“Pitiful”
Review of Jack Astor's

Jack Astor's
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack Astor's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 63 Restaurants in Ancaster
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My mistake, not realizing this is not a suitable establishment for three women to have an enjoyable lunch (ages 20, 57 and 80 years). Food was terrible. Pushed 1/2 of my salad to side of the plate as it was brown ends, thick veins and yellow lettuce center leaves that I usually compost. My daughter, age 20, had a veggie burger, which was the size of a slider. $40 later we left hungry and saddened that we had spent our precious time together is such an awful place. The waiter (female in small tank top) was clearly not interested in serving our table. Did I speak up wrt the food, you might ask? No, I didn't want any drama, as my mother is a gracious senior who functions with courtesy and dignity, even in today's world. Never again!

2  Thank susan k

Reviewed 12 May 2013

This restaurant has a tiny parking lot, so it’s hard to tell if it’ll be busy inside or not. We went on a Friday evening, and it turned out to be very busy but we were still seated quickly. I love that they write the time of arrival on the table, so you know they care about fast service. We were greeted with our waiter in a matter of minutes, also writing his name on our table, Jordan. This tells us that they are confident about not making many mistakes, especially when they offer a survey afterwards. We will never forget Jordan, he was super friendly, was excited by our meal choices and seemed genuinely interested in making our time great. When a waiter doesn’t have to write down what you order and there are no errors with your meal, that’s impressive. He even offered an upgrade on our meal in a way that didn’t seem like just an up sell. Service in general at Jack Astor’s was the perfect experience; you even get the door held for you.

The menu is somewhat hard to read because the font is too small and there are no pictures. We were surprised because Jack Astor’s has so many very interesting meal choices, but most of them are not described well enough. The menu seems bland and once we found what we wanted to eat, we stopped looking at it. The selection though is great, you can get pretty much anything you want at Jack Astor’s for a reasonable price and the upgrades to combos are unique to this restaurant.

The restaurant was very clean; especially noticeable were the clean picture frames everywhere. The hallway between tables was relatively small and there was a lot of foot traffic; looked like they had the entire staff working that Friday. I don’t understand why having revealing clothing is a uniform in so many restaurants, the miniskirts were frighteningly short and left nothing to the imagination but the shirts had interesting sayings on them. All the Staff were very friendly though to everyone including other staff members and tables that weren’t their responsibility. This restaurant has a fun environment, lots of televisions and fun chalkboard drawings. For being such a busy time it wasn’t too loud in the restaurant, even though it was full of people.

The food that was presented to us, incredible! Like I mentioned before, they don’t advertise enough how special their menu options are; even my Caesar salad was unique! They put some sort of seasonings on it that gives it a tangier taste and they use real bacon and fried onions on top, none of that was even mentioned on the menu. My Husband and I chose the same burger because it had absolutely everything you’d ever want on a hamburger. Served on a pretzel bun; a huge patty and a slab of pulled pork with fried onions and three, thick slices of cheese, this was the ultimate burger. The barbeque sauce they use was exciting and it literally surprised me when I took my first bite. Lucky for me, I even got two top buns! The poutine was unique and it had such a rich taste because of the feta cheese and the spices used. Our only complaints were that the plates were too small for such an epic meal and the poutine wasn’t as warm as it could’ve been but everything had so much flavor, we were not disappointed.

Overall, Jack Astor’s was a wonderful restaurant. We loved the service and the meal so much; we want to return at the earliest convenience. The incredible flavours have us wondering what other great food choices we have for next time. We openly complimented our server on the incredibly fast and perfect service we received. Jack Astor’s is doing everything right as a restaurant. Returning will pose a burning question; do you choose the meal you know you’ve enjoyed in the past, or a different option with new possibilities?

Quick-RR

Price Range: $5.99-$24.99
Cleanliness: 10
Atmosphere: 9
Menu Selection: 7.5
Service: 10
Food Quality: 10
Overall Experience: 9.5
What we’ve ordered: Sweet Potato Fries, Smoky Jack’s Burger, Chicken Club Sandwich, Vanilla Coke, Holy Smoke Burger, Gaucho Poutine, Caesar salad.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

wasn't what I expected for my first time eating there, the food was ok, but they need to learn when someone orders a steak to a specific temperature like mine medium well I don't expect the meat on the plate to still be mooing

2  Thank Jenine P
Reviewed 8 May 2013

service was horable, we waited 15 minuted and nobody asked if we wanted a drink. A lady finally came and we asked to order drinks and she commented" Im not a waitress" let me find you one, "Im a host" horable experience from the beginning. Food was cold when it arrived, we were charged for pop refills. What a birthday for my 19 year old and family

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Always of good quality and service is excellent. Looking forward to spending time on the patio. They keep updating the menu to keep it fresh.