“Better than Vegas on my 25th!”
Review of Ste. Anne's Spa

Ste. Anne's Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
“Better than Vegas on my 25th!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Been super stressed lately and haven't taken a vacation in ages, so I decided to steal away for a solo getaway to Ste. Anne's Spa to celebrate my 31st birthday. I won a bid online for an overnight stay including round-trip train tickets from Union Station. I told my boyfriend that I'd "check it out first" and that he could come next time ;). I swear, quiet time to myself in the middle of a crazy work and school schedule felt better than celebrating my 25th birthday in Vegas.

I chose the synchronized tuning and 1 hour massage. The synchronized tuning was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I was able to experience everything I had wanted to: exfoliate, body wrap, face/scalp and foot massage and a lotion application. Devon was fantastic and I definitely fell asleep at some point because I was so comfortable and relaxed. I did a walking trail, visited the horses, went swimming and experienced the eucalyptus steam room, hot tub and cold plunge pool. I even had time to try their foot massage chairs, which were actually quite awesome.

Food was really great and you can bring your own wine, which they chill for you, no problem. I was never hungry, however I can see if some people may not feel "stuffed" after each meal. The food is more on the gourmet side so the servings aren't huge but they are quite delicious and satisfying.

Everyone at Ste. Anne's was so nice and pleasant. Even though I had to switch rooms late at night, they were extremely helpful and accommodating. I am definitely coming back again and bringing my boyfriend to experience some amazing R&R. It's so quiet and serene - just the perfect place to getaway from the city without having to travel too far.

Room Tip: Main house is best, but cottages are also cute.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
SpaGuyJim, General Manager at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear RoRO683,

Thank you for taking the time to share your visit, and for choosing our property to celebrate your birthday. Although visiting with friends and loved ones can be an incredible experience, sometimes a day or two of quiet time in a restorative environment like Ste. Anne’s can make you feel like you’ve been away for a week. We are so glad you enjoyed your services, meals and all of the facilities at your disposal.

Thank you for your generous praise and hopefully we will see you soon along with your boyfriend!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
London, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

St. Anne's Spa offered our 3 generations more than we ever imagined. Arriving with my mother and daughter we noticed that our relaxation began as we drove up the meandering country driveway and continued long after our departure. We were greeted as special guests to this magical home, with staff going above and beyond to make our stay relaxing and enjoyable.

My daughter and I stayed in the "Cathedral" room and enjoyed the mixture of numerous architectural, antique and modern features. My mother stayed in the "Garden" room and after leaving our lovely fire in our sitting room went to her room to relax in front of her own 2 fireplaces in both her bathroom and bedroom.

Every meal was exquisite and every detail was observed. We chose to arrive at the dining room in the Inn's white robes for 2 of our meals after seeing many others arrived in this comfy attire.

Before going to our Spa Treatments and Yoga and Meditation Wellness Classes we thought we had already found our way to full relaxation. We quickly learned that the true feeling of relaxation had only just begun! Soon we were in full bliss!

I awoke on November 11th, Remembrance Day, to see staff line the outdoor lane with poppies on both sides. Staff honoured the 2 minutes of silence and demonstrated respect on such an important day.

As my teenage daughter slept-in as most teens like to do, and my mother read her daily paper while enjoying her morning coffee, I enjoyed a bike ride on the country roads and looked at the beautiful Spa Cottages that I hope to come back to enjoy with a group of girl-friends.

When I find myself becoming caught up in the busyness of work and life, I find it helpful to think back to my weekend of bliss. Just remembering the relaxing time I enjoyed with my mom and daughter helps me to return to the inner peace I experienced at St. Anne's Spa.

Room Tip: We thoroughly enjoyed the Cathedral Room - a multilevel intriguing space with ample room and beautif...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear thisgallovestotravel,

Thank you for sharing some of the details of your visit with your mother and daughter. So many of our guests find true enjoyment in sharing this experience with their parents and children, and I am so happy that you have such a lovely and lasting memory of your time with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon with your friends enjoying one of our spa cottages – another great memory in the making I am sure!
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

In May a friend and I spent two wonderful days at the St. Annes Spa, Grafton, Ontario. A beautiful setting, excellent service and delicious meals made for an exceptional stay. Really enjoyed the wonderful trails and gardens.

Room Tip: The rooms are all beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnneMTraveller
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear AnneMTraveller,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've visited St Anne's many times over the years and this has been my least fave experience. It's a beautiful place full of great customer service, but the patrons are loud and take you out of that zen state.

I was told after the fact that meals could be taken in your room for a slight fee. I wish I had known this as I would've splurged. After getting treatments that relax you it sucks to be disturbed by those around you in the dining hall. I actually got a headache during dinner from all the women talking. I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but when you are paying a lot of money and the trip is your only chance at rest and relaxation (I have a new baby), it's disappointing to be taken out of that calming state.

If I come again it will most likely be with other women as it seems going solo is not a relaxing and wonderful experience like I thought.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Dayray10,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and thank you for your patronage over the years. While our goal is always to provide a relaxing and restorative environment, many of our guests find restoration in different ways: some through quiet reflection and others through lively conversation with family and friends. While we ask our guests to remain respectful of those around them, sometimes we can have some groups that are a little livelier than others. I believe our sales director may have already spoke with you, and with your feedback, I know that she has already implemented a few changes that will help in similar situations as yours.

Thank you again for your feedback and we sincerely look forward to your next visit, whatever the occasion!
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Going to Ste. Anne's is always so special! Two of my friends and I did an over night stay and enjoyed every moment from start to finish!
Ste. Anne's is truly a spa experience that everyone should have in their life time. The grounds are beautiful, overlooking Lake Ontario! All the spa treatments are excellent and worth every penny! Our meals were delicious and served with exceptional service, compliments to the Chef! You must stop at Ste. Anne's Bakery and try their Home Made Granola and Almond Milk Bread!
My sister introduced Ste. Anne's Spa to me years ago and I did the same to my friends and now there is no turning back!
Can't wait for my next Visit!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Mojhito05,

Thank you for your kind words and for your continued support. We owe so much to guests like you that were initially brought here by friends or family, that in turn continue on the tradition by introducing new friends and family members to the Ste. Anne’s Spa experience themselves. We are so glad that you had another exceptional experience here and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We've heard so much about the spa and the four of us finally managed to find a free weekend to indulge. We stayed at the Casa Del Sol, which is the newest cottage, I think. It is a beautiful bungalow with a wrap-around porch. There are 5 sleeping areas. One bedroom with king bed on the main floor and 2 twins in an open area. Another king bed in the basement with a walk-out but it's more like a family room as there is no door. 2 other bedrooms with double beds and no windows. Initially I thought it was wonderful not to have to share a bedroom, but I'm not quite fond of sleeping in the window-less basement either. The spa is wonderful. Impeccable service from everyone, they truly want to help you enjoy the spa. We took an orientation tour and you need it too as it's easy to get lost on the first day. Lunch/tea out on the patio was amazing, the grounds are gorgeous. Meal service tend to be very slow so be sure you don't miss your spa appts. There are signs saying cell phones are not allowed. I'm glad everyone complied. Some were quietly texting or checking messages. A weekend was just too short and unfortunately, the relaxing effect was pretty much gone by time we hit traffic in the GTA. Anyway, it was truly worth the cost. We are already planning our next trip!

Room Tip: 2 of the bedrooms in Casa Del Sol do not have windows
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
We are so glad that you finally managed to find your way down to us! Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your first experience here. Next time, perhaps consider taking the train down from Toronto though. We take care of all the details and you can avoid traffic on the way back! We look forward to your 2nd visit with us!
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had the pleasure of visiting St. Anne’s Spa for the first time this past weekend, after several weeks of excited anticipation. St. Anne’s delivers, in spades. First, the grounds are truly breathtaking, inside and out. The stone facing all over the original farm house and surrounding wall harkens back to the English countryside, as do all of the impeccable touches in the various gardens. The interiors are likewise authentic and beautiful. I hope my photos do them justice. The accommodations are elegant and comfortable. The food is creatively prepared, tasty and just right in terms of portions. The facilities offer lots and lots of activities that are good for the mind, body and soul. My personal favorite is the largest of the 3 pools in the grotto - the wave pool. I pushed off the walls and glided back and forth many times, and it was a pleasure to stand under the drops of water that cascade down from the rocks and give my head a cool friendly shower. But you really cannot go wrong when you explore the onsite facilities and all there is to see and do. Even sitting in a chaise and doing nothing is worthwhile. The outdoor pool was open early this year, which made the weekend even more enjoyable. Perfect weather made that possible.

I experienced the Eucalyptus Body Wrap, the Aroma Stone Massage, a Yoga class and the Evening Turn In, during which I helped feed and walk the horses and feed the cows. All of these experiences brought me peace and renewal, especially spending time with the horses.

But here is where St. Anne’s truly earns its fees (which I will admit are on the high side): in the quality of the staff and customer service. I had the unfortunate experience of waking up in the middle of the night on my last night there, with a bit of a health scare. In my anxious state, I required an immediate visit to a health care practitioner, and the nearest choice given the hour was Emergency at the nearest hospital. Salva, the night manager, offered to drive me to the hospital and kept me calm the whole trip. A few hours later, when I was ready to be released, Evan, one of the Guest Services staff, picked me up from the hospital with plates of assembled food (because I had missed breakfast). When I arrived back at the spa, the front desk staff all inquired as to my well-being and Richard, who had given me the tour a couple of days before, came around and gave me a hug. I will never forget the sincere and caring hospitality I received, which was consistent throughout my stay, but even more pronounced during and following the incident.

As many other reviewers have said, yes, you will pay to visit St. Anne’s Spa, and you may have to save your pennies for a while to afford it. But it really is worth it.

Tip: My only criticism of the spa is the online web booking tool. Do not use it, and instead call and book your reservation over the phone. The rate is cheaper by phone, and you will get a true sense of availability. The online tool almost always indicates that there are no available accommodations - sometimes months in advance.

Room Tip: Taste will guide where you choose to stay. Because it was just me, staying in the main inn was prefe...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DreaRB
SpaGuyJim, Owner at Ste. Anne's Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear DreaRB

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such detailed review of your first visit with us.
We are thrilled that you enjoyed so many elements of your stay, and that you had the opportunity to enjoy some time at the farm as well.

Thank you also for your heartfelt compliments regarding our team here. At Ste. Anne’s, we pride ourselves on hiring caring, sincere and authentic people, and it is always wonderful to hear when our team really shines! I do hope that you are feeling much better now and we look forward to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#1 of 2 in Keene
The Woodlawn Inn
The Woodlawn Inn
#1 of 7 in Cobourg

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!