“Different room, different perspective...”

The Little Inn of Bayfield
Ranked #1 of 8 Bayfield B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Different room, different perspective...”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My week long experience here varied from very good to "should have been better". The rooms varied greatly: I stayed 3 nights in the "Widow's Walk" and loved it - pros: super cute, great little fireplace, big jacuzzi tub (Neutrogena bath products), very cozy loft sitting area with 360 degree view and pull out couch and the room itself is very private and quiet. Cons: on 3rd floor (no elevator), short shower (if you are over 5"6 you will hit your head in there!), loud exhaust fan when loft windows open and no ability to control your own A/C which can be an issue in summer when it gets quite hot in room due to the windows in the loft...luckily none of those issues bothered me so I really enjoyed staying in this room (it also has a queen tempur pedic bed which can be a pro or con depending on if you like those mattresses). The second room I was transferred to was the "Tiger Dunlop" in the Guest Cottage suites located across the street from the Inn. The atmosphere and rooms are TOTALLY different in this building. The Guest Cottage building has a central communal sitting area with several chairs and couches, a wood burning fireplace (the smell of "campfire" is overwhelming), 2 pianos, small kitchen with ice machine, fridge, electric kettle and toaster and a nice private garden in the back. The suites are either on this same level or up one (no elevators) and all have private balconies. Some are suites are loft suites and some are also pet friendly ($50 pet fee applies). I did not like the Tiger Dunlop room (although the bathroom was quite nice); I found it to be dark and had none of the cozy charm and character of Widow's Walk. I was then transferred to room 32 which was awful: carpet old and buckled, paint on ceiling cracked and falling off, bathroom old and off putting and the blinds on the windows were the kind of thin, paper-like ones you see at home depot. The only nice part of room 32 was that it has two big windows overlooking main street which makes it bright and interesting. I was transferred back to the guest cottage to the "Tudor Marks" loft suite and stayed there for the last 3 nights (there were no other rooms available). The Tudor Marks suite was sufficient - pros: the loft where the bed is is bright (due to the large window above the bed which has built in blinds for privacy) and the bed itself is quite comfortable. Shower pressure and shower head are fantastic, the private balcony is quiet and has a pretty lush view (albeit looking at the side of a house), you can control your own heat and A/C and there is a pull out couch in the sitting area. Cons: small bathroom with VERY limited storage/counter space, weird open shower INSIDE of bathtub which would be very difficult for people who cannot step into and out of a tub that is 2 feet below ground level as well as open shower concept leads to quite a bit of water on the bathroom floor that has to be mopped up. Sleep quality can be poor depending on how early the occupants of the upper unit rise. I also saw room 30 (my parents stayed for a night while I was there) and it was very cute: bright, clean, cozy and charming with a window that overlooks main street... I would stay in that room. Their complaints were that they couldn't control their own A/C (they asked for a fan and were brought one that was covered in grease and didn't work) and that the mattress was much too firm and too high to comfortably climb in and out of. On to the food...I was very well taken care of by the chef and the dishes ranged from excellent to "could have been better" (although I only heard complimentary comments from other diners). The pan roasted chicken, lamb, scallops, crab and soups were EXCELLENT but I was disappointed with the other dinner items, especially the breads and the breakfasts (I did, however, enjoy the breakfast buffet and the porridge and my parents LOVED the lobster eggs benedict!). I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the dining room which was always busy and dining on the porch was lovely as was sitting on the upper porch for tea and reading. Paula, Kristina and Tom were very accommodating and outdid themselves with their customer service and friendly, open personalities. Free parking. Wi-fi good in rooms and common areas but dodgy on upper and lower porches (except in guest cottage where wi-fi is excellent throughout). The Inn has done a great job of facilitating activities in conjunction with local companies that provide some pretty cool experiences (list on their website). I took advantage of the horseback riding at "Home on the Range" 20 minutes away and I LOVED it. I also tried to book fly fishing but the gentleman was away on holidays. 5 of us rented the 4 person "pedal pusher" bicycle outside of the Kryart studio (where you can take art lessons and has a kids' camp program) but it was too cumbersome and although we enjoyed the ride and laughed our heads off, it took too much effort and we returned it after about half hour, sweating and pooped (at least we got some exercise!). Beautiful 5 minute walk from the Inn to the beach which is quiet and clean. Rates vary depending on rooms, $240+ for room & breakfast, $360+ for room & 3 course dinner with breakfast (based on 2 people). All in all, I would stay again, preferably in the Widow's Walk but I would also stay in room 30 or comparable room...unfortunately I would not stay again in the guest cottage. Also, I would rather pay for just the room rate and have the OPTION to eat at the Inn as there are several other places within walking distance of the inn that have really great food.

Room Tip: Widow's Walk, room 30 or comparable room, make sure you are clear about expectations.
2 Thank LeisureLadyJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Little In n from Thursday to Sunday. We had room 2 which was classed as a junior suite. It was small but vary clean, and the bed was exceptional. The weather was very hot and the A/C was working hard to keep up. They gave us a fan which kept the room cool all weekend.
Overall, the service was attentive and thoughtful. The servers at breakfast were good but the dinner we had was outstanding. We had to run for a function and the server offered to hold our dessert order for 11pm, and it was served on the upper porch at our request.
This visit reinforced our attachment to Bayfield and it wont be our last.

London, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,475 helpful votes
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We've just returned from an overnight getaway to The Little Inn, so I wanted to compose a review while the details of our terrific stay are fresh in my mind.

We were looking for a nearby inn at which to spend Canada Day. Our 'go-to' choices for this type of trip are Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Kettle Creek Inn in Port Stanley and The Little Inn of Bayfield. This time we decided on Bayfield, since the weather forecast was good and we'd be able to take advantage of the beach. Plus we were intrigued by the Inn's special Friday night menu (almost every choice was equally appealing).

When I called to make the reservation we had our choice of several rooms. The front desk attendant recommended a room in the Guest Cottage, since it offered a private terrace and a large whirlpool tub. The very friendly and professional Vanessa checked us in and showed us to The Guest Cottage. It is across the street from the main inn and houses several rooms, all of which apparently are "pet friendly." There is a large common area with sofas, tables, chairs, pianos and lots of books and a few games for the guests to use. In the winter, this would be a nice gathering spot due to the large fireplace, but this weekend we didn't really see any guests make use of the space. There is also a small kitchen area with a refrigerator for storing items, an ice maker and a kettle should you wish to make your own tea. The room wasn’t quite ready, so we went off to lunch (ended up at the ArtSee Café—a decent choice for sandwiches), and Vanessa promised someone would calls us as soon as the room was ready (and they did, about an hour later just as we finished lunch).

Our room, "Oddleifson," is very nice indeed- not especially large, but just fine for one night. The bedroom area features a queen sized bed, a dresser, a small desk/table with two chairs, and a loveseat. There is also a small LCD television and a small alarm clock. An ice bucket, two wine glasses and two glass tumblers are also provided. The all-white bed linens were pristine, and they complemented all of the wood furnishings quite well. The only jarring design note is the dated navy blue loveseat (should be replaced or slip covered in white) and the electric blue nylon curtains flanking the terrace doors (plain white sheers would look much more elegant). We appreciated the "welcome" jars of cherry and blueberry jelly, and the gingerbread cookies left on the bed were a charming touch.

The bathroom is large but a little dated, with almond linoleum flooring (a small burn mark from an iron was the only blemish), and almond pedestal sink and toilet. The large whirlpool tub also has to be used to shower, which is a little strange as one of the tub walls is fully mirrored and there is no curtain to prevent overspray. There were lots of towels but they were a little thin/scratchy. Decent Neutrogena bath products were also provided and waffle-weave bathrobes were hanging in the bedroom closet (where an iron and ironing board were also stored).

The terrace overlooked the main street and is the perfect spot for pre-dinner cocktails or early morning reading (on that note, automatic newspaper delivery would be nice too—by the time we made it to the lobby for breakfast all of the papers had already been taken). It was nice to be able to sleep at night with the terrace doors open and enjoy the breeze/night air-- the street is silent after about 10pm.

We would stay in this room again in summer months to take advantage of the terrace, but in winter months we would probably-prefer a suite in the main inn, preferably one with a fireplace, to be closer to the restaurant and bar.

The two meals we had at the Inn’s restaurant were just terrific. The special Friday night “Rewind” dinner menu did not disappoint. Our very friendly and knowledgeable server (Allison) guided us through the choices, and we loved everything we ordered. For appetizers I had the mini duck-ham grilled cheese sandwiches—maybe the best thing I’ve eaten this year. My partner had the charcuterie plate, which he also really liked (not my kind of thing, so I didn’t sample it). For entrees I had the game hen done “General Tao” style. It was *awesome*: crispy on the outside, meaty and juicy on the inside, with savoury crispy rice and a delicious glaze/sauce. My partner had the lamb—beautifully presented/garnished and delicious. For dessert I had the “Joe Louis” ice cream sandwich (terrific) and probably half of my partner’s strawberry/coconut/marshmallow “Sno-Ball” order (equally delicious). We would return to The Little Inn again just to enjoy this menu.

Breakfast the next morning did not disappoint either. The buffet of fresh fruits, juices, breads, pastries and cereals was impressive enough on its own, but then add to that a choice from half a dozen or so cooked to order hot entrees, and you have a great start to any day! I had the French toast, which was good but not the best I’ve ever had (better/more garnishes on the plate would have been nice). My partner had the lobster Eggs Benedict, which he declared were the best he’s had. We both enjoyed the chocolate croissants (light and flaky), and I liked that cappuccino was also included at no additional charge.

Given some of the recent negative reviews we were a little concerned that perhaps The Little Inn had slipped a bit, but based on our experience this weekend it is just as good if not better than it’s ever been. The rooms could probably stand a bit of an update, but the terrific service and wonderful cuisine has us already trying to plan our next visit!

Room Tip: Check out the online virtual tours of the rooms.
12 Thank Kodachrome_Dreams
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My Husband and myself have been visiting the Inn for over 10 years on an annual basis. We have tried several other Inns in the area, and none compare!
The rooms are cozy, clean and comfy.
The service is top notch!
The food is some of the best I have had the pleasure to enjoy!
We have fallen in Love with the relaxed but refined atmosphere, and enjoy the quaint sophistication of Bayfield.
My mouth waters in anticipation for our next visit.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank dantann
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Little Inn for one night March 5-6. I was planning a special 30th Birthday weekend surprise for my significant other and the Little Inn exceeded my expectations.

Vanessa and Kristine at the front desk were very professional and accommodating with both recommending rooms based on my wants and wishes, and in arranging with the pastry chef to have a surprise special cake made for my SO for our dessert.

Our room, number twenty-four, was lovely and spacious and meticulously clean, in fact, probably one of the cleanest hotel room's I've ever stayed in. You had to look pretty carefully to find any sign that anyone had stayed there before you. Lovely gingerbread cookies on the pillows were a tasty treat and a nice touch! The screened porch would be lovely in the warmer months but as it was it happened to snow heavily overnight so the view out the porch was still lovely.

Dinner, which was included in our meal plan, was excellent. Lots of choice and I really liked all of the locally-sourced content. The wine list was extensive, with 16 Ontario wineries well represented. My main course - the filet - was hands down the best I've ever had, anywhere. Perfectly done and very flavourful. The "cake surprise" went off without a hitch and it was delicious. Breakfast the next morning was also incredible - very fresh and well-presented.

I would stay again at the Litte Inn in a hearbeat and have no hesitation recommending it to anyone. I am looking forward to a return trip in the summer when we have more time to stay, and when the cute little town is more operational.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NGM
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2011

The Little Inn has the most comfortable beds and we slept well during our stay there. The rooms are bright and airy, and we really love the suites. The included breakfast is incredible, it fills you up for the whole day of activities and the staff is very welcoming and treat you with kindness and familiarity. We look forward to staying at the Little Inn this summer again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
loondon, ontari
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We absolutely love The Little Inn. We have made this our favorite getaway in all seasons. The staff are the best. Darren, the Manager, does everything possible to make your stay delightful. The rooms have gas fireplaces for the winter, porches for the summer and whirlpool tubs for year round. If you stay in their cottage which hosts 10 rooms Darren will be sure to have the natural fireplace lit in the 'common' room where you can sip wine, read books or just visit. The beds are so cozy!
The package includes a la carte breakfast and dinner with the most amazing selections.
The atmosphere is very relaxed, very hospitable - you need 2 nights to enjoy this inn.
Bayfield has great little shops, a spa and pubs to share a beer or wine with friend!
We have been going to The Little Inn for more than 15 years and never been disappointed!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
The Ashwood Inn
Cedar Lodge Motel
Cedar Lodge Motel
#3 of 9 in Goderich
The Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Little Inn of Bayfield? Share your experiences!