“First time to area - GREAT experience!”

Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
Toronto
“First time to area - GREAT experience!”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

After spending days researching different properties, resorts, and cottage rentals we decided on a two night stay at the Rocky Crest Golf resort. Beautiful lake, staff was amazing, secluded enough when privacy was desired yet several on site restaurants also offered a well balanced social experience too.

Definitely will be returning - GM's name is Jerry, also a great guy to deal with

Room Tip: Has tennis courts, golf course, and free canoe rentals although we did not try them out
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Adam M,

I truly appreciate the personal mention in your review of our resort, greatly appreciated!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed 22 June 2012

def not worth 500 a night. not even close.. older and def needs some TLC. beautiful land , amazing golf course, we took a spin around on a cart, but didnt play. Resturants are hightly over priced, very roadhouse meals, 28$ for a chicken breast... really!!!.. we drove into parry sound the one night for dinner,
Room.... well other than finding hair in the tub.. and not from the head, i kept my shoes on the whole time and was afraid to use the furniture, it def needs some modernizing, from the bird cage lamps to the country style knick knacks.. carpet was old and stained.. the room sizes were amazing, the bed. omg it was so comfy. Its a great place if you are looking for a quiet getaway and can get it for under 100$, if you cant i really wouldnt bother.. They have a beautiful canvas there, but the peeling paint and old furniture makes the place look tired.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
lulife7890,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not to perfection. I will ensure your comments are discussed with our leadership team. I was surprised to see the comment on peeling paint as we have just painted all 65 of our suites this past winter and replaced some of the furnishings although we will continue to make improvements in the future.

We appreciate your comments.
Warkworth, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I recently ventured to the former Delta Rocky Crest Resort for 2 nights. I spent a lot of time in that area as a youngster. The Delawana Inn in the 60's and 70's were a staple in our family. I had heard much about Rocky Crest over the past few years. I was excited. When we arrived Sunday for an early check-in day, we found out that our $500/night 2 bedroom suite had no AC throughout, only a unit in the master suite. Neither bedroom had an ensuite bath...just one small bathroom seemed to suffice for the four of us though. No big deal for 2 nights. We didn't have a tee time at Rocky Crest that day, only a tee time at Lake St Joseph the next day.We were not allowed to use the practice range or putting greens because ONLY Rocky Crest guests can use those.....an hour before their tee time...even though we had a tee time for Tues morning. It seemed odd that guest of the RC Resort didn't have use of the facilities. A Clublink thing I guess, The food and food service were not one would expect for the prices. They were understaffed and our waitress was pleasant and did the best she could...nice job. I TOTALLY understood after being in the biz for 10 years at one point. Many of the employees 'reminded us' that they might be lacking as it wasn't " the summer season" yet. Not professional. In all fairness, it WAS June 11....not officially I guess. No excuse. We were also informed that their premiere restaurant, 'Windows', wasn't open yet,... nor was their menu available at their other eateries. The menu at their lounge was pretty good but the food was average roadhouse fair. Decent wine list. The 2 bedroom suite didn't have a TV in the second bedroom, nor AC...but the staff brought in a fan to circulate the air throughout...it worked. The TV reception was brutal on cable. After our guests left after one night, we switched to a one bedroom with a king. We had problems getting our stuff to our 'new room' the next morning. We were to tee off at Lake St Joseph around 9am so we wouldn't be at the hotel to change rooms until 1-2pm. When we called to have someone come and pick up our luggage in the morning to take it reception where it was to be stored until we got back to "re-check-in",...we were told NO ONE was available. My GF and I hauled all our luggage and supplies up a hill across stairs and paths to reception....who still didn't have it transferred when we got back at 1:30pm. They claimed it was because our 'new room' wasn't ready until then. It was then transferred. Nice room. VERY comfy king. ....beautiful view. Close to all the water playtoys, swimming pool and hot tub.....which became a target for a large group of young people around 12:30 AM that night. The loudness was squelched within 30 mins by what I assume to be security. All in all, I found the resort to be "rustic elegance" at best. I'm not sure whether Delta bailed because they couldn't find the right chemistry with the right local employees or hired help, or whether or not the NEW Rocky Crest is still dealing with the 'collateral damage' of Delta and its mismanagement. Who knows? It could go either way. This is a BEAUTIFUL property and deserves much more TLC and employees with experience and pride to make it a 5 star place......not impossible at all. .....however, to get those PROFESSIONAL employees...you have to PAY them a good wage. Perhaps that is not the case....I don't know. I know what the biz is like though. It's an educated guess. I expected more, but I HAD read reviews before I arrived and most were not favourable. Understandable. Give this place a chance if you have kids, it was fun. I'm easy going, not a snob.....these are just observations and should not detract anyone from giving this "NEW" place a try.......but negotiate or 'look' for a deal....it isn't worth the money....yet. Good luck NEW Rocky Crest. Take pride in your property.

Room Tip: Grab something on the water...and don't be afraid to negotiate a price for your stay.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JoeyMartin
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I went with my sister and daughter on a Living Social voucher. The price for one night was excellent and included breakfast for two.
I have to say I was concerned about the checkin process. I understand that the resort has just reopened for the season and there were lots of new young staff, but they need to be told not to ask at the desk about how they get their tips, when guests are standing right there. I sensed one more seasoned staff was cringing!
It was rather chaotic with phones going and the poor girl having to each time say her long introductory spiel to whoever was on the phone..talk about a time waster! When you have just driven close to 3 hours, you just want to get into your room to relax. They did let us in before official checkin time which was appreciated.
The room/apartment was quite spacious and we were very happy with the room amenities, including kitchenette and sunroom. very nice. BUT I have to agree with the comments about the decor. Mostly ok, but why are there country bumpkin nic nacs scattered about. The bedroom had a lovely kingsize bed which was very comfortable, in a contemporary style, but then there was this big clunky oak mirror on the wall, totally out of place. This isnt hard to fix.Get rid of the country kitch by the fireplace and on the walls!
Unfortunately we were there when it was chilly and so the use of the boats and swimming in the lake were out of the question. I did soak in the hottub. Kudos to the spa for squeezing my daughter and me in at the end of the day for a 25 minute massage. The girls stayed extra time for us.
We had our bath checked as there was a rust or something coming out of the jets?( not sure where it came from ) and stained the washcloth.The maintanence person came and seemed to fix it.
The restaurant experience for dinner didnt happen at all.We were shown to a couple of places , one of which had a private group using the whole place . After kind of a wild goose chase, we decided to drive into Parry Sound for Swiss chalet!
The breakfast was in the golf club house and I have to say it was the best oatmeal I have ever enjoyed!
I would maybe try to resort again, in warmer weather . There wasnt a lot to do for such a short time.
As well, I was really disappointed there was no gym, which is a given nowadays at resorts I think.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank spidergal
Ajax, Ontario
Reviewed 24 May 2012

After reading some of the reviews on Rocky Crest we were not sure what to expect. We are 100% satisfied with our 2 night stay. We found the staff to be friendly, helpful & accommodating . Our suite was really nice, very comfortable king size bed & it was spotless. This resort is beautiful & we will be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Jerry F, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear ScorpioLeo:

We were very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to your return.

Rocky Crest Resort
Reviewed 14 May 2012

So on Thursday, me and a friend of mine decided to plan a last minute trip for some rest and relaxation, so we decided to go to Rocky Crest...and was it worth every penny!!

The staff were beyond AWESOME, our room was a one bedroom suite, with working fire place, separate living room and bedroom, mini kitchenette and patio with patio furniture that over looked the lake. We went canoeing, hiking and ate all of our meals on site. I highly recommend the restaurant at the golf course...food was so fresh and tasty, we are still taking about it!!

It rained for a bit on Saturday, but not to worry we were able to go to the Spa and then get some moves and board games from the front desk...they think of everything.

If you are looking for a weekend getaway to recharge your batteries then go to Rocky Crest...you deserve it!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Somebody, please fix this Property. The Resort has so much potential and it sits on a beautiful piece of land. It has been such a shame to watch it go down the toilet.
There are no illusions that Delta has let this stunning peice of property slowly crumble into the abyss.

Staff are friendly and definately try hard to attend to your needs, but sadley everyone who works there knows what complaints to expect during a days work. Out-of-date- rooms, bad food, and facilities in disrepair... They have been given little support by Delta and the Management.

The simple fact that Rocky Crest has kept its standards to being a world-class golf course, has been the only saving grace to the Resort.

I hope that $$$ and energy gets injected back into the place. So that the employees can have a sense of pride to work there... and I pray that its not a reflection of whats going to happen to an over-saturated Muskoka market in bad economic times.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank MissionMan152
MissionMan152:

Over this past winter, I am happy to tell you that a significant investment has gone into improvements at our property. We listened closely to what our guests were telling us and acted upon it. We have painted ALL of our rooms, replaced the carpet in the rooms in need, replaced furnishings that had reached the end of their lifecycle, renovated our public washrooms in our Dining Room and many other investments around the property.

I am also very happy to announce that we hired a new Executive Chef - Ken Schulz and our feebback through our first month of operation this year has been fantastic on our upgrades and our food!

This is a very exciting year for us and we look forward to you visiting us again in 2012.

Rocky Crest Resort