“Basic accommodations, great staff, nice view”
Review of Fair Isle Motel

Fair Isle Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whycocomagh
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stopped in after a long day driving. Excellent service, good price. Great view. Wish we could have stayed to appreciate the community and spend time in the pool. Lots of recent upgrades including tv, wifi, fixtures, smooth driveway.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fair Isle Motel

Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed at the Fair Isle Motel trying to avoid some of the pricier places in the heart of Cape Breton. The location was good and the area had some nice close amenities and things to do. We hiked Salt Mountain while we were there for a great view of Whycocomagh Bay and Bras d'Or Lake.

The staff was very friendly, they allow pets in the motel - rooms were very clean and had lots of nice touches such as fridge, microwave, toasted, coffee and flat screen tv. There was also a pool for kids to play in. The motel has a great view as well.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay at the fair isle and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Didn't expect a super clean, up to date (big flat screen TV) motel on the highway. Very nice room to crash!! We were super tired after 11 hours of siteseeing and when I entered this room I was surprised to see exactly what I had hoped for. This motel is for crashing, nothing more nothing less. We had the room with the king size bed... Everything was new. You could tell!!

There was an expensive place to eat down the road a little bit the Auld Brass Door Restaurant. Loved the chowder!!

Room Tip: I can only talk about the King size bed room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Another year, another great stay at the Fair Isle Motel. Once again we enjoyed the super comfy beds, the pleasant decor, the tidy pool, and the view of the lake. And once again we were blown away by the kindness and charm of our lovely hostess Christena. The requests that we had (bottle openers, room change, extra stuff, directions, etc) were all dealt with laughter and patience.

We used it as a home base for three nights, and couldn't have been happier. Not to mention - that the best fish chowder that I've ever had in my very food-oriented life, was just down the road. Fabulous!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Plans changed and began looking online for a place to catch a few zz's before continuing on - and stumbled onto the Fair Isle website.

From the quick assessment of what I could see on the scant website - decided to take a chance. Unfortunately, the picture in my mind of a relatively new property, on the shore of Bras d'or - morning coffee on the deck with water lapping at my feet - well, real life did not live up to my overactive imagination.

The property is an old 'drive and sleep' motel with a face lift of new furnishings. The bathroom door wouldn't stay closed, the floors creaked and groaned as you walked across them and the walls are paper thin so there is a lot of, shall we politely say, 'sound transference'. The queen bed was newer and very firm, there was a large flat screen in the room and WIFI worked fine. The room looked clean in all the main areas - though when the bathroom door was pushed to a closed position, there was a nasty web behind the door - so you start to wonder: what else was being missed?

I will give this to them, it is a nice view of the lake - but you are on a hill, across the TransCanada from the lake (don't know where I got the lakeshore idea in my head?) - and the tranquility is broken (until late at night and starting again very early in the morning) by traffic noise. Though I was not in it, there was a good little pool there - big enough to swim a few strokes. I also noted a trampoline on site - if travelling with kids, another area where they could burn off some energy.

The gal making the reservation on the phone was very polite and professional and kind enough to stash a key for me since I was arriving after the office closed (apologies to other guests for my late arrival - given the way the sound traveled). The gal at checkout was also very polite and professional.

There was no breakfast included to try and help justify what might have been a fair price for a newer property. Given it was already after Labour Day and into the shoulder season, the discounted $85 +++ rate for the Morningdove room was very high and not a good value for an aging property - despite the facelifts.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hawki56
fairislemotel, Manager at Fair Isle Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Thank you for posting your review.
I apologize for the bathroom door and spider web as I too would be concerned as to what "else" could be wrong, however I can assure you that the web had been discovered after you had left by the Housekeeper as she cleaned the room. The door however had not been discovered, and unfortunately we had to hear about it from the guest that had stayed in it the next night. I politely ask of you and anyone to please notify Motel/Hotel Staff of any issues so they can be attended to immediately, not left for the next guest to discover and "wonder what else". The door had been fixed in under 5 minutes.
We do have a Beautiful View, and just as our online site shows, we are up on a hill. We Overlook the Bras d'Or Lake and even though you arrived after closing, I'm so glad you were able to experience it, hopefully enjoying coffee from your room and relaxing on the bench outside below your window. The idea of sipping coffee with water lapping at my feet sounds amazing and I so hope you were able to experience that !!
Again I apologize . Thanks for taking the time to write your review !! We take each one seriously and feedback is so important to us!!
Take care,

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We arrived late in the night having driven for hours from the Eastern Shore to be graciously greeted by Christina. We were offered incredibly helpful information about Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail that proved to be quite useful along our journey! The room was ideally located, clean, comfy, and quiet. We awoke well-rested with a beautiful view of the lake!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
fairislemotel, Manager at Fair Isle Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

""""Love It, Love It, Love It """" Thanks so much for sharing ! You can hear how refreshed you were in your words and proves we're moving in the right direction!!!! Thanks for taking the time to say so :)
Hope the rest of your summer was as wonderful !!

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We had originally booked chickadee doubles, and ended up getting a free upgrade. The room was very nice, nice tv.
We even had some time to swim in the pool, 8 ft deep and has diving board.
Christena is very nice, even took time to see our pics of moose on the skyline trail.
Great location, as we checked out early, and wanted to be closer to the pei ferry.
Upon driving through the Canso Causeway at 8:30 am, we say approx 20 dolphins frolicking in the bay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy L

Thanks Amy for the lovely review :) You're pictures were great and thanks so very much for sharing them with me. It's was so much fun to hear the excitement in your voice as you retold the story surrounding the moose pictures. So happy you enjoyed your upgrade. I know what it's like travelling with kids, and sometimes just the simpliest things can make the whole trip just a little bit better :) I'm jealous though, because as excited as I was to read you saw the Pilot Whales frolicking at the Canso Causeway, I have travelled that highway for 35 years and have yet to see anything like that hahahaha !!
Hope you and the kids enjoyed the rest of the summer !!! Thanks again Amy,
Christena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whycocomagh
Margaree Riverview Inn
#1 of 1 in Port Hood
Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
Bear on the Lake Guesthouse
#2 of 3 in Whycocomagh

Been to Fair Isle Motel? Share your experiences!