“worst meal I can remember”

The Red Pump Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 23 Restaurants in Bayfield
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
New Hamburg, Canada
“worst meal I can remember”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

well let me add to list of diners who left unhappy. I have to say that the wait staff were trying to please but the meal!!!
I left telling others reading the posted menu to walk on by because we just had one of the worst meals ever! The only saving grace was the beer..it came out of a bottle thank goodness.

My liver was like eating glue...lots of flour coating unseared yet overcooked...like it was steamed.
Still can`t get that taste out of my mouth.
My husband had fish and chips. Fresh perch. How can you go wrong?
It was heavily floured and clearly the oil was not hot enough to make it crispy so it was doughy.
The fries were the most disgusting...limp and extremely greasy.
What a disappointment after driving an hour and a half for a meal.
We sailed out of Bayfield Marina for several years past and the Red Pump was THE place to go for that special (expensive) meal. What the heck happened? Same owner cause I saw him wandering around.
I guess it is old and tired like I am...past its best before date!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank barbestabrooks

Toronto, Canada
“Delicious romantic atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My husband and I got married in the back garden 7 years ago and still like coming back to the Red Pump for the food and the atmosphere on the back patio. The food is delicious and upscale. The service is also great. It is a great fine dining atmosphere.... there's nothing better than the back patio at dusk on a summer's eve. I would also recommend staying there, the suites are new and modern compared to the other places in town.

• Visited September 2012
Goderich, Ontario, Canada
“Nice Experience”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We were happily greeted by Nora and Brianne and guided to our table. We had a wonderful lunch with oxtail soup with lots of meat and tomatoes in it, fresh baked bread for an appetizer. Janice had the veal and salad that she said was delicious and I had the beer battered perch and Caesar salad that was great. We indulged in the desserts and enjoyed them also. The portions were generous, service terrific and the atmosphere superb.

• Visited December 2012
Strathroy, Canada
“Great night out with friends”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Charming atmosphere, "spot on " unpretentious dinner menu with many local ingredients, cooked to perfection the chef knows what they are doing

Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced, mediocre food and amateurish service”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The Red Pump used to be a place we visited each summer. Our last visit during the summer of 2011 was a disaster. We waited over an hour between our first courses and main courses. The turkey scallopini that two guess ordered was so skimpy that I wondered if the kitchen only had one serving of scallopini left, and decided to divide it between the two orders.

I wrote the Management to let them know how disappointing the experience had been, and I never received a reply.

Hopefully the restaurant has improved over the last 18 months.

1 Thank phoenikia