“Small Town Gem!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Mount Hope B&B and Inns
Waterloo, Indiana
“Small Town Gem!”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is what a B&B is all about, clean comfortable rooms, a great breakfast and the most gracious hosts you would want to have. We had a good time in the Hamilton area and their is much to see and do. You have many waterfalls, Dundurn Castle, Royal Botanical Gardens and many other nice attractions in the area and it's good to know you have a great place to come back to and relax. We spent several nights in wonderful conversation with Bernie and Verena who are very genuine and caring people. Being from the USA it was nice to know that Bernie was so knowledgeable about it and Verena had beautiful flowers all about and her breakfast is second to none. The small town of Mount Hope is quiet, a short distance to the airport and they have a new ice cream shop, what more could you ask for? A five star B&B run by five star people!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank terrsall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Libertyville IL
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We spent two nights at Homestead House and would love to go back! Everything you read about Bernie and Verena is true and then some. They are warm, gracious and friendly, and truly make you feel like guests and friends rather than customers. Bernie gave us great advice on places to eat and things to do, as well as providing us with maps and brochures. Verena makes an amazing breakfast. You come down to a delightful spread of fresh bread, homemade preserves, cheeses and fruit, and that is just for starters! She knew we were vegetarians, and one morning made the most amazing pancakes with sauteed fruit.

The room was clean, coxy and comfortable, with private bath. The house is VERY quiet, yet conveniently located for exploring Hamilton (which is a very nice city, with historic sites, waterfalls etc.) It is also a great value. Share a couple days with Bernie and Verena, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: We were in #3, which I think was the furthest from the street, but nowherre would noise be a problem...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeterLibertyvilleIL
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Homestead House over the weekend and we had one of the best times of our trips all over the world. Our hosts Verena and Bernie were incredibly friendly, accomodating with their hospitality during our stay. Our room was very cosy, clean and comfortable. Our breakfast was prepared from local, fresh fruits and cheeses and we were woken up with the inviting aroma of fresh coffee and incredible freshly baked croissants.
The Homestead House is located close to Bruce Trail, Hamilton Airport, Aviation Museum, many Incredible Waterfalls nearby at towns of Ancaster and Dundas close to the Niagara Escarpment with beautiful nature trails.
Also nearby are Niagara Falls, beautiful quaint Historical Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Famous Art gallery at the Six Nations Reserve, Famous Ontario Wineries and their Great Wine Tasting, Niagara Butterfly Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Shaw Festival and many many other wonders of Beautiful Ontario.
Visit to the Homestead House will let you enjoy a World-of-a-Time exploring all these Wonders and experience the friendly wonderful Hospitality of your Hosts at your stay in this great Bed and Breakfast! Highly recommend to all who wish to visit. We will be back again soon.

Room Tip: Just let the Hosts recommend and furnish you a room for your needs. All rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wanderingcanuks
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed at the Homestead Guest House for eight days over the end of July and the beginning of August this year. Bernie and Verena are perfect hosts. By the end of my stay I felt more like a member of their family than a paying guest. They shared their local knowledge with me and advised me on points of interest that, as an overseas visitor, I may not otherwise have seen. My room was comfortable and the breakfast set me up for the day. Their Guest House is on a good bus route into Hamilton which serves as a hub for Toronto and Niagara Falls. I would definitely stay with them again and would recommend them without reservation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Stan720
Ontario
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is a perfect place to stay, away from the bustle of Hamilton, and close to many attractions. This was our first stay and we will return. Bernie and Verena our wonderful hosts - we felt like we were visiting old friends. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LeslieAnnOntario
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was my second stay at the Homestead, Bernie and Verena are great hosts, warm, caring and with great sence of humour, nothing was a problem.
The location (nice and peaceful), accommodation, food and their frienship making me fill at "HOME" and part of their family.

Room Tip: All rooms I have had are OK.
Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Norman G
East Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This would be first stay at a B & B. I had been told at B & Bs, a guest has to share a bathroom. Not so that at Homestead. Each room/suite hasa bathroom, small, but enough space.

While making my reservation with Berine, he told me each suite is bathroom equiped. My room had two single bed, VERY comfortable, small tv on a three drawer chest. Outside is a refrigerator for all upstairs guests. No closet, however on the wall is mounted a metal rack, with three wooden hangers. On the door are two hooks for hangers. Table with clock between the beds. An air conditioner unit that works quite well.

Verena is a marvellous cook. Each morning is a large bowl of fresh cut up fruit for breakfast. She will prepare a quest's breakfastany way they prefer. Two mornings Verena prepared a full breakfast, which included eggs, bacon hash browns. The other two morning all I needed was cereal and fruit.

Berine will pick up and drop off a guest at the Hamilton air port, which is just a few minutes away. My reason for picking Homestead was the short distance to the air port, where the 2012 Hamilton air show, being held at the Canadian Warplasne Heritage Museum.

I found my entire room and bathroom very clean. Verena will steam clean the mattress after a guest leaves. NO worry about bedbugs.

Finding Homestead is not difficult to locate if a visitor knows what to look for. If a person is driving south on Homestead Drive, first look for the 447 Wing restaurant on the right, a short distance on the the left is the M&m automotive & Towing. At this time start slowing down, as the the B&B is just over 100 yards on the right. Look for a wooden white arch on the right. Homesread is the next driveway. Verena & Berine's house is red brick. If you see the Mount Hope fire station, you have driven pass the House by two houses. There is a Homestead House sign, but is blocked by the neighbors's bushes, SEE TIPS.

I found Verena and Berine to be very warm, enjoyable and entertaining. They will go out of their way to make a guest feel at home.

They wanted me to return for next year's air show. I said possibly in five yeras. If I do return, I know where my home away from home is located. During my stay, all guest were international, Canada, England and the U.S.A.

Reservations should be made well in advance as possible. The neighboehood is very quiet, as Homestead is almost out in the country.The only sounds I heard were lawm mowers.

I would not hesitate to stay again. I found nothing negative about Homestead House. Verena and Berine made my four day stay very enjoyable.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

Room Tip: If using GPS, don't use Mount Hope as a city, use HAMILTON. With Mount Hope, the GPS unit will o...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Downtown Hamilton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hamilton Ontario
Admiral Inn Hamilton
#8 of 20 in Hamilton

Been to Homestead House? Share your experiences!