up to speed either. Every day they were out of at least one thing on the menu.

This is a relax and ride with it kind of place. If you want things to be a certain way or have high standards for thread counts or service, this isn't for you. But if you want to wake up to a pod of porpoises right below your balcony, or see a bald eagle on your drive in, and eat fish cakes that are Proustian tastes of childhood, come on in. We loved it.

Room Tip: To echo the others, get a room on the second floor for the balcony and slightly better view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This place is worth the drive .Very quiet ,we had one of the renovated rooms very nice .We met the owner Susan and she made us feel like home ,even had a chiiled bottle of wine in our room to celebrate our anniversary.They have a real nice restaurant on site great meal , also have a liquor store and convenience store .Will go back but next time will stay longer .

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd level better view of the water on the patio.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank varadero79
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I stayed mid July as we were searching for our ancestry. Susan was so wonderful we stayed an extra night. The rooms were nearly new, bed was really comfortable, everything was clean and the food was excellent. We really felt like we were staying with family. From coffee and breakfast to dinner and some nights even music from local musicians. We had an excellent time. The view is unbelievable from our room. They are doing their darn well best to get that place fully modernized and the work they are doing is first rate. Iona is a great place to visit if you are interested in timeoff. The Iona museum is within walking distance. Just a great place to stay with great people I hope to return someday.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family