“DenyseN”

Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Ranked #28 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at Rocky Crest for 3 days. Accommodations were good and what we had anticipated. Service and staff were very good. Pleasant experiences in the dining room and food was good, although a little pricey. Front desk staff was excellent. Grounds are very nice and Lake Joseph very scenic. Enjoyed the boat cruise around the lake. Lots of water activities. Only disappointment was lack of fitness facilities for hotel guests (time share owners only could use fitness area). Would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DNewt_12
Jerry F, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I was happy to see that you enjoyed our facility and service. We have debated the fitness room several times and will continue to collect the feedback from our guests to guide our operational decisions as we move forward. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

This resort has beautiful grounds and a great waterfront, but the rooms are in desperate need of an update. The 90s decor is more "cottagy" than it is like a resort. The rooms are overpriced for the quality. The carpet was worn and dirty looking and the bathrooms are cheaply finished. Food at the resort was overpriced for kids and adults ($6.99 for a small bowl of Kraft dinner on the kids menu!) and not very good. We went to the golf course for a dinner and a lunch and the food there was great!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew W

We appreciate your feedback and for posting a review of your recent stay with us. This year we painted all of our units and replaced the carpet in 30% as well as replaced certain pieces of furniture in the room. We are always continuing to improve our facility and hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Good
the place is nice. grounds are well kept. Lake is beautiful. A plus by a marina it was an awesome lake for me to rent a speed boat for a cruise. The resturant view is great. room is all suites.

Bad
Room is a lillte old. Cigarette butts outside my room door.
One night there, it was before a wedding. Some guest had too much to drink and were very loud on balcony and we could not sleep. I called the front dek at 11:45pm, 12:10AM, 12:30am. Each time the attandant Julie said she would send security "right away", each time no one came, I had to walk out at 12:35AM myself to tell other guests to "be quite", finally the security guy came at that time ...
The security guy was sorry for taking so long and said to me "we will definitely make it up to you" but that never happened.

despite the incident, my family felt we will consider returning

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We will certainly use your constructive feedback to improve our service and facility and I apologize that our security team was not able to stop the noise sooner for you. As you noted that you would return to our resort again, please contact me directly at jfeltis@clublink.ca so I may personally make your reservation for you.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I was the wining bid at an auction for a voucher for 4 to stay overnite and golf at rocky crest. The only problem was I did not know it was Sunday-Thursday, which proved to be an issue.
Rocky Crest was very easy to deal with when I had to change my package not once but twice to accommodate us.
We were allowed to check in early and as a bonus we were upgraded to a "cottage" which turned out to be a 3 story condo. My only complaint was we did not have enough time to enjoy the cottage. It was beautiful and well equipped if you went with a family.
We did golf rocky crest and found the greens a little difficult to read, not sure if they needed cutting or not. Lots of wildlife on the course and the paths and holes were well marked. This is nice when you are not familiar with a course.
We did have a bite to eat after and found the food good and value priced as at other courses of similiar quality.
We did have supper ar "windows" which was enjoyable. I found the menu to be limited but the steak was cooked to perfection. The service staff are awesome, not a grumpy one to be found, whether at the office, golf course or restaurant.
I would return and I would recommend this resort without hesitation..

Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thanks for the great review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

After spending days researching different properties, resorts, and cottage rentals we decided on a two night stay at the Rocky Crest Golf resort. Beautiful lake, staff was amazing, secluded enough when privacy was desired yet several on site restaurants also offered a well balanced social experience too.

Definitely will be returning - GM's name is Jerry, also a great guy to deal with

Room Tip: Has tennis courts, golf course, and free canoe rentals although we did not try them out
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Adam M,

I truly appreciate the personal mention in your review of our resort, greatly appreciated!

Reviewed 22 June 2012

def not worth 500 a night. not even close.. older and def needs some TLC. beautiful land , amazing golf course, we took a spin around on a cart, but didnt play. Resturants are hightly over priced, very roadhouse meals, 28$ for a chicken breast... really!!!.. we drove into parry sound the one night for dinner,
Room.... well other than finding hair in the tub.. and not from the head, i kept my shoes on the whole time and was afraid to use the furniture, it def needs some modernizing, from the bird cage lamps to the country style knick knacks.. carpet was old and stained.. the room sizes were amazing, the bed. omg it was so comfy. Its a great place if you are looking for a quiet getaway and can get it for under 100$, if you cant i really wouldnt bother.. They have a beautiful canvas there, but the peeling paint and old furniture makes the place look tired.

Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

lulife7890,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not to perfection. I will ensure your comments are discussed with our leadership team. I was surprised to see the comment on peeling paint as we have just painted all 65 of our suites this past winter and replaced some of the furnishings although we will continue to make improvements in the future.

We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I recently ventured to the former Delta Rocky Crest Resort for 2 nights. I spent a lot of time in that area as a youngster. The Delawana Inn in the 60's and 70's were a staple in our family. I had heard much about Rocky Crest over the past few years. I was excited. When we arrived Sunday for an early check-in day, we found out that our $500/night 2 bedroom suite had no AC throughout, only a unit in the master suite. Neither bedroom had an ensuite bath...just one small bathroom seemed to suffice for the four of us though. No big deal for 2 nights. We didn't have a tee time at Rocky Crest that day, only a tee time at Lake St Joseph the next day.We were not allowed to use the practice range or putting greens because ONLY Rocky Crest guests can use those.....an hour before their tee time...even though we had a tee time for Tues morning. It seemed odd that guest of the RC Resort didn't have use of the facilities. A Clublink thing I guess, The food and food service were not one would expect for the prices. They were understaffed and our waitress was pleasant and did the best she could...nice job. I TOTALLY understood after being in the biz for 10 years at one point. Many of the employees 'reminded us' that they might be lacking as it wasn't " the summer season" yet. Not professional. In all fairness, it WAS June 11....not officially I guess. No excuse. We were also informed that their premiere restaurant, 'Windows', wasn't open yet,... nor was their menu available at their other eateries. The menu at their lounge was pretty good but the food was average roadhouse fair. Decent wine list. The 2 bedroom suite didn't have a TV in the second bedroom, nor AC...but the staff brought in a fan to circulate the air throughout...it worked. The TV reception was brutal on cable. After our guests left after one night, we switched to a one bedroom with a king. We had problems getting our stuff to our 'new room' the next morning. We were to tee off at Lake St Joseph around 9am so we wouldn't be at the hotel to change rooms until 1-2pm. When we called to have someone come and pick up our luggage in the morning to take it reception where it was to be stored until we got back to "re-check-in",...we were told NO ONE was available. My GF and I hauled all our luggage and supplies up a hill across stairs and paths to reception....who still didn't have it transferred when we got back at 1:30pm. They claimed it was because our 'new room' wasn't ready until then. It was then transferred. Nice room. VERY comfy king. ....beautiful view. Close to all the water playtoys, swimming pool and hot tub.....which became a target for a large group of young people around 12:30 AM that night. The loudness was squelched within 30 mins by what I assume to be security. All in all, I found the resort to be "rustic elegance" at best. I'm not sure whether Delta bailed because they couldn't find the right chemistry with the right local employees or hired help, or whether or not the NEW Rocky Crest is still dealing with the 'collateral damage' of Delta and its mismanagement. Who knows? It could go either way. This is a BEAUTIFUL property and deserves much more TLC and employees with experience and pride to make it a 5 star place......not impossible at all. .....however, to get those PROFESSIONAL employees...you have to PAY them a good wage. Perhaps that is not the case....I don't know. I know what the biz is like though. It's an educated guess. I expected more, but I HAD read reviews before I arrived and most were not favourable. Understandable. Give this place a chance if you have kids, it was fun. I'm easy going, not a snob.....these are just observations and should not detract anyone from giving this "NEW" place a try.......but negotiate or 'look' for a deal....it isn't worth the money....yet. Good luck NEW Rocky Crest. Take pride in your property.

Room Tip: Grab something on the water...and don't be afraid to negotiate a price for your stay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
#5 of 19 in Parry Sound
Clevelands House
Clevelands House
#2 of 2 in Minett

Been to Rocky Crest Golf Resort? Share your experiences!