“A Necessary Indulgence”
Review of Ste. Anne's Spa

Ste. Anne's Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I had the extreme good fortune to be sent to Ste. Anne's spa for a two night visit back in February. My sister-in-law and I shared the "Wicker" room in the main building of the Ste. Anne's complex. Despite the fact that it was the deep of winter, the spa was fully booked, yet it did not feel overcrowded by any means! We had planned far ahead and booked all of our treatments at least a full month in advance and so were able to get everything we wanted...don't leave this to the last minute as you may be disappointed.
The grounds, even in the middle of winter, were beautiful and so peaceful with a covering of snow, and we fully appreciated lodging in the main building as we were literally able to stay in our robes all day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What a treat! And no one looks askance at you if you show up for lunch with "spa hair"!! Do try and remember your sandals or flip flops for getting around, although they do sell some in the gift shop if you forget, or you can wear the ones provided in your welcome kit.
Our room was tucked away up a "secret" staircase accessed through the quiet reading room or the dining area. The building is very old and our room was decorated to maintain that feeling, with a comfortable queen bed and a single in one large dormer type room with an attached bathroom. Be forewarned that there are no televisions or phones in your room, but you won't feel the lack! Everything was clean and well maintained and the turndown service even closed the wood shutters at night to ensure privacy and darkness!
I was a bit apprehensive about eating at the spa as I am both wheat and dairy allergic, but I really should have done my homework because I have not eaten so well since I've been diagnosed! The menus, which offer a good variety, indicated allergens for each item, and over the seven meals we enjoyed I only repeated coffee and tea and the excellent almond crust “pizza.” Everything was delicious, fresh, often organic, and of a very high calibre. I’m told the afternoon “cream tea” is amazing, but couldn’t partake for obvious reasons, so I stuck to the delicious, homemade hummus and bean dips!
The main reason for going to a spa is obviously the treatments and Ste. Anne’s does not disappoint in this area either. The Earth Stones Facial was the highlight of all the treatments that I tried (four in total) and should not be missed. I’ve never experienced that level of pampering during a facial. Generally the products used during treatments were Aveda and included Aveda aromatherapy singular notes to help enhance whatever you are having done. They also have a small shop where you can purchase all things Aveda to take home with you.
Finally, I would like to mention my two absolute favourite features of Ste. Anne’s spa: the activites, and the Eucalyptus Steam Room. I signed up for Yoga classes for all three days that I was at the spa. The yoga instructor was excellent and no two classes were the same; in fact they were somewhat foundational for those of us who were at the spa for the whole weekend, building on previous classes. By far my favourite activity however, was sitting in the Eucalyptus Steam Room...it is worth the trip to Grafton just to use the Steam Room. The heat, the scent; you could feel your pores opening up just walking in the door. I loved it! And there was something magical about running from the Steam Room to the outdoor hot tub overlooking the snow covered hills and then jumping into the icy plunge pool and starting over from the beginning again. Amazing. I’ve heard the gardens are not to be missed in the summer time, but for me, the stillness and peace of Ste. Anne’s in the winter will be what draws me back next year.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank akoba

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I was with a group of 8 girls who thoroughly enjoyed the "Pure Bliss" day-spa package. Everyone enjoyed the tranquility, their spa treatments, our group stretch class, the food and other facilities. It was a super way to unwind for all of us being only one week until the big day. The facilities are top notch and the service is great. The food was deliciious although portion sizes are small. It was the first time for all of us and we ALL are hoping to return!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Luvtotravel2004
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My daughter and I experienced an extremely peace filled weekend. Surround by quiet beauty we spent a weekend of bonding and sharing, meditating and pampering. St Anne's is a place where one can find peace within. My daughter and experienced the wonderful wraps, massages and baths that St Anne's offers. The food was wonderful, the staff were polite and wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank psmith_115
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I took a couple of my colleagues on a "thank you" weekend at Dorset Manor to treat them to a little pampering at the spa. Our experience far exceeded my expectations. The facility was beautiful and well designed with great character and ambiance; the food was impeccable and much more plentiful than expected (afternoon tea was particularly pleasing and surprising); rooms were very nicely decorated, spacious and comfortable; the spa treatments were commented by all as the best they've had; and the staff - from front desk to therapists to dining staff all treated us wonderfully. I highly recommend this spa for persona or business pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank GarsonThornhill
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My wife and I were fortunate enough to have chosen this spa for our anniversary weekend. What an amazing spot! From the moment we arrived 'til we left, we were pampered and fed like kings and queens. The spa experience was amazing, and the food is really spectacular. The grounds are so beautiful, especially now with all the perennials blooming. The outdoor pool was warm and inviting, and the hiking trails gave us a touch of nature in the beautiful Haldimand hills of Northumberland.

We had a suite directly above the reception (Christine Agatha) which was well appointed with a huge bathroom featuring a double soaker tub and shower. The king bed was in a massive room with high ceilings and views out to the hills and the landscaped courtyards below.

Each of the four meals we had were simply amazing. The chef and his team served creations that were not complex but very well thought-through. The staff were warm and genuine; something that is hard to find in resort-type settings. Despite being busy with the 'day' crowd, this spa never felt crowded or over-run. The room was quite and romantic, and we had a fabulous time.

We will be coming back to Ste. Anne's as often as we can!

Thanks, Jim and your wonderful family and staff. What a gem!

Mike and Janet Brown

Room Tip: Ask about last-minute specials.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VACanuck
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I had no idea there were places like this. They take care of your every need and everyone does it with a smile. Extreme value here for everything. Absolutely amazing.

Room Tip: indicate how close you want to be to the dining rm
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jenniferg88
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I have to say the experience was above what I imagined. A very high level of professionalism, expertise and standard. The therapists are phenomenal. Danielle produced an amazing quality work and was phenomenal. Emily has an excellent technique and was very thorough.
I was impressed with every aspect of the experience. The food and teas are superb, high quality and very tasty. Amazing ! Amazing !!!!!
We were not able to tip which was the only negative thing.

• Stayed: June 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#1 of 2 in Keene
Golden Beach Resort
Golden Beach Resort
#5 of 8 in Roseneath

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!