“A wonderful old-fashion B & B”

Homestead House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Hope B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is a perfect place to stay, away from the bustle of Hamilton, and close to many attractions. This was our first stay and we will return. Bernie and Verena our wonderful hosts - we felt like we were visiting old friends. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LeslieAnnOntario

Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was my second stay at the Homestead, Bernie and Verena are great hosts, warm, caring and with great sence of humour, nothing was a problem.
The location (nice and peaceful), accommodation, food and their frienship making me fill at "HOME" and part of their family.

Room Tip: All rooms I have had are OK.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Norman G
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This would be first stay at a B & B. I had been told at B & Bs, a guest has to share a bathroom. Not so that at Homestead. Each room/suite hasa bathroom, small, but enough space.

While making my reservation with Berine, he told me each suite is bathroom equiped. My room had two single bed, VERY comfortable, small tv on a three drawer chest. Outside is a refrigerator for all upstairs guests. No closet, however on the wall is mounted a metal rack, with three wooden hangers. On the door are two hooks for hangers. Table with clock between the beds. An air conditioner unit that works quite well.

Verena is a marvellous cook. Each morning is a large bowl of fresh cut up fruit for breakfast. She will prepare a quest's breakfastany way they prefer. Two mornings Verena prepared a full breakfast, which included eggs, bacon hash browns. The other two morning all I needed was cereal and fruit.

Berine will pick up and drop off a guest at the Hamilton air port, which is just a few minutes away. My reason for picking Homestead was the short distance to the air port, where the 2012 Hamilton air show, being held at the Canadian Warplasne Heritage Museum.

I found my entire room and bathroom very clean. Verena will steam clean the mattress after a guest leaves. NO worry about bedbugs.

Finding Homestead is not difficult to locate if a visitor knows what to look for. If a person is driving south on Homestead Drive, first look for the 447 Wing restaurant on the right, a short distance on the the left is the M&m automotive & Towing. At this time start slowing down, as the the B&B is just over 100 yards on the right. Look for a wooden white arch on the right. Homesread is the next driveway. Verena & Berine's house is red brick. If you see the Mount Hope fire station, you have driven pass the House by two houses. There is a Homestead House sign, but is blocked by the neighbors's bushes, SEE TIPS.

I found Verena and Berine to be very warm, enjoyable and entertaining. They will go out of their way to make a guest feel at home.

They wanted me to return for next year's air show. I said possibly in five yeras. If I do return, I know where my home away from home is located. During my stay, all guest were international, Canada, England and the U.S.A.

Reservations should be made well in advance as possible. The neighboehood is very quiet, as Homestead is almost out in the country.The only sounds I heard were lawm mowers.

I would not hesitate to stay again. I found nothing negative about Homestead House. Verena and Berine made my four day stay very enjoyable.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

Room Tip: If using GPS, don't use Mount Hope as a city, use HAMILTON. With Mount Hope, the GPS unit will o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jack L
Reviewed 2 May 2012

What an amazing and peaceful place to stay if you are in Hamilton on business or pleasure. Two co-workers and myself have been staying here all week on business and I can't tell you how much coming home each night to this peaceful house has meant to us. Bernie & Verena are awesome hosts, so warm and engaging. The beds are comfortable, the rooms cozy, and they have internet (great speeds), a refrigerator in the hallway with water and for guest use, super hot water TV/cable in each room. Breakfast is excellent and, as I have had to come in earlier than my co-workers, Verena has made sure a nice breakfast in a bag was sent with me each day. I will definately stay here every time I am in Hamilton on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mel F
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed over at Homestead House last Saturday night after our midnight flight to Hamilton from Cancun. It was SO convenient - we live 3 hours from Hamilton and I was worried about the weather, and about driving after a long flight, so I emailed Homestead House through BBCanada.com a couple of days before we left. Bernie was so accommodating - we dropped our friends and luggage off at the airport, drove 5 minutes to Homestead House, and Bernie then drove us back to the airport so we could leave our car there for two weeks and save on parking. (They charge a low rate.) When we arrived back in Hamilton, we just phoned Bernie from the terminal and he was waiting outside for us when we came out with our luggage! Beds were very clean and comfortable with small ensuite bathrooms. The next morning, Verena prepared a marvellous breakfast - bacon, sausage, eggs your way, a variety of pastries and breads, fruit salad, yogurt, fresh oj, coffee and tea. Hosts Verena and Bernie are friendly and personable. We will definitely return next winter!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissAntarctica
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed at Homestead House at the beginning and end of our trip to Ontario, as our flights were in and out of Hamilton airport. We initially booked our last night at a motel because our flight out was early and we didn't want to inconvenience our hosts, but after our first night, they convinced us that an early departure was not a problem. Bernie and Verena picked us up from the airport, drove us to pick up and drop off our rental car, and drove us to the airport for our flight home. They assured us that this was all a part of their service, but it really was above and beyone what we expected. The first night, we were the only guests, and our hosts very graciously invited us to join them for drinks on their back deck. By the time we left, we felt as though we had made new friends - they are extremely warm and wonderful people. Our rooms were clean and comfortable, breakfast was excellent, and the hospitality second to none. Do yourselves a favour and stay with this lovely couple. Thanks for everything! Pat and Lorraine.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 86Shelbygirl
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I had been in the Hamilton/Burlington area for around 5 weeks staying in a hotel. Then a colleague of mine informed me of the Homestead House, so I decided to give it a try. Once I got there, I settled in and felt as though I was back at home in Minnesota. Bernie and Verena did everything they could to insure that I was comfortable and of course well fed. Due to other business commitments I was only able to stay for 2 nights. Those 2 nights were more enjoyable than the other 5 weeks that I was in the area. I would reccommend to any and all travelers to stay at the Homestead House, over and above staying at any hotel. If I have return business in the area, I will definitely stay at the Homestead House if available.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jefre F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Hope
Downtown Hamilton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hamilton Ontario

Been to Homestead House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!