“Gem in the Woods”
Review of Ridgemoor B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ancaster
Ridgemoor B&B
Ranked #2 of 5 Ancaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed 2 wonderful, relaxing nights at Ridgemoor B&B. Located on the outskirts of Ancaster, it offers easy access to the city as well as the tranquility of a country Inn. Many thanks to our host Bill for fantastic breakfasts and wonderful conversation. It was a bit to cool to enjoy all the amenities but we do hope to return in warmer times. Rooms are spacious and clean with private bathrooms. We would recommend Ridgemoor B&B to all traveling to Ancaster.

S&T

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
geezer97, Owner at Ridgemoor B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thanks for this review and I'm glad your expectations were matched. I enjoyed the breakfasts as well, the world truly is a small place. The next time I pick up a package of bacon I'll do so with greater insight.

Hope your trip back home was uneventful but if you have more time in the future for a connecting flight, do give Hamilton International a try and visit the Warplane Museum at the same time..

You enjoyed your supper at the Italian restaurant and there are also highly rated Indian, Thai, British Pub and steak houses nearby..

Hope you book again. cheers Bill

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stay almost exclusively in bed and breakfasts when I travel now, and this one just topped my list. We stayed in the twin room, which was very large, and has a private bathroom about 10 steps down the hall from the room. All the rooms were spotlessly clean. The top floor contains the 3 bedrooms, as well as a sitting room, kitchenette and an additional room with a table for eating food you bring in. Bill has many pamphlets with information about the area as well as a local map in this room. There is a lovely living room on the main floor for guests to use, nicely decorated with antiques. Breakfast is also served on the main floor in the dining room. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, bacon and an egg dish one morning, and french toast, bacon and maple syrup the second day. The syrup is Bill's own, made from trees on his property.

The property itself is gorgeous, with a long lane way that runs through the forest to the house. The pond out front is lovely, unfortunately the weather was quite cold and rainy and we couldn't walk the entire property. If you enjoy the outdoors, you will be very impressed with the property.
The B&B is only a few kilometers off of Hwy 403, making it an ideal base for travel to Hamilton, Guelph, Brantford or the Niagara region.

Bill is a very interesting and knowledgeable fellow, and we learned a lot about the area. I will certainly be returning to this B&B, probably to see the area waterfalls in the winter.

Room Tip: All rooms were lovely, but the room with the ensuite bath has a beautiful eagle-claw tub.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
geezer97, Owner at Ridgemoor B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. The area's waterfalls, over 100, are a unique attraction and make for great photos and healthy hikes. The breakfast conversations were interesting and it was a pleasure to meet you. All the best.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We booked 2 nights at Ridgemoor B&B hoping for a secure, interesting and relaxing getaway. We found it! Our host Bill was both a great host and an interesting individual. The B&B, while secluded, was easy to find and offered us a "down home" breakfast (including fruit) each morning. While we did not use the hot tub or pool, I suspect we will when, not if, we return. All in all, this B&B offered a great price and a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Since there aren't many rooms, from what we saw, there isn't a bad choice for rooms.
1  Thank firefighter28
geezer97, Owner at Ridgemoor B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

My sincere apologies for the late response to your review. Shortly after your stay I got real busy splitting firewood and just forgot. It seems you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to your return. Thanks for taking the time to post this review and for your culinary assistance.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Amazing scenery and accomodations. My wife and I enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning. We both Would highly recommend.

The service and food were great. The rooms were neat and tidy. Free wifi, swimming pool, and one-of-a-kind Ridgemoor's own maple syrup.

• Stayed: August 2012
geezer97, Owner at Ridgemoor B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thanks for the review. We had 2 fawns and a doe visit us during breakfast this past Sunday. Pool is currently in the process of closing up but the hot tub is full and warming up. The trees will be turning in a week or two. The Ancaster Fair is this W/E just 1 road west of Ridgemoor B&B.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

This Bed and Breakfast is a hidden gem nestled in the middle of old growth forest. The property is impeccably kept and you could not ask for a more hospitable host than Bill. We slept in the Back Yard Scene, but it appeared that all of the rooms were equally as spacious and clean. Breakfast was delicious (and very filling!), including maple syrup directly from Ridgemoor and honey from the apiary next door. Don't hesitate: this B&B is one of a kind. If you're travelling over the summer, don't forget your swim suit!

1  Thank Ben B
geezer97, Owner at Ridgemoor B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Well thank-you for the excellant review. Your stay was brief but it appears you enjoyed yourself.The maple syrup has been a big hit this summer and I just got in a fresh supply of honey from the hives in the front field. Xenon says it's mostly goldenrod nectar.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Just got back... one word AMAZING - Bill, the innkeeper will make you feel right at home. The breakfast was spectacular, don't forget the on site maple syrup.. yummmy! I would 100% stay here again... ; don't forget to checkout the pool!

shad

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

I'm glad your expectations were met. The pool got more use than ever this summer but the cool nites have brought the temp down to 72 F. Time to close up and open the hot tub. May-be this weekend.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I spent five days visiting Ancaster the first week of June 2012. I was there to visit, photograph, and collect information at heritage buildings and sites, for which the Ridgemoor B&B is ideal in location and in allowing quiet contemplation.

The Ridgemoor B&B is one the best B&Bs where I have ever stayed. It is in a beautiful secluded wood and utterly peaceful.

My accommodation was a very private huge suite, with windows overlooking the garden on both sides of the house. Breakfasts were great, with excellent food, cooked to one's taste, and better than excellent conversation with Bill Bell, the proprietor.

There is free wireless internet.

It is well situated, convenient to everything and anything one would like to do and see in the Ancaster area. This includes the Ancaster Village, with the Fieldcote Museum, the Ancaster branch of Chapters, Ancaster Toyota, the Shaver Restaurant, etc.

It is near enough to Hamilton Airport for easy access without any disturbance from aircraft. (I heard no aircraft when at the Ridgemore, though Bill says sometimes they can be heard flying.)

For golfers (I am not) it is very close to the Knollwood Golf Course, Ancaster [where the new course on Book Road used to be my granddad's and aunt's farm many years ago.] I noticed there are several other golf courses also reasonably close.

(For perspective, I have visited B&Bs in Canada, USA, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Netherlands, Italy, and Germany over a period of 40 years; often for very extended periods while conducting history research. This really is one of the best!)

Room Tip: All the rooms seem equally excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Thanks for the review. You must return, the main street construction finished on time and traffic moves quicker all beit with another traffic light. I found your conversations interesting but then again music history and architecture are pretty weak subjects for me.You are one of many who really like living down east.

cheers, Bill

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ancaster
The Barracks Inn
The Barracks Inn
#1 of 2 in Ancaster
Serenity Ranch Bed and Breakfast
Osler House
Osler House
#1 of 2 in Dundas
Homestead House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Ridgemoor B&B? Share your experiences!