“Who knew baby seagulls are so cute?!”

Cape Split Hiking Trail
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Kentville
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

June is a great time to hike cape split. Very few people, no bugs, and a colony of seagulls nesting on the rocks. Take a lunch and be prepared for a leisurely and lovely 4ish hour hike round trip with a spectacular view as a reward. So interesting to see the incredibly powerful tidal surge.

2  Thank drcatherine2014
in 2 reviews
"spend an afternoon"
"nice walk"

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This needs to be on everybody's bucket list! I just hiked Cape Split for the second time. The first time was years ago and I don't know why I waited so long. I forgot how refreshing and fun it truly was. Nature at it's best that's for sure. It took my sister and I an hour and a half each way. We weren't leisurely doing the hike though, and were actually able to jog a bit of it. First starting is a little rough but It's not too bad, over all I was pretty impressed with the trail I thought it would be worse but there's trails to take u around the bad spots. I had a sling roots bag that I took and suggest u take bug spray, camera and water. Also, make sure u wear good footwear.

3  Thank Bfly217
Reviewed 1 June 2014

It had been years since I had hiked Cape Split and after doing it I wish I had not waited so long. The trail is a little rough for the first few kilometers and mostly an uphill grade but then it levels out and becomes quite smooth while you're surrounded by wonderful old maple trees. After about 8km the trail opens up and you've made it to the end. Great views of the Bay of Fundy. Pack a lunch and enjoy the cool air and sun. Will be going back sooner than later!

4  Thank Matthew L
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We came late to the parking and pick nicking area. The trail to the view point takes 4-5 hours return. According to the map there are no viewpoints on the trail. So make sure you get there in time and have enough time left to do the trail. Bring good hiking shoes. Signs to the trail from the highway are poor but our 10 year old navigation system still found it.

3  Thank Kalluga
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've lived in this province and explored it pretty thoroughly, and Cape Split is probably the coolest thing I have experienced in this great province.

The beginning of the hike is the most difficult, with a sustained moderate incline at the beginning leading up to a ridge along the top of the cliffs. After the initial incline there is a slight incline for parts of the remainder of the trip, but otherwise it mostly features walking through some different forest profiles with occasional views of the Minas Basin (Bay of Fundy).

After a healthy hike through a mostly unexciting forest, you emerge on the very top of a gigantic cliff being constantly eroded by the world's largest tides in the Bay of Fundy. High above the cliffs you are treated to an incredible view looking down on Fundy and the giant 'split'. You can hear the tide, and see and feel the water either being vacuumed out or flooding in.

If you time it correctly with the tides, you can easily make it down to the split at sea level. There are side trails leading to a beach along the coast. But it's really important you know what you're doing for this, if you get caught by the tide you would be in very big trouble.

In total the hike should be no longer than 4 1/2 - 5 hours round trip (I usually do it in 4).

7  Thank Sam P