“My heaven here on earth!”
Review of Ste. Anne's Spa

Ste. Anne's Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
Rochester, New York
“My heaven here on earth!”
Reviewed 14 July 2007

I have been coming to Ste Anne's since the mid 90's and I believe this is my 9th visit. There have been many changes at Ste Anne's since I started coming and all have been for the better. I have been coming with my friend, Michele, every year and in 2005 we even brought our daughers as a high school graduation gift. I have since had to promise another trip for her college graduation in 2 years.
I come every year to recharge and rejuvinate my heart, mind, soul and body and this spa never disappoints-from the excellent treatments, spectacular views, delicious meals and afternoon tea to petting the spa dog "Massey", exercise classes, walks on the property and especially the "spa water". The staff is great from the owners to maids but David will always be my favorite since we met on our 1st visit to the spa all those years ago.

• Liked — the view and the serenity
  • Disliked — they need a spa cat to go along with the spa dog.....other than that absolutely nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank off2thespa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Hudson Quebec
Reviewed 26 June 2007

I booked a spa "give yourself over" day with an old and dear friend who spent a weekend here with her daughter last year. She had to talk me into going as my previous experiences with spas had been mostly disappointing. Ste. Anne's surpassed my expectations. Staff, property, food, treatments, etc. were all terrific. A lovely place to chill out and lose track of time. My day visit truly felt like a week. It is precisely this "time warp" feeling that I was looking for (and not expecting to find). I was especially surprised by the unpretentious atmosphere. Spas are often that way but Ste. Anne's isn't. Everything here feels very mellow.The staff has achieved a perfect balance between professional and laid-back. If you are looking for a place in a gorgeous setting with a peaceful and lovely vibe without irritating and annoying wind chimes, potpourri, "hippie" (boring & tasteless) food and too much "new age"-ness then book this place! My friend and I will try to make this an annual event.

• Liked — location, facility, food, professional but laid-back staff
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank birdchick
Toronto
Reviewed 24 June 2007

I've been to spas in different parts of the world and I would say that I enjoy Ste Annes the most! I feel so fortunate to have Ste Annes in my backyard (I live in Toronto) so that I'm able to stop in when I want. Because Ste Annes is so affordable, I can really take advantage of it when I need to get away from it all. The staff at Ste Annes have done a wonderful job of ensuring that each experience a guest has is perfect - from the treatments, to the cuisine, to the grounds to the atmosphere. I highly recommend that everyone goes to Ste Anne's to experience everything they have to offer. It's definitely the best spa in and around the Toronto area.

• Liked — The attention to detail
  • Disliked — That I had to go home!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank e11e
Ontario
Reviewed 21 June 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed our time at Ste. Anne's. I had never been before, which I can now not even believe that! I had heard what a beautiful place it was. That is understatedl The grounds are lovely and I loved laying by their swimming pool when I was not having a treatment. I enjoyed a massage, outside in a special cabana. The breeze was blowing and I felt like I was on an exotic island. 11 women went as a type of bridal shower. The award winning chef prepared us a special dinner, delivered to our cottage. At one point there was actually 6 people there setting this up for us. After they came and cleaned everything up. Heaven! This was only a small part of one of the best 24 hours I have had in a long time. If you want a retreat, and to be spoiled - this is the place. I noticed lots of couples....next time I come back with my husband!

• Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Moe40
Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2007

After just returning from more than 24 glorious hours at Ste. Annes I had to share our experince. 11 women went for a wedding celebration, ages ranging from 28 to 52. The experience was exceptional. We stayed in our own, off-site cottage about 1/2 km from the main spa. It was clean, sweet and charming. The meals were fabulous, especially our dinner, served in our cottage. We roamed around in our bath robes, which is very common there, and were totally relaxed. The staff was exceptional, the spa services totally refreshing and the beauty of the place beyond imagination...I felt like we were in an English castle. The only complaint was that we had to leave! Highly recommend...well worth the cost. Can not wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2007
4 Thank sjrb
Toronto
Reviewed 7 May 2007

My husband and I went to Ste. Anne's for the first time this past weekend. I do think it's a great getaway and the property is fantastic. I do not, however agree that it's "perfect", nor am I sure I understand it's 4 star designation.

First the positive:
There was a special on this weekend so we paid $375/pp per night and we felt we got great value at that rate.

The first reason for the high value rating was the food. Some may disagree, especially those with a richer palate but both my husband and I thought the food was very high quality. We've eaten in some of the best restaurants in Toronto and paid a premium for such quality food. And at Ste. Anne's it seems like an endless supply of really great food! You never go hungry and the food is all included in the one price. I can honestly say we've never eaten better soups, and that's just one example. I could fill up one review on the food alone!

I also love the all-inclusive aspect, since it removes an element of stress. You don't have to worry whether you're tipping everyone appropriately, etc.

I loved walking around in my robe all day - I'll pack less clothes next time! I've never been to a spa so I wasn't aware that it was quite ok to lounge in a robe.

The staff I found to be very helpful. I was a bit apprehensive going in, wasn't really sure what to expect by anything and I was made to feel quite comfortable. I tried meditation for the first time, which is completely out of character for me and I was made to feel comfortable. I was only disappointed that I couldn't get into more classes so I could try some more firsts in an unintimidating environment - but the classes were full.

I had 4 spa treatments and everyone made me feel comfortable. The spa staff were all lovely. The service desk staff and the waiting staff were all great. The only negative thing I could say at all about the staff is that across the board their mantra seemed to be "we're very busy this weekend". Although that may be the case, in a place where you want people to relax and focus on themselves I'm not sure it's good to constantly remind people they may not get a spot in a class and it's not all about them because there are many other people there. But, in general, the staff were great.

So, here's the but...and it won't prevent me from returning but it is the difference between good and great: I was consistently disappointed in the lack of attention to detail in the actual facilities themselves. This isn't just to find something negative to say, but for me, the consistency of this caused the whole experience not to feel as luxurious as I felt it should have.

It started right from the front door and went on from there:
The slipcovers on the sofa's seemed out of place, the walls in the restaurants were chipped and marked,the wall in the fitness rooms was really scuffed and the place just looked like it was a little unloved to me. On the walking trail, direction signs were still attached to fallen down trees so it was difficult to know where to go at times.

My final spa room was in the "old part" and I felt like I was going through somebody's basement. I understand it's an old building but it could be cleaned up more to feel more like a relaxing journey as you go through those basement halls. The ceilings in the spa rooms were cheap tiles - in some cases stained and generally not very attractive. Given that most of a person's time in a spa room is spent looking at the ceiling that's a distraction. I would have draped fabric over it - anything to make it feel more soothing.

We stayed in the renovated wing and I was really disappointed in the fit and finish. My stone castle illusion was shattered with the quality of this reno. It reminded me of a suburban home with the spindled stairwell, standard doors and brass finishes. Our tub surround seem to be hand built by a shoddy contractor with a brass trim that I scraped my leg on when getting out of the tub.

The reno'd wing also has standard Home Depot hardwood where it would have added so much character to use some kind of wider planked reclaimed wood to match the old part. On the inside there is no flow from old to new, and I think that hurts the overall illusion.

So, all of this may seem petty given the positive's but to me attention to detail is what makes a place exceptional and Ste. Anne's facilities lack that. It seems such a shame since the fundamentals like setting, scenary and service are there to not hit the home run and make the place spectacular.

People obviously love it per their TA ratings, so maybe my hangups don't matter. I do think, though, if they want to move forward on their "master plan" and time sharing plans that they discuss in their materials they will have to bring it up a notch in order to impress investors.

So yes, I will be back, if not for the overall surroundings for the food, setting and service.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Building
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
21 Thank TravellingTO
Claremont
Reviewed 11 April 2007

I have been a guest at Ste.Anne's at least once a year since 1998 and
have always enjoyed my stay. This includes all aspects of the Spa - the food is delicious, the facilities are beautiful, the treatments excellent and I can't say enough about the wonderful staff - highly qualified and very friendly. It says a lot about the management when you see familiar faces making your stay so pleasant year after year.
I always look forward to my visits and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing and pampered time in beautiful surroundings. B.Beer

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank GeminiClaremont
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#1 of 7 in Cobourg
Baltimore Bed & Breakfast
Baltimore Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 2 in Baltimore

Been to Ste. Anne's Spa? Share your experiences!