“Thanks for helping us out !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cove Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Hastings
Cove Motel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Port Hastings
Sussex
“Thanks for helping us out !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Beautiful location, surrounded by water views in a quiet spot off the main road. Motel rooms are "average" but bathroom and carpet seemed relatively newly renovated. Clean and comfortable beds. Restaurant meal and bar were excellent and located on waterfront, offering a relaxed atmosphere. The décor in rooms and restaurant are dated but the friendly service and good food makes up for it. We found ourselves in a real pinch when our booked accommodations were suddenly not available in Arichat ( about 45 minutes away)and EVERYTHING was booked in Cape Breton due to the Celtic Colours Festival so we were pleasantly surprised to find this little gem near the Canso Causeway. The staff could not have been friendlier! We all agreed that we would return.If you're looking for "luxury", keep looking but if you just want a quick overnight stop with no frills this is the spot. I didn't think to take pictures as we were exhausted and just glad to have a place to stay for the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sylvia W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed here for a weekend in september and must rate this place as poor- average. Actually giving it an average rating would be a bit generous. I understand that I'm not in a big city and that this is a small town without any luxury hotels or even chain hotels but that still doesn't excuse the cove to be charging as much as they do and providing an extremely dated and not very clean rooms.
The super old musty smell was quite strong when I first entered my room. The bathroom faucets and corners were either very old or not cleaned well.. Either way, I didn't want to touch it. The sheets and the bedding were also very very old. I can get over the old carpeting and the furniture but if you're charging people good money (for the area), then I expect cleanliness and at least towels and blankets that aren't super old and looking a bit dirty.
I suggest looking for a b&b with a great rating rather than to go here. They are correct in calling this a motel- it definitely is a motel from the 80's.
oh. ps. I was there for three days and there was no turndown or new towels given.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mardy J
Tony C, Owner at Cove Motel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Hi, Mardy.

Thanks very much for your specific and useful feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to do a better job making our guests comfortable.

Experiencing a musty smell or a room that is not clean is unacceptable.

We will be implementing policies for the upcoming year to ensure that your concerns are addressed. We believe and hope that most of our guests had a clean room and refreshing stay, but we want to make sure that every guest leaves happy, and we're sorry to have disappointed you.

Please feel free to send us a message on our website. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about your stay, and I hope that we can provide you with an experience that exceeds your expectations next time you are visiting Nova Scotia.

Warm Regards,
Tony
St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

and sit on one of the table out by the bay and enjoy the evening. That's what we did before heading in to a very nice meal in their dining room. We ate kind of late but the service was still excellent. The rooms are very comfortable

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the air conditioner unit
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank patricia452
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

The Cove Motel is right on the water, great location, clean rooms, great value. Highly recommend it. Some rooms, some cottages. Ask for location overlooking water. Restaurant attached, but does not serve breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking water.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nonnie741
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

The motel advertised free wi fi which was unavailable likely due to the dial up service (and We appeared to be the only guests that night).
They advertise dining until 10 pm but we were told that it was closed until. 4 pm the next day....
They room was clean but old and tired in appearance except for the intruding silverfish in the bathroom
We were told they were just opening so we would get off season rates .... $99.00 plus taxes. Way overpriced for the services rendered and room.
To add I was awakened by the maintenance staff honking car horns at 0800 right outside our room
Try the Maritime Inn..., we missed the signage due to the lateness of day.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We pulled into this motel on a wet and cold night, turned up the heat, had an excellent meal in the restaurant (see my review) and slept soundly. The older TV did not worry us. We did not use it. The small cramped bathroom was clean, but was roughly renovated, the mattress was good, an arm chair would have been a bonus, especially at $99 without b/fast. There was no noise from the road, but the walls are thin.
However, and for travellers I regard this as important: we have travelled the world on all points of the compass for 14 years and I always ask to see the room before renting unless, very rarely, we prebook a top of the range hotel (when I will also have checked on Tripadvisor). On this occasion I was flatly refused. I believe only what my eyes tell me and the response, "all our rooms are good" will not do. It is either arrogant or there is something to hide. What the desk clerk did not know was that two days previously, prior to touring Cape Breton, I had asked to see a room in case we should need to seek accommodation on the way back, which as it turned out we did. On that occasion the very kind and helpful lady gave me a key and I looked in myself, and checked that, although cold, I could see our way to staying there if need be.
The point is this. No hotel/motel should deny you the right to check the room you will be renting. I would not have stopped here to sleep had I not previewed it. That would have meant we missed a very good meal in the restaurant, run my the same owner. We would have motored on to Antigonish, where the Maritime Hotel is good, and the meals good as well. This area is the gateway to Cape Breton, There are no chain hotels and prices are far too high. Competition is urgently needed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wyntyll
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

we ended up getting stuck in Nova Scotia the ferry got cancelled so instead of going further we decided to stay here and I fell in love with this place!!! the room was very clean, bed were comfy and best of all the pillows are amazing! I will be back for a visit for sure!!

• Stayed May 2013
Coastal Inn Antigonish
#3 of 6 in Antigonish
Dundee Resort & Golf Club
Seascape Coastal Retreat

Been to Cove Motel? Share your experiences!