“Worst. "Sushi". Ever.”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Went there with my wife and a friend, who surprised us with a 25% off coupon! We are local, and were eager to compare Koi's new "all you can eat" to the experience we had a Sake's in town.

The regular menu looked nice, but the "all you can eat" menu could have doubled as a parking ticket it was so small. The lack of options were about as pleasing as a parking ticket, too. They only needed one side of the small laminated flyer to list them, there were some appetizers, "small rolls", and "specialty rolls". No sushi, no sashimi, no teriyaki, no noodles, no age dashi tofu, no sunamono salad... There was an almost comical lack of choice -- you can eat all you can, but it's mostly rice. And cream cheese -- seriously, nearly EVERY "special roll" involved some combination of smoked salmon and cream cheese. Maybe a name change to reflect this emphasis? Koi smoked salmon and cream cheese cuisine?? Both Japanese and Sushi are words that do not accurately reflect the offerings here!

We ordered a bit from each category. The miso was OK, and included large round cheerio-esque floaties that the waitress could not identify, but tasted alright. The dumplings looked like they were fresh from M&M's. The panko scallops were obviously not panko, and were the scallop equivalent of frozen no-name chicken nuggets. The other rolls were packed with rice on the inside and outside, but for the most part were edible. Very few of the rolls offered had raw fish, and those that did included other padding (including more rice) to bring the cost down. One roll of note: the Chicken Teriyaki roll was inedible. Just plain nauseating. Packed with rice and only the bare minimum of required chicken, it was smothered in a sauce that I don't think I can fully describe. They called it Teriyaki, but it tasted like concentrated hoisin boiled down and then burned badly. We did not eat this roll, and it remained a conversation piece throughout the meal.

Now for the best part. Keep in mind, we have been polite guests to this point, keeping our shock and disappointment to ourselves. We go to pay the bill (they do not accept debit, by the way) and present the coupon for 25% off "all food" . We we told that that did not include the "all you can eat" menu. We reviewed the coupon with the server, (there is no fine print anywhere on the coupon), and were told that the "all you can eat" is a "good deal", so the coupon was no good. This was the cherry on top of the giant slice of rice-filled store-bought deep-fried disappointment cake that was our dining experience.

Frankly, this menu is not a good deal, and if it were offered to me for free, I would decline. You could not pay me to return to this place again! Thankfully, there is an ACTUAL sushi restaurant in town. This "Japanese Sushi" restaurant is for people that don't like, and don't want Japanese cuisine.

I am actually quite worried I will be sick. The owner of this establishment should be ashamed.

5  Thank EasyBee123

Reviewed 5 May 2013

The sushi is delicious. The sauce divine. The staff are friendly and the food came quickly. I eat here regularly and it is always good.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

My wife, daughter and I visited Koi in Kingsville tonight.
We were seated promptly and had our drink orders taken promptly by the woman who seated us. We then waited approx. 15 minutes for our server to show up. When we went to place our order she told us that we have to write it down on the pieces of paper provided on the table. We weren't told that before, but if that's how they do it fair enough, so I wrote down our order. She walked by our table NUMEROUS times afterwards and never stopped by our table to take the order I had written down. We waited 15 minutes... no server. At this point my wife and daughter left the restaurant as I waited to pay for the drink order, we were leaving.
After a couple of minutes of our server still not coming by our table I told the woman who had seated us, as she was delivering some food to the table next to me, that I would like to pay for the drink order and that we were leaving. After a minute our server finally came to the table and asked "I'm sorry, is there something wrong?". I explained that we had been waiting for over 15 minutes for her to pick up our order after she had told me I had to write it down. Her reply was "I didn't see it on the table". Apparently it never occurred to her to come by the table and ASK if our order was ready instead of relying on physically seeing the small piece of paper(which I had in my hand). I told her that waiting 30+ minutes in a restaurant to not even have our sever take our order is too long and that we were leaving. I asked for my bill, gave her the cash while she was at the table and left.

We walked down the road one block and went into a restaurant called Vernon's.
Walked in, sat down, order taken and food on the table in under 20 minutes.
Thank you Vernon's!

3  Thank Mindy P
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Have been here several times . Most recent noticed they have changed to tea bags instead of loose leaves.
Food is still ood and tasty.
Moving to their new digs next door. A bit more room.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Great food ! The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The staff is wonderful. Food is very very fresh and served to perfection. You would never know that a little town could have such a great place!