“Noisy A/C”

La Place Rendez Vous Hotel & Convention
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Fort Frances
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here 3 nights with work.
I had stayed here before about 10 years ago and had good memories of it from then. The hotel hasn't changed much as far as I could tell, just older.
Well everything was good until my first night sleeping. It was getting pretty warm outside, so some of the rooms were running their A\C units (under-window mounted). In the middle of the night, I was awoken by what I eventually figured out was an A/C unit from a nearby room. It woke me up because besides being quite loud, it wasn't a steady running noise, but an oscillating louder-to-quieter rhythm. (I always sleep with earplugs in, and this was loud enough to wake me up through the plugs). Long story short, I lost about 1.5 to 2 hours of sleep, and only was able to eventually get to sleep by sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed. I assume the noise was louder at the head of the bed because of vibration through the walls. Also, the A/C unit in my room had a broken/missing temperature dial, so you couldn't set the level. I wasn't too pleased. But other than that issue, everything was fine, with a nice restaurant and bar area, with a beautiful view of the water. The room was also spacious and clean. I would likely try to stay at the Super 8 next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

What a relaxing way to enjoy your early morning cup of coffee,looking out to the south
And seeing the morning shadows dissipate gradually.
You are about 1 K from the downtown area and the minnesota border.
There is a beautiful walkway that passes from the rendevous
All along the waterfront for walking and running.
Also a bike path well kept up
If you wish to ride the 2k shoreline right from the patio of your room.
The meals are excellently prepared,room service and/or dining room.
Nice easy listening bar separate
And well run also facing the lake.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I was working in Fort Frances for 4 weeks from the start of January 2014 until the start of February. I stayed in one of the cabins they offer. They gave me a great rate for the time I was there. It had everything I needed, full kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room. The housekeeping forgot to clean the oven. They had sprayed it with oven cleaner and forgot about to clean it out. Good thing I don't cook much. Other then that the place was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was my first meal at my new 'local'. When reading what I am about to say, keep in mind it was New Year's Eve and the restaurant was busy.
Straight away, the kids were given paper and crayons to draw with, which is always a bonus in my book. Our waitress was extremely polite and attentive.
The meal was a rather disappointing mixed bag from a possibly over-worked, under-inspired chef. My calamari starter was fried, dry and tough, with an inappropriate and bizarre-tasting tartare sauce. Our bruschetta was passable though drowning in tomatoes, but not the worst we have ever had. My husband's main course, a chicken kiev, was overcooked and dry. My prawn platter was mostly fried and again, the sauce just wasn't the right fit.
Service from the wait staff was cheerful and attentive in the Canadian tradition. The service provided by the barman might have benefited from a smile or a friendly greeting.
We finished the evening with a nice bottle of Mumms French champagne for the princely sum of $85.
My review might be tough, I know, but I need my new local to be a place I want to go.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CaramutJane
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Would never stay elsewhere. This is the best place to be, especially in the summer. With the restaurant next door that is open all the time, a traveller cannot be wrong to stay here. The front desk staff are always available and welcoming.

Room Tip: Always try to book a waterfront room. If not able to , ask for a room near the end of the long hallw...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013

It satisfied the country in me by facing the water and having a fabulous view. It satisfied the City in me by having free wireless, business facilities and great food ( I guess that last one is country too). My flight out was late and they accommodated by letting me stay in the meeting room to work for a few hours. Very reasonably priced. My only fault, and it isn't theirs, is the fact that Bell phones don't work well here. Even with a U.S plan even though I was in Canada,, the reception was bad. I would definatley stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Beautiful drive from Thunder Bay to Fort Frances, very scenic, especially the area know as the Lake of the Woods about 20 Km outside of Fort Frances. the Rendez Vous is in a beautiful location, right on the Lake. I was lucky enough to have a lake view room on the ground floor with a door that opened up to a small deck overlooking the lake which was literally steps away. I made sure that I awoke early to witness a sunrise and I was not disappointed. The lake was so still, it was like a mirror. I could hear ducks on the water and the colour of the sky made for some very nice pictures. While the hotel itself might be considered 'tired', the rooms were clean and thanks to the fresh, clean air, I slept like a log. Spent time in the lounge on wing night and the restaurant filled up quickly with both locals and guests. Service was quite good and the food equally so. Breakfast in the morning in the main dining room was quick and friendly and all was was very reasonably priced. I would stay there again without hesitation!

Room Tip: lake view is the only way to go
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Frances
Copper River Inn & Conference Centre
3 mi away
Super 8 Fort Frances
Super 8 Fort Frances
#1 of 4 in Fort Frances
AmericInn Hotel & Suites International Falls
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Interna...
#3 of 8 in International Falls
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in International Falls
Days Inn International Falls
Days Inn International Falls
#5 of 8 in International Falls

Been to La Place Rendez Vous Hotel & Convention? Share your experiences!