“Quiet room and basic needs met”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bowmanville
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
“Quiet room and basic needs met”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed here for a few days for business. The room was clean and quiet, had a mini fridge, coffee maker and microwave and the satellite TV was loaded with decent channels. We chose this hotel due to the 20 minute drive to Mosport and it was great for that. There are plenty of regular restaurants in the area (Kelseys, Swiss Chalet, DQ, Tim Hortons) and it is right by the highway 401 interchange. The breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express with great service and a fresh selection. The pool looked good but I never used it. The big negative for me was internet access. My job demands fast reliable access and I tried wireless and with a ethernet cable from the front desk with really poor results. The other colleges in our party had the same results.

Overall a good stay but the internet speed needs to be addressed if they hope to attract any business clients.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor at the end of the hall. Very quiet when I was there.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Johnnyo_and_Kim,

Thank for your business and your detailed review about your stay with us. I am glad that you found our room to be clean and equipped with the amenities that you need.

However, I am sorry for any inconvenience our internet speed may have caused you. We always strive to provide the highest level of service our guests' deserve and we regret that we were not able to give it to you on this occasion.

Thank you for your feedback. I have taken note and forwarded your comments to the appropriate parties for consideration and improvements. We look forward to be of service to you again.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This hotel is a great example of a good basic hotel. Nothing fancy but it is modern with a very friendly staff. The rooms are large with a fridge, sink, and relatively large TV. Breakfast is included and has hot and cold items. The wireless internet is not great but is fine for basic email. The location is close to the freeway but there are no noise issues. The one real challenge is that the only nearby food outlets are fast food chains. If you want a nicer sit down lunch or dinner you will need to take a 5-10 minute drive. Once again, the hotel staff was very helpful in suggesting nearby dining options.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here while in the area for a soccer tournament.

On the upside:
- The hotel is nice and new
- Rooms are clean
- Free breakfast was high standard compared to some other hotel chains.
- Staff was very friendly and helpful
- Parking was easy
- Hotel has good access to the 401.

Two things were disappointing, one more so than the other.
1) The wireless Internet connection was not very reliable. Had I been here on business I would not have been very happy. For this trip it wasn't a big issue.
2) Temperature - we're having a strange spring, but it was warm inside the hotel almost everywhere you went, and no windows could be cracked open. In our hotel room, the thermostat on the HVAC unit was more of an on-off switch than a temperature control. We made do and I should have mentioned it to the hotel to see what could be done about it, but we were not in the room very much and never got around to it.

Room Tip: The rooms are all decent sizes. Some of the other families in our group had "suites" whi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review and I'm pleased that the majority of your stay was enjoyable.

I am so, so sorry for the WiFi issues you experienced. We are taking the Internet problems very seriously and fibre optics are being installed very shortly (we don't have our definitive installation date yet but it's this spring), so our WiFi should be top notch in no time. In the meantime, we do offer wired connections in all rooms with complimentary cables available for guest use at the front desk. We also have the 2 computers with Internet access in our 24 hour business centre.

Regarding the heating....I'm so sorry you didn't call down to the front desk. The thermostat for the heating unit is actually on the wall. We could have advised you of that immediately and you could have enjoyed a more comfortable temperature during your visit! Please don't ever hesitate to contact our staff if there's anything that you need. We're glad to help.

We look forward to seeing you next time you're in Bowmnaville!!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Driving through on a little get-away. Tourist information named it as one of the options.
Easy, accessible parking. Large, clean, bright, open lobby. Personable front desk.
Typical room, furnishings. Beds were clean with lots of pillows. Average mattress. Quiet. No movie rental option.
Used the (very warm) pool and hot-tub. Had it to ourselves.
Great complimentary breakfast in a large, bright, clean room.
Very good value.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaw51
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your visit.

We look forward to seeing you again, next time you're in town.

canada
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Was at this hotel for a recent hockey tournament, was presently surprised with the wonderful breakfast they provided not only to the hockey teams but also to the parents. Everyone in the hotel was very friendly. My daughter and I had booked at the same time and when we realized it, we called to cancel one of the reservations. It turned out the desk clerk cancelled both and upon our arrival were advised we had no reservation. Fortunately they still had one room available which was great for our needs. Kids enjoyed the pool and all in all would definitely recommend this hotel and will return in the future when needed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I apologize for the double cancellation and am so glad we had another room for you when you arrived.
We look forward to seeing you next time you're in town!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2013

It would have been a 4 star rating if it wasn't for the staff at the front desk and NO free WiFi in our room. A friend reserved a room for me and when I checked in it was almost 'concentration camp' like when they demanded to see picture id. We were there for a basketball tournament and wanted to get a bite before the first game. When I asked if we could use the breakfast room to eat in I was VERY firmly told to make sure that it is spotless when we left and NO liquor allowed. I was by myself with 16 year old girls. REALLY?????

The room was very nice and beds were pretty comfortable. Unfortunately we did NOT have free WiFi in our room because we were on the 3rd floor. The front desk wouldn't talk to me about this but suggested I call the IT phone number provided to me. After speaking with the person for 10 minutes he told me that any rooms above the 2nd floor do NOT get WiFi. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I have been in hotels on the 20th floor and had free WiFi.

The free breakfast was nice the next morning with ample hot and cold foods. It didn't open till 8am though so for us early risers we had to wait.

I will not stay at this place again unless it's the last hotel available.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear RickToronto_Canada,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and we hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

I look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future to allow you to experience our commitment to quality and service.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Pool was great !! Hot tub fantastic !! Rooms were new and clean .... Kids loved the pancake machine at breakfast good directions from the front desk staff to big chain restaurants in town... Would stay again!!!

Room Tip: Queen suite for families of 5 ... Great size
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
HIEXBMManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Wow! What a wonderful review! Thank you so much.
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again, next time you're in town!

905-697-8089 ext 153
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowmanville
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby
Residence Inn Whitby
#1 of 7 in Whitby

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville? Share your experiences!