“Lovely setting” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ingersoll
Mississauga, Canada
“Lovely setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Room was comfortable ;the rate was reasonable ;the grounds are lovely ;bed was comfortable. Shower head interesting - one of those rain heads ; water pressure was not great and seemed to fluctuate. Seems very geared to weddings and all that goes with them. Close to the highway so great place to stop as a halfway point.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I just had my first experience eating at the Elm Hurst. Have always wanted to go. Soooo, I won't be back. Glad someone else was paying for my first time. I feel, for the quality and quantity of the food, it is way over priced. I had the roasted chicken and I don't know how anyone can charge almost 30 for a quarter chicken. Yes it was cooked nicely but really is not worth this I have made just as good at home. So I guess you are really paying for the new renovations and the beauty of where the Elm Hurst is, they do have beautiful grounds. All in all I won't go back. If I am going out in the future for a good dinner will probably pick some place else for those special occasions.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear 519sisters,
The Elm Hurst Inn & Spa is a well-known fine dining restaurant. Our Executive Chef uses only the freshest, locally-sourced ingredients. I believe you must have ordered the Skillet Roast Chicken Fromage filled with zucchini, thyme & cream cheese, with Swiss Roesti, roasted garlic, and a Chardonnay Rommery Mustard Sauce. I am glad you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and Victorian mansion.
New Hamburg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I was given a gift card for my birthday to have a Therapeutic massage and a mani/pedicure.... It was my first experience in a spa of this kind. The sounds and smells!! So relaxing! The staff were kind and helpful not to mention so friendly! I was so impressed by my first visit that I went home that night and called back and booked myself in for a facial the next day! I had the same girl who had worked her magic on my feet and hands the day before... She was so sweet! Walking me through my first facial... I was in heaven! Although I have yet to stay at the Inn or eat in their restaurant, I plan to in the future! The grounds at this Inn are so grand with fountains and beautiful trees and flowers everywhere! Truly, a little part of paradise!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Suzanne L
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I have stayed at the Elmhurst many times over the years and had watched it slowly age. Last year they were in the middle of extensive exterior renovations and were obviously spending money on the facility. I was very pleased to check into my newly renovated room this year with the new furnishings and updated bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the room well laid out but with the still unfortunate case of windows that do not open. Fresh air without the noise of a fan would be great. The restaurant is good and the staff are all friendly and efficient. I hope that they continue to update the few remaining areas that are a bit tired and I look forward to a return visit next year.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Amaranth1
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Amaranth1,
Thanks for the positive feedback on our renovations! We're always striving to improve, and look forward to hosting you again.
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Overall, we had a pleasant one-night stay. They honored our Groupon without hassle or any problems. The front-desk staff were friendly and the check-in process was simple and quick. We did not complain despite several drawbacks. Getting our luggage into the building was difficult and required multiple trips. The Elm Hurst lacked luggage racks and a direct path into the Inn. However , parking was ample, so our haul was relatively short.

The room was nice and clean. It had plenty of towels and pillows. The lighting was subpar. There was only one bedside lamp and no overhead lights in the main area. Opening the blinds was not an option since we viewed the parked cars and anyone could see directly into our room.

There appeared to be more staff than guests. This is usually not a bad thing, except that we could hear the staff talking and singing in the halls. So… our romantic interludes were uncomfortable during the day. The temperature control of the room was great. However, the hallways were FREEZING. During the renovations, the hall door was propped open as people moved furniture out of the building. This let cold air blast through. I had to wear my jacket just to go to the complimentary breakfast.

The food was standard. We ate a late lunch after check-in. We tried the French onion soup, Caesar salad and calamari. My husband was impressed with the cocktail selection and there were many wines with serving size options. The whipped cream cheese intrigued us during bread service. We asked our waiter if it contained chives. He checked with kitchen, only to report, “It’s low fat and has herbs”. I guess we’ll never know! Clearly it is prepackaged and one cannot find the time to read ingredients. A chef should know what herbs they use. For the meal, portion sizes allowed sharing. The soup was standard, nothing spectacular. The Caesar was dull and could benefit from seasoning and more substantial parmesan cheese, such as flakes or larger (non-powder) shreds. The calamari was under-seasoned and contained more breading than calamari. The two dipping sauces tasted straight out of the bottles but added some flavor.

Our stay was okay but failed to live up to the reviews and recommendations. The hotel was clean, the bed was comfortable and the food edible.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KJKitz
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear KJKitz,
Thank you for your comments. It sounds like you did enjoy your overall experience at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa. We always have a manager at the front desk who can look after any specific issues that may arise. Since your visit in April, our renovations have been completed and we invite you to stay with us again when you are in the area.
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

This was our second stay at the Elm Hurst inn and it seems to get better each time we go. Both times have been for a wedding and we could not have been more pleased with our stay.

PARKING: non issue at this hotel, there was plenty of it despite two weddings on the go and is within easy walking distance of the lobby.

CHECK IN: Went very smooth and the front desk staff very friendly and courteous, we arrived prior to the 3:00pm check in time but were quickly greeted and advised our room was ready and that we could check in immediately. A nice touch after travelling!!

ROOMS/PROPERTY: We were given a spacious king room on the 3rd floor with a nice view overlooking the rear grounds of the property. The rooms have been upgraded since our last stay but again found to be very clean, comfortable and well appointed offering plenty of room to relax. This property is well maintained and offers those seeking a little R&R a quiet and peaceful place to get away.

FOOD: As mentioned above both times we have stayed at the Elm Hurst have been for weddings. As we did not reside in the area we have not had the opportunity yet to come strictly for dinner however feel a quick comment must be given regarding the food service at the wedding. Both times the meals we received were excellent and the Elm Hurst staff did a great job in the preparation, presentation and service.

All in all a great experience and because of this we are now planning on returning to the Elm Hurst for a weekend retreat in the fall. Nicely done!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MJR68
Woodstock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

I would just like to say "Thank You"!! Laura and the staff at the Elm Hurst made our intimate affair a wonderfully special day.

From the relaxing spa treatments my daughter and I enjoyed the night before, to the elegant dinner we shared before the big day every detail was taken care of.

We awoke to a glorious day, bunnies and butterflies frolicking outside our bedroom window, perfect start to a perfect day.

The marble gazebo was set up out front with the fountain gurgling in the background, the setting was lovely. The floral sprays of all white flowers with greenery worked perfect with pedestals provided. Absolutely dreamy.

The private dining room was decorated beautifully, black and white and Tiffany blue with accents of yellow and green and a window seat for the sun to spill in and light up the room as we enjoyed a glorious four course dinner. The meal and the service was excellent, champagne to toast, lovely wines, red velvet cupcakes, and butter tarts with ice cream were all a huge hit.

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day, surrounded with loved ones in such a beautiful environment. I look forward to future stays and special dinnners at the Elm Hurst, what a lo let venue so close to home.

Best regards,

Mrs. Melissa Lance

Room Tip: Lord Connaught room was perfect with its private balcony, wonderful soaker tub and gorgeous view.