“First time in a hotel with the dog” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bowmanville
linzmkin
“First time in a hotel with the dog”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We found this hotel kind of last minute because we had to unexpectedly bring our dog with us.

The charge for dogs is an extra $25 which I found reasonable.

The pool area was nice and the temperature of the pool was nice and warm. I found the pool a little deeper than the posted signs. Maybe they over filled the pool.

The breakfast was good and the room was clean with a fridge.

There is not a lot in the immediate area but there is a Timmys/Wendy's right there. There is a Walmart within 10 minutes drive. Its also close to the highway.

Would stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay (and hope your dog enjoyed his first hotel stay, too).

We look forward to having you visit us again!

Front Office and Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lincoln, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked via Hotwire for a night we were playing at a late-night gig nearby, and needed a local place to crash, after. Called ahead (after booking), and the staff were helpfully able to upgrade us from two Queens to a single King.
Also, we were able to negotiate a very late checkout (1pm), although I had to sign up for Holiday Inn's points program. Only took a few minutes, so I was happy to.
Room was clean, staff were friendly & helpful. Thanks!

Room Tip: Regardless of how you book, call the hotel directly afterward and see if any adjustments can be made...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your lovely review.

You can always call the hotel if you have questions. We will do everything we can to assist. I'm glad we were able to make your stay a little more comfortable!

Front Office & Sales Manager
Stella, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Checked in due to bad weather for travel on the 401 and was surprised with the contrast from my stay a week earlier at a Holiday Inn Express in Ottawa. As we booked from the car I didn't enter our IHG Rewards Club number and the reception staff couldn't locate it on the computer and had to enter all info manually with many sighs. We were given a good "storm" rate which was appreciated but were then advised that my credit card would be authorized for the rate plus 10%. As there is nothing in the hotel to buy - no bar, no shop, no restaurant, no mini-bar - I questioned why the additional funds and was advised that it was for incidentals such as long distance calls. This was a first for me at a Holiday Inn and seemed symbolic of the management attitude. Room was clean and functional but very low budget with the smallest flat screen I've ever seen and simply didn't compare to the Ottawa Nepean property.

Power went off in the night and the synthetic blanket was less than adequate. Trekked down the six flights with our luggage in the early morning and staff were available with flashlights on the second floor in the stairwell. Tried to speak to front desk staff that 611 (?) was safe and checking out but no one was interested. Some emergency management training is recommended. Understandably no breakfast was available but the computer was able to charge our account the full storm rate.

No joy at the Holiday Inn Express in Bowmanville. I'd recommend you stay elsewhere. The dollar reigns rather than client service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DebandBill
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your review.

I'm so sorry that you found our service lacking. As the entire GTA was in a state of emergency and we were offering a discounted rate (not a rate increase) for those of the hundreds of thousands of poor citizens without power who were able to make it to our location, we provided exemplary service, especially when factoring in that many of our staff (including myself) were also without power in our own homes, for our own families, for several days.
Every hotel you stay at pre-authorizes your credit card. Most hotels do this behind the scenes as their system is interfaced. The new chip technology to enhance the client's credit card security is, unfortunately, not presently compatible with all property management systems, ours included. This is rapidly changing as technology advances.
The pre-authorization is for room and tax plus 10% in the event of incidental charges (laundry or long distance). If you do not incur any of those charges, your bill will reflect a final total of room and tax only. I hope this clears up any confusion.
We would have provided the Express Checkout form under your door illustrating this had the power not been turned off to our area overnight so that the Hydro companies, who were working diligently (and are still staying with us today, trying to restore all service to the area), could facilitate necessary repairs, allowing many of the people in our town (and the surrounding towns) to have lights and heat for Christmas in the -16 degree temperatures. We were grateful to hear (although after the fact) that the outage experienced at the hotel was planned and implemented during the times it would offer the least inconvenience to the residents affected. Unfortunately, even today, many people are still without.
As I worked alone on the desk until 3pm Sunday trying to deal with the massive, unexpected influx of reservations and phone calls from desperate people, with sometimes so many lines on hold that the system wasn't able to handle another incoming call, if you had to wait I apologize. It was completely and totally unavoidable.
The other emails, comments and letters we received commending us for how well we handled the emergency were very much appreciated, and I am very proud of the professionalism and dedication shown by each and every employee of this hotel and have told them so, personally. I'm going to conclude this by saying that I hope each and every one of the guests who had to stay with us during this awful time are now warm and safe in their homes and I sincerely hope that, despite the circumstances, they all had a wonderful holiday.

Should you have any additional questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Just checked in after a nice but long day of travel and visiting. Hailie at the front desk efficiently checked us in and then brought me some milk for our tea. Very much appreciated. I love when there's good value and a personal touch.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your lovely review.

I will ensure that I pass on your kind words to Hailie. She will love knowing that she made a difference.

We look forward to having you stay with us next time you're in town!

Kim Shields
Front Office & Sales Manager.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for business for a week and booked through Priceline.com. Overall it was as expected, was not overly busy, overly loud and was clean. The rooms were cleaned daily and not a thing of mine was touched. The breakfast in the morning was decent with eggs, pancakes, cereals, fruits, juices, breads, a meat (sausage or bacon) which is all included. The front desk was accommodating when I asked them a question. I would stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you visit again, the next time you're in town.

Front Office & Sales Manager
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here on and off all month. I'll be honest it was Nothing special but way better then crappy hotel. Hot tub was out of order one day of our stay, wifi didn't always work. Rooms were always tidy (but often a bit of dust was found in our rooms around tv and lamps primarily).
On our first night stay I gave my husband trouble for having smelly feet .......to later find a pair of someone else's socks at the head of the bed when packing our stuff up the next day! I left a note in room for housekeeping because as much as it shouldn't happen I'm sure it does!!
Used it often sun-fri seldom on weekends really wish they would offer a deeper discount or after 3 nights one free (gets pricey even with a discount, would have stayed a lot more if they could have got price around $100 a night with tax!).

Overall not perfect but much better then most and as much as I'm usually not one to review hotels. I would still reccomend this one!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you so much for posting your review.
I'm sorry for the issues you experienced and will bring your concerns up with housekeeping.
Please, if you have a problem with a room, mention the stay date and the room number in your review. This allows us to take up the issue with the specific staff members responsible.
We pride ourselves on cleanliness here, and receive compliments with every inspection. We want to ensure that we are consistently providing service to the high standards our guests have come to expect from us.

We look forward to having you visit us again next time you are in Bowmanville.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

There wasn't anything remarkable here. Standard rooms are pretty newly furnished. Bathrooms are spotless. Breakfast is good - but could use some healthier options and larger eating area.
Didn't get to the pool - but it looked good/small.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HIEXBMManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.
IHG relies heavily on guest feedback when setting their brand standards so it's very important to have your say regarding what you would like to see on the breakfast buffets.
Keep the comments coming!

905-697-8089 ext 153
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowmanville
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bowmanville
#2 of 3 in Bowmanville
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville? Share your experiences!