“Can't get any better than this!”
Review of Ste. Anne's Spa

Ste. Anne's Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
Toronto
“Can't get any better than this!”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

They pretty much have it right. And when they don't, they fix it 'til it is. They don't really need this review. Their excellence has been well-documented by reviewers both here and on other sites. But there were too many moments of wanting to pinch myself that I needed to write'em up! I'll try to keep it brief, :)

I went for an overnight stay with my gf to celebrate her birthday using a coupon voucher. Yes, they do coupons, they also seem to have a relationship with spalotto.com; making things more affordable for those on a budget. To address that point, the pricetag does look steep -- and make no mistake, this isn't a value lodge -- but it's not as bad as it first appears. The pricetag includes four multi-course meals (breakfast, lunch, tea time & dinner), includes a hundred something credit for a spa service that's potentially re-imbursable by corporate health plans, credit for a wellness class, and unlimited use of their grounds (pools, tennis court + ball machine [I'm a bit of a tennis nut], steam/sauna rooms), and unlimited drinks (coffee, tea & flavoured waters) and granola! Spoiler: expect great things from their granola. Overall, you get what you pay for here, IMHO, and thensome, making this an awesome value, hence the reason why they're #1 in the country. Now, the details...

Facilities:
Stayed offsite at one of their houses (Eagle's Nest). Nice and clean, no issues with getting shuttle rides to/from the house when needed. Working fireplace, high ceilings, spacious rooms. They didn't have the room ready when we arrived, but that's likely because we got there before the official checkin time; despite that, they were still apologizing profusely for their tardiness. Their main house had beautiful views of Lake Ontario, so waiting for the room wasn't a problem. Trails across rolling hills would lead into some interesting forests & streams, we saw a woodpecker!

The steam rooms & pools that we tried were nice, clean, and functional (i.e. hot water was hot, not warm). Their piece-de-resistance was their Eucalyptus steam room: if there ever was such a thing as a healing chamber, this would be it, :P We could've stayed in there forever.

Food:
Their dining room has a wonderful view, they rotate our table location for every meal, giving everyone a chance to sit by the window. We were lucky enough to get the window seat during lunch, when there was the most light. One word: breathtaking!

While I'm not really one to know haute cuisine, I would consider their food haute cuisine. But you get filled up too, like at a buffet, but better quality food.

The sad and great thing about our stay, was that there was so little time to experience everything the spa offers for our overnight, that you sometimes end up being time-crunched. We ended up being a bit late for our breakfast & lunch times, but there was no problem getting us in and providing the full experience. We were worried we had to give up our lunch dessert to get to our couples massage on time, so when they matter-of-factly provided take-out containers for our dessert course that we didn't even start, they earned their gold stars, then and there.

People:
Without reservation, this is what defines this Spa. You can have destinations that have the best food, the winningest facilities/location, but if your peoples (and their service) is sub-par, you're not going to get far. (Yes...I had to quit the underground rap scene...it was getting too commercial).

We were likely nowhere close to their worst patrons, but we likely weren't their easiest. Neither of us have stayed here overnight, so we were clueless on what to expect. There were plenty of questions, as well as demands, as this was supposed to be a surprise stay for my gf; so reservations, notifications, reward point allocations, all needed to be handled a bit different from normal. The staff handled it all gracefully; patient with every question, request, comment or backstory that we had throughout our stay.

It's crazy how the word "no" is seemingly missing from their vocabulary, or how they never learned to frown. But it's not like they're barbie & ken dolls: they talk like people (just really positive people), about their families, their experiences, etc. It sort of makes you think of sending them your resume...:P

Misc:
You can mostly tell from the way the business owner replies to the negative reviews they receive here (unlike others I've come across), that they're heavily invested, and truly committed, to making every customer experience a 5-star experience. In our situation, there were some issues with the communication of the deal package (what we initially received wasn't what was stated in the coupon details), leading to some extra payment. I sent in an email with some feedback, sent on a Sunday night (around 9pm) , and less than an hour later, a reply was received from the Operations Director (to be fair, the feedback was sent directly to him & others) that got the ball rolling towards a credit of that extra payment. The refund was nice, but the standout act was: who checks their work email at 9 pm on a Sunday AND replies back within the hour?!

There's a lot more I can elaborate on, but I promised to be brief. So in closing, kudos to this business for having the zenith of product, service and environment in the Spa industry. I look forward to coming back for your fifth star (i.e. consistency).

Room Tip: When we told the hosting staff we were staying at the Eagle's Nest, their eyes lit up and told u...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Dan L;
Thank you very much for listing the positives you had during your stay at Ste. Anne's. As we are always striving for ways to improve and enhance the experience of our guests, your thoughts and feedback are critical to our success. I would like to apologize again for our error you had mentioned and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our management team, to ensure our procedures reduces the likelihood of this happening to our future guests. Again, thank you very much for your compliments and we look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Kingston, Canada

8 Snuggly robe
9 Feathery Pear Tea
10 Comfy couches to relax before spa services
11 On-schedule spa services
12 Eucalyptus Steam Room (worth mentioning more than once)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank L0VEpeaceJ0Y
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear LOVEpeaceJOY;
Thank you for your review and we appreciate your kind words regarding the atmosphere and experience. We work as a team to create a warm and welcoming environment for all of our guests and thrilled that you had enjoyed "12 hours of bliss". We will look forward to your next visit.
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My mom and my two sisters decided that this year in lieu of buying birthday gifts for each other we would spend a weekend away together - just us girls. After careful consideration we decided for a spa get away in the fall at St. Anne's. What an wonderful experience. Timed slowed down and two days felt more like a week. We enjoyed wonderful meals together, swims, walks, quality time and of course the spa services. Before we left we were already getting out our calanders to look at dates for next year convinced that this should become an anual getaway. I am so thankful for our first time spa experience and that I could share it with the important women in my life. I highly recommend a St. Anne's getaway to those looking to reconnect with self and others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Darlene F
Dear Darlene F;
We appreciate you taking the time to write this wonderful review and we are humbled to share such a memorable first experience. Thank you for highlighting our property, amenities, signature spa services and cuisine. It was our pleasure hosting you, and will look forward to another girls getaway.
Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just returned from a fantastic overnight stay for some much needed 'me time', This was my second stay at Ste Annes, and it will definitely not be my last!

The team at Ste Annes are welcoming and kind. They made me feel welcome and at ease. My room was ready upon arrival. Front desk team here are friendly and accommodating. I stayed in the Canopy Room. It was gorgeous and well appointed with beautiful antique pieces, and a very comfortable bed. Everything was immaculately clean and comfortable. I will be requesting this room whenever I return! Loved the fireplace too.

I had the Moor mud hydro wrap for my treatment which was something new to me and super luxurious. Breanne was super professional and pleasant. As someone who frequents spas, I have to say that the employees that I encountered seem to really love working for Ste Annes. The eucalyptus steam room was nice, as was the outdoor hot tub. I used these in the evening as it was a quieter time.

The meals were excellent!! I especially enjoyed the braised beef for dinner and the desserts. The festive flare tea is delicious as was the peppermint cocoa. The service was generally excellent, and there was a lady hostess who remembered my name after my first time down. There was also a gentleman in the dining room who was so pleasant and welcoming. (regretfully I didn't get their names).

The entire spa is filled with festive décor and love the interesting antique pieces and old photos throughout. The new sitting area is really nice, it wasn't there last time I was here. Lots of places to sit and read and laze about. When I arrived there was no snow, and when I left it looked like a winter wonderland. Such an amazing place with breathtaking views.

The bakery has some yummy items that make great gifts. I stopped on my way home. I hate to say anything negative, but I felt this time that the customer service in the bakery was lacking this time. This is unfortunate, but does not affect my view of Ste Annes as the bakery is a separate store.

I look forward to returning to this amazing place. Ste Annes is one of a kind, and is definitely heaven on Earth!!

Room Tip: The Canopy room is amazing!! It was rustic and charming
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear fullager;
Thank you for your review! We must say it is an honor to receive such positive feedback and we will continue to strive to meet each guests expectations. We aim to offer excellence in service and hope to create a unique environment for relaxation, but it seems we missed one area during your stay. The inconsistencies in service that you observed are certainly not to our standard as such we will continue to retrain where necessary. Your words of encouragement are much appreciated and we look forward to your return one day.
Courtice, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My friend and I frequent Ste. Anne's once a year, and have been visiting this wonderful place for probably close to 10 years. We are either day spa guests or we stay overnight. In both cases, the accommodations.are peaceful and relaxing. Ste. Anne's staff always focuses on making all guests comfortable and welcome. The reception area is always helpful, as well as the hospitality staff in the restaurant. The food offered is plentiful, and I respect the fact that Ste. Anne's uses sustainable practices both in their restaurant (by sourcing their own meats, fruits, herbs, and vegetables whenever possible) and in their laundering. The RMT and esthetics team is personable and experts in their fields. In fact, I had the best massage I have ever received upon my last visit (thank you, Ryan)! I look forward to visiting this destination again this summer. Thank you, Ste. Anne's team, for making me feel so special!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear LisaM1232013;
It was our pleasure to make your return stay a fantastic experience! I will be sure to let our staff know how impressed you were with their service. Your mention is very encouraging and helps us to ensure that we continue on this track of excellence. Thank you for your kind review.

1. Easy drive from Toronto
2. Lovely Ste. Anne's Bakery (all gluten fee) to stop in en route
3. Beautiful architecture - feels like the English countryside
4. Immediate service that was welcoming, efficient & accommodating
5. Casa Del Sol cottage was convenient, spacious & perfect for a group of 5 women
6. Spa Robe was warm and comfy
7. Relaxed atmosphere - no makeup ,no need to wear anything other than the robe!
8. Eucalyptus Steam was aromatic, and soothing
9. Outdoor 3 temperature hot tubs were cozy yet refreshing
10. Hiking trails hat magnificent views of Lake Ontario & were well-marked
11. Meals were interesting, tasty and accommodated my nut-free and gluten free friends!
12. a Wild women's special getaway!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear PaigeB1;
Thank you for your great review! We are so pleased to be able to make this a relaxing experience for you. We always strive to offer the best in service and quality to our guests and we look forward to another memorable stay!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I had been dreaming of going to St. Anne's for about 10 years. On my 40th birthday my husband made this dream a realization. After building an idealistic St. Anne's retreat in my mind over a span of 10 years, there was a risk of having my expectations shattered and being left disappointed. This couldn't be further from the truth. My St. Anne's experience was all that I imagined it would be and more. The entire staff do a wonderful job of making you feel welcome and taken care of. There was not one staff member who didn't pass by me without a friendly smile. It was as though it was the entire staff's mission to make your stay the most pleasant experience it could be. From taking your baggage up to your room before check in time while your room is being prepared, to offering you a bit of both salads when you show indecisiveness on your appetizer choices, or happily adding a last minute spa service, and taking the time and care to ensure you are happy with your new itinerary. The aim is to please, and that they did.

I stayed in the Blue Room which looks exactly as it does in the picture. It was perfect for my solo stay but would also be suitable for 2 people. There are buckets of treated logs in the hallway for guests to use freely in their rooms. Facilites were very inviting and kept very clean. It seemed as though staff took pride in their work and St. Anne's. This was further validated when I saw Richard, who had approached me during dinner to see how I was enjoying my stay and accomodations, cleaning the glass tops of the tables in one of the lounge rooms about one hour later. I'm not sure what his title is but I'd bet that cleaning wasn't part of his job description.

I had 3 wonderful spa services and did a yoga class. I took advantage of all the facilities, lounge areas and quiet rooms which were all very accessible and inviting. I stayed for 2 nights (Dec 3-5) and in my opinion, this is the perfect length. My goals were to re-energize, relax and be pampered. With the help of St. Anne's and the wonderful staff, my misson was accomplished. I will definitely be returning (hopefully with my husband on our anniversary) in the very near future.

I applaud St. Anne's for running such a well organized, well kept and soothing spa.

One last tip - St. Anne's allows you to bring your own wine or alcohol, which they will happily refrigerate and bring out as needed.

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Inn if you like the idea of walking in your terry cloth robe for the majority of th...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Makirz;
Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to have you as our guest! We are especially pleased to learn that you enjoyed our signature spa services and must agree, Richard is fabulous! Your comments on our food, accommodation and facilities are appreciated in combination with the warm customer service provided by our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ste. Anne's to share the experience with your husband.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Comfort Inn Cobourg
Elmhirst's Resort
Elmhirst's Resort
#1 of 2 in Keene
Mackechnie House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!