“Great experience!”

Auld Brass Door
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: International Fare Wae A Cape Breton Flair aptly describes the menu which ranges from appetizers/salads/soups/burgers/pastas/seafoods/steaks and beyond...but always remember to leave room for dessert. Taste our "quietly understated" Homemade chowders and then you be the judge as to who has the best chowder in Cape Breton. Open later than others around and with "wing nights till 2.00A.M on fridays and saturdays".
Port Colborne
“Great experience!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stopped off here tired after a late bus ride, had the spaghetti with tomato sauce (I'm vegetarian), meal was great! On top of that they really helped me get to my destination. And one of the locals eating there paid for my meal. Awesome!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank DavidHhhh

Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Stop for the food, stay for the company.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was searching tripadvisor as the normal resturant which was always go to around this area would be closed at 8. I had a long day of work and decided it was time to go to the Cabin for the weekend. We left direclty from my work in North Sydney which is an hour and a half drive to the cabin. Neither of us having eaten that day would like to stop and get something to eat as we were both hungry.

There are a number of restaurants you will pass and most likely will be pizza shops. There are a number of places in the area open until 8:00PM. My girlfriend and I have eaten at a number of places around the local area. We looked on TripAdvisor and then looked at the fact that most like people in Cape Breton we would have to stop off at a pizza place and grab a slice heading to bed still hungry.

I looked through the TripAdvisor comments for the Auld Brass door and noticed that it said open until 2:00 AM. We noticed there was a bar associated with it and we thought the parts the bar was open until that time. We were pleasantly surprised when we were greeted by a woman who asked us to sit anywhere we pleased. We arrived and were very well greeted and it felt like home, it was modern, but had decrative features of the past on the wall. There was clan MacKinnon tartan on the wall and a number of other places, which was very neat as we were waiting for our food, we were able to research each of our clan Tartans as there was a tartan map and explaination beside our table.

We ordered the specialist the first time we ate there. I had the fish and chips, and my girlfriend had the chicken fingers and fries. We both loved both of them and really have to say that it was the best meal for around there. We were done after we really enjoyed our meal; I love fish and this was the best fish I've had in a very long time (my mothers excluded).

We were done for the first time and we were done, waiting to pay for the bill, Dick came over(the owner) to make sure that the food was good. We told him it was great, he offered a joke and told us about poor Mrs. MacGregor, it's a very nice and clean joke which was a smile. We shook his head and introduced ourselves and smiled and left felling very well about our choice of venue. Normally when you hit the door the person forgets your name.

Now normally I would stop there, but we were getting gas the next day at the Esso. We had seen Dick fueling up in the pump next to us and he smiled and recalled my name and said he hoped we enjoyed the beach as he had to head to work for the day. We smiled and said we might see him tomorrow or the next day. I was blown away that he could remember a customers name and likeness outside of the establishment.

The next day we ate and I had the breakfast bun. My girlfriend had the philly steak on a bun with fries. We both loved our food and it was perfectly priced. I was really pleased with coming back and the food was on the exact same par. I really enjoyed the fact that he recalled both of our names.

If you have to eat and you happen to see the open sign lit up, I would strongly urge you to go into the Auld Brass Door, and make sure to get a joke from Dick, he makes you feel welcomed and make sure that you are a person and not just another customer. This is such a place that we will be returning back to for the future and anytime we visit the Cabin, we will make sure to stop in and visit the Auld Brass Door.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Shaun M
Toronto, Canada
“Just Fabulous!!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My boyfriend and I were recently in Nova Scotia visiting family and we stayed near Baddeck. We did a lot of sightseeing during the days and had dinner the first night – and then the subsequent two nights - at the Auld Brass Door. The restaurant is larger inside then it looks from the outside. Upon entering, we immediately felt at home. Dick, the owner, did both the cooking and the bartending. Anne, who was our hostess was friendly and chatty and made us feel more then welcome. The house special that Dick made for me was fabulous. It became my “usual” drink for the next 3 nights. I had the seafood platter (again on all 3 nights) which was shrimp, scallops, lobster and haddock, with veggies and mashed potatoes. The food was fantastic – the sea food, especially the scallops – were firm and very tasty. My boyfriend had the fish and chips, chicken fingers and fries and wings – all of which he thoroughly enjoyed. There was not one night that we didn’t feel that we had not enough to eat. Both Dick and Anne were very friendly and took the time to make sure that we had everything we needed. Other patrons came into the bar and Dick knew them by name and knew what they would like to order – definitely someone who cares about his customers. The commadrie between Dick and his customers is a perfect example of what I’ve heard about the east coast people – friendly and easy going. We will definitely be heading back into the Auld Brass Door on our next trip to Nova Scotia and I – much like Norm on Cheers – will get that “feel good” feeling when Dick slides my “usual” onto the bar top.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Adela Z
Baddeck, Canada
“Friendly”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and family go to the Auld Brass Door for the food and conversation. It is very cozy and has a Scottish theme. The Auld Brass Door has lots of parking for RV's, trucks and cars . When you walk in it has a home like feeling and there is a quaint little bar to the left and a large dinning area. The owner is friendly and fun guy and the staff are friendly as well. My wife and I had the chicken Alfredo and my son had the ribs and his girlfriend had a salad with sweet potato fries, my daughters had the fish and chips and we all loved it. It was very filling and tasty. We love that they are open until 2am. They a great selection of beers, and liquor and next to the restaurants a nice little cafe and dance area. Its nice to have a restaurant of this quality in this area. We also love their club house and the hot turkey sandwiches. We look forward to going back again. My wife and I work in Alberta but live in Cape Breton so when we get home we look forward to having a night out at the Auld Brass Door.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Irishmanwalking
Shediac
“Fantastic!!!!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had a great meal there tonight, the best coleslaw I've ever had!!! What made this restaurant even better was the owner, Dick, what a nice man, the fact that the owner/chef actually came to our table and took the time to talk to us was great!!!!! Unfortunately, it's something we seldom have happen these days. Our waitress was also amazing, way to go. We will be eating there again for sure!

• Visited August 2013