Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Super 8 Kirkland Lake(Kirkland Lake)
Cheminis Lodge(Virginiatown)
  • Bar/Lounge
Englehart Motel(Englehart)
  • Restaurant
Econo Lodge(Temiskaming Shores)
Quality Inn(New Liskeard)
Waterfront Inn(Temiskaming Shores)
View Hotel
All reviewsfront deskyogurthot breakfastplace to staybasic hotelfree breakfastglennkl
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The one and only time Expedia bookings have let me down. Despite confirming the reservation to Expedia in April which was confirmed by Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, they took it upon themselves to cancel the reservation. The front desk clerk was uncooperative, made no effort to assist a group of travellers that were 9 hours away from home to discover the reservation that was confirmed and booked with a valid credit card mysterious with no record of when or who made the cancellation. The reason given was credit card decline, which was not at all the issue. The reservation was made with a valid credit card and other purchases on the credit card have never had an issue. The hotel was booked, only one other in town with a big event for the community. Will never stay at another Comfort Inn anywhere. They simply cancelled it with no contact to either myself or Expedia. Expedia did what they could to resolve, but the front desk clerk, Glenn was unhelpful, claiming there was nothing they could do and management was not interested in being contacted outside the hours of 8am and 3pm. Too bad, sorry about your luck. I will never, ever stay at another Comfort Inn anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bev L
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Bev,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. As you mentioned there was a major event in town. As a result the hotel required valid credit card to guarantee rooms for late arrival and 24 hours notice to cancel the room. On the day of the event credit cards are preauthorized for one nights room and taxes to ensure that the room will be covered in the event a guest does not show up. If there is a problem with the card the guest is immediately notified and given the opportunity to provide an alternate credit card.

Unfortunately on the credit card that was provided in your reservation was declined despite several attempts through out the day. We checked the guest information provided by Expedia and did not have a phone number or address. It is my understanding that the guest provides this information at the time of booking but it is not forwarded to the hotel.

I do aplogize for the inconvenience but unfortunately with out a valid credit cards reservations cannot be held as the hotel has no guarantee that the guest will arrive and pay for the room. Consequently the reservation was cancelled by the hotel and sold to another guest. The Guest Services Representative was unable to find alternative acommodations due to high demand in the area.

In the future may I suggest you contact hotels booked through third parties and provide contact information so that the hotel is able to get in touch with you should a problem arise.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Great for a quick stopover or business trip. Rooms were clean and comfortable, and appear to have been modernized a bit since the last round of reviews. Breakfast was standard continental with the pleasant addition of a waffle machine.

Corporate rate was higher than I would have expected for a small town inn, but understandable given the limited options. Service was smooth, friendly, and charming. I would stay here again if I had overnight business in Kirkland Lake, but would probably stay in one of the larger centres nearby if it was a multi-day trip.

Room Tip: There's very clearly a smoking and non-smoking end to the hotel. Depending on your preference, it's worthwhile trying to secure a room as far to either end as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience after staying at our hotel! We are always happy to receive feedback regarding our hotel. I very much appreciate your kind words and will be sure to share them with my entire team.

I am excited to tell you that the addition of the waffle maker was the first of many exciting changes coming this year! Our hotel will undergo a major transformation beginning in August. All of our guest rooms and bathrooms will be fully renovated. Our coridoors will be redecorated and our parking lot will recieve much needed repairs.

From the time you walk into our brand new lobby until you check out you will see major improvement everywhere. We will also be adding a breakfast room and a new breakfast with hot eggs and breakfast meats, yourgurt and much more! We hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us one the hotel has its brand new look!

Again, thank you so much for your review!

Reviewed 1 May 2013

This is the best hotel in kirkland lake which doesn't say very much. if you like rates that are to high even for a holiday inn express this is your place. They do not follow corprate rates. The beds are old and not comfortable. the TVs are not even a flat screen. it has a a good location right at the beginig of town but other then that it has o other appeal... However this is the best hotel in town!!!

Room Tip: there is no good room here. probably best to be on the top floor as most of the contractors use the bottom floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Hello Robert!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our hotel. I am a little confused by some of your comments. The review states you stayed in February of this year. I can assure you we have had flat screen LCD TVs in all of our rooms since laslast year. All of our double groundfloor rooms and the majority of our groundfloor queen rooms received brand new beds late in the fall. We also offer executive rooms on the main floor that are newly renovated with lots of extra amenities.

We certainly do offer corporate rates as well as many other rate plans for guests who qualify. Please be sure to ask the next time you stay. Please contact me directly and I will ensure you get one of our best rooms!

Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here and it was decent for the location. I probably wouldn't recommend it for your honeymoon but its fine for business travel. Staff was extremely friendly, breakfast was mediocre at best. Room was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: April 2013
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Good Morning!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I appreciate your compliments regarding our staff as well as the cleanliness and maintenance of our rooms. I will be sure to share them with my team.

We will be transitioning to a new and improved hot breakfast in the coming months. Our first step is the addition of fresh Belgian waffles within the next week. We are excited about the changes and am sure our guests will love them!

Again, thank you for your feedback! We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

My wife and I were on a 2 week snowmobile trip in northern ontario and northern quebec in feb. We were passing through Kirkland Lake and we have stayed in many choice hotel properties. We payed for an "upgraded room" on the 1st floor. When we got to our room we found stains on the bedspread and on the sofa. We could see nothing upgraded about our room, it was the old style everything at Comfort Inn. We asked for another room and the desk clerk told us that she didn't know of any differences in the room but we could try another one. It was better with newer furniture ect. and no stains. The clerk also made a reference to the other option in town that I will not repeat. I assume that the price and lack of concern for maintaining the rooms is because they don't have local competition. I wouldn't blindly assume that all choice hotel properties are held to the same standard. We stayed at 13 different hotels on our trip and this one was the standout. We stayed to the south in Haileybury at Leisure Inn, to the west at Microtel in Timmins, to the north at Best western in Cochrane ,to the east at The Gouverner in Rouyan-noranda Quebec. These hotels surround this Comfort Inn location and were all better maintained properties and were all more reasonably priced

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J W
Selena G, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kirkland Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your stay at our hotel. We appreciate honest feedback, both good and bad. Comments such as yours provide valuable insight and opportunities to improve.

Our rates do vary by demand and the type of room reserved. Executive ground floor rooms are between $4.00 and $10.00 more than upper rooms, depending on the day of the week. All of these rooms feature new beds, patio door access, newer furniture, wall paper, carpets, desks with desk chair, office supplies, fridge and microwaves as well as robes in the room. There are two styles of furniture in the upgraded rooms, both of which are significantly newer than in the standard rooms. We are also replacing all of the sofa beds in mid-April.

It is unacceptable that the first room you were rented was not properly cleaned and please be assured this is not our normal standard. The GSR clearly failed to explain the difference between the room types and although she is a new employee, this demonstrates to me that we failed to train her properly in this area and I sincerely apologize. I will definitely discuss this with both the GSR and the housekeeping department to make sure that this does not recurr.

I sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again next season so that we can provide you with a better experience. Please contact me directly and I will personally make sure that you get one of our best rooms.

Again, I sincerely thank you for sharing your experience and I promise you that these concerns will be dealt with.