“Best I've had in a while.”

Mi-Ne Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 157 Restaurants in Aurora
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I came here for dinner by myself. They have a bunch of booths along the perimeter, all with linen 'curtains' for a bit of privacy. Then they have booths and tables in the center. For me - a lone diner - the booth for 1 or 2 people was perfect because the backs were high enough to ensure that I had some privacy as well.

It was clean, loud enough with chatter and laughter to be lively, and the service was good. They serve soft drinks in bottles, no fountain crap. Nice touch.

The miso soup was lovely - light and fresh and perfectly salty without being over the top. No big chunks of tofu.

I had the yam tempura appetizer which was huge - 7 big pieces. But it wasn't greasy and the tempura was so crispy.

I then had the tuna tempura roll with asparagus and 'special sauce'. Also very filling, at least 7 pieces (maybe 8).

They of course bought the little half-orange out for dessert. Perfect ending to a great meal.

This is a great place for families, couples, friends and singles. It was nice to bring my ipad and surf/read while getting some good food. I will definitely return and am glad that TripAdvisor helped to steer me in the right direction.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We're regular customer at Mi-Ne and have been going there for years. It's our favorite sushi place uptown. Everything that we ordered were all outstanding - sushi was fresh, succulent fish, crunchy tempura, heart-warming udon.. They are on the pricey side, but we got what we paid. We consistently were satisfied with their quality so we kept coming back. With all the raving reviews, why the 2 stars, you asked? Today we went there for late lunch and ordered: our regular Mi-Ne special lunch, shrimp and yam tempura roll, and a new item: sushi pizza. We asked them to separate the spicy sauce on the pizza since we ate with our young daughter. We came out with full stomach, satisfied as usual. But half an hour later, both I & my husband got severe stomachache followed by massive diarrrhea. Enough said. We suspected the spicy sauce since our daughter was completely OK and that was the only thing we ate differently.
Thus the 2 stars.. we're on the caution side and not sure if we will go back there again now. Very unfortunate since we really really love this place and haven't found anything as good.

1  Thank Mrslam
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We've eaten here a few times and enjoyed the booths. There are quite a few of them so the odds are that you'll get a booth rather than being in the open, central area. The food is good, though the sushi rolls are HUGE. I can't ever recall eating such huge rolls. The ingredients are fresh. As others have said, it is pricey. On our last visit we had a lovely corner booth, but then a family with 4 young kids was placed right beside us - it spoiled the meal as they were so noisy and whiny. Overall, the staff aren't great - the didn't show much sensitivity with this placement, and seemed to forget us a few times during our meal. I won't go out of my way to return.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

My friends have been telling me to try sushi and most kids I talk to at the school where I work also tell me that I’m missing out. So I dragged my husband to try our luck. Mi Ne is somewhat near our place, so there we went on Thursday. Overall, I’m afraid I am still not a fan, not yet. While most of the food is pretty decent and the room (quite small) is neatly decorated, it’s not like the typical high end restaurant for the price that we paid. The staff is also not really accommodating on explaining the ingredients in some of the rolls, making it a bit nerve-wracking for us to order. As newbies, we didn’t come out with the wow factor that others have, unfortunately.

Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

Thanks to my GPS I found this nice small restaurant. The staff are friendly and good too. Perhaps I have too high an expectation, it is not as authentic comparing to some of my favorite Japanese restaurants in Toronto. A little on the pricy side. If you like a modern sushi place, it's still a good find.