“not so great” 2 of 5 bubbles

Mug & Anchor Pub
Ranked #7 of 21 Restaurants in Mahone Bay
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Pub, Canadian, American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
halifax,nova scotia canada
“not so great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Found ourselves at this pub on a family outing to the south shore. Starving, so looked for a nice place by the water to eat outside. weather was nice but chilly so the deck might not have been the place to be. First the waitress was lovely, efficient and quick. that said lets get to the food. Terrible pub food if you can have such a thing. Nachos were mediocre , fish tacos were small and not very exciting and my seafood chowder looked like haddock with milk thrown on it. I found two tiny pieces of lobster and I mean tiny and for 12.00 a bowl…… the bowl was a large by the way and maybe 8 spoonfuls in it as well. Wouldn't go back.

• Visited August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank beachloverhalifax

“Ew”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Didn't enjoy my visit at all. Our server was cranky, the fish was greasy and the mashed potatoes were a gray colour. I really should have taken a picture and posted it here for everyone to see. It was just terrible. I won't be going back there again.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Tammy N
Nova Scotia
“great atmosphere, good nachos!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

A bustling pub on the bay, friendly wait staff, fair pricing. We went for cold beers on a hot day shared a plate of nachos with spicy beef. Tasty with the only disappointment was the serving of salsa. Served in little ketchup cups it was not enough and getting a full sized chip in there to scoop it up was impossible. Asked and quickly received another little thimble sized serving of salsa. Still could have used more to finish off the chips, our server was very busy, didn't see her again to ask for more in time to finish the chips. When we paid she admitted she needs several little cups of salsa they are so small. The nachos should definitely be served with a larger bowl of salsa. Seems like a great place and would love to come back to try other menu items.

Lockeport, Canada
“Poor food, poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I haven't been to the Mug and Anchor since I was a child. I thought I would give it a go and was so disappointed. I am pretty tolerant of most things when it comes to restaurants but the more I sat there the more tempted I was to just get up and leave. The service was not acceptable. I sat inside because the deck was full and got to listen to the servers constantly discuss who was serving what table, complain about being there and gossip. Four different servers took care of me - one brought me the menu and then 5 minutes later yelled across the pub for someone else to take my order. A different one all together brought my bill. The only person who bothered to ask if things were okay was yet another server who did so as he practically ran by. I also heard the servers discussing me and I was not impressed. Add to that, the food was pretty dismal. I had a chicken wrap and I don't know what that white meat was but it was not chicken. It was somewhere between lunch meat and proper chicken. For the price I paid I expected much better than that. Oh yeah and things kept sticking to the table. Never a good sign. NEVER GOING BACK.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Amanda C
“Nice waitress but bad food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Food was average at best and not cheap! But view was nice as was the waitress. Won't eat there again.

1 Thank Laura H