“Not worth the money!”

Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
“Not worth the money!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

They have a very nice facility but I wasn't impressed by our overnight stay at Rocky Crest and dinner at Windows.

Like I said before, nice facility, clean rooms but not worth the money that would have been paid - we had one free night's stay coupons that were won.

The eight of us had a very mediocre meal at Windows Monday night. 2.5 hours start to finish. The serve staff were great and pleasant however, it appeared that the kitchen was grossly under-staffed. Out of the eight meals ordered, 2 steaks were cooked perfectly and the rest wasn't. the Gnocchi was over cooked, the $9 deserts were awful at best. The Tarte Tatin was a joke. Basically apple sauce on some sort of under-cooked pie shell. The brownie was terrible they tome me and the rhubarb strawberry crumble wasn't great either. I was told that the Bailey's creme brule was OK though. All in all, not a great dining experience for nearly $800 tax in for the 4 couples.

We won't be returning nor recommending your facility to anyone any time soon.

Let me know if something changes there and we may give it another try in a few years.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bill A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Muskoka is a very beautiful place and Rocky Crest has a very beautiful location. I loved my first impression of the place however, once I entered my room, it was a different story. The room was nice, but very dated. Smeared mosquitos on the walls, and that dirty brown ring in the tub showing that the room was not well cleaned. The food was bland and not well cooked at all. Even though I went with a work reatreat, it would have been a good idea if serving beef to ask how people would like their meat. The entire party was served rare beef that had blood oozing from it which was just awful for me. The only thing I enjoyed was the cheesecake. I am sorry to say that I do not recommend this place. Taboo Resort is far better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank masibandy

Travellers are raving about these Muskoka District hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Superb location; excellent (if poorly trained) staff; reasonable (but tired) rooms; a great deal combining a room and 2 games of golf.
The wings at Rocky Crest had likely been in the freezer for generations. Salad never did arrive despite being assured twice that it was on its way. The soup alleged to be vegetable ... maybe, but if so it was perhaps onion and/or mushroom. The eggs in the "Hungry Man Breakfast" at the Lake Joseph Club on day 2 were ordered as "easy over" ... They were completey rock hard. No waitress should have delivered eggs like that .. no cook should have allowed them out of the kitchen.
Check out was a disaster with credits and debits flying all over .. I still have no idea what each of us paid. Hopefully it will look about right when my visa bill comes in.
Great golf courses in really good shape though!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Jerry F, General Manager at Rocky Crest Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
I will review your comments with our Chef and pass along the comments to our sister property The Lake Joseph Club as well. I was happy to see you found great value in our golf specials and enjoyed our courses.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great resort for total relaxation. Some words of advice....
1. Could use some updating to bring it up to a 4 star resort...bathrooms especially (tiles, counters, etc.). More up-to-date coffee-makers, toaster-oven would be nice.
2. Owners should invest in updating facilities...hot tub was not operational (and very small for this size resort), not enough canoes or bikes (and this was low season), NO FITNESS facilities!!
3. Management could try to be a bit more customer-centric and friendlier...they are more defensive, cagey and quite negative rather than trying to be helpful and concerned. Noticed this with a few people that were trying to sort our issues (including myself).
4. Could provide more complimentary items such as dishwashing supplies, firewood, movies, popcorn, and BREAKFAST rather than nickelling-diming for every little thing.
5. Restaurants should have more healthy choices.
6. More planned activities...hikes, bonfire, boat rides, golf events, etc.
7. Management and staff need to be more knowledgeable about the resort, policies, activities, inclusions and nearby surroundings to be able to answer questions accurately. Found that they were not sure about anything.

This resort has potential to be excellent...owners/management just need to know what it takes to deliver EXCELLENT customer service to attract more customers and to bring customers back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great constructive feedback. We take all feedback and review it with our management team so we can improve our service and facility. We look forward to your next visit.
Orangevile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I loved everything about our weekend stay. The food was fabulous, the room was beautiful. We loved the floor to celing fireplace, service was superb! I enjoyed the skylight over the bathtub, very relaxing. One of our favourite places ever. The food was some of the best we have ever enjoyed. A five star experience from service, room ,views, amazing dining experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
West Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

My Wife and I had a lovely stay in Building 1 Room 11. As far as resorts go, we had a decent time! The resort was closing up for the season at the end of the week so there was not an abundance of people there. The food was some of the best I have ever had. I was able to enjoy a paddle boat with my wife (all included) and hiked around the trail that goes around the lake. I hope to visit in the Summer one year soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed at the Rocky Crest resort this past weekend.
Stayed in a two bedroom suite. Its very old and dated. Bedrooms are basic at best. Bathroom was in need of repair. Shower was poor and the water doesn't go down the spout for some time.

The restaurant was okay. Service was good as was the food.

Outside the resort is beautiful. The resort is situated in a lovely location and the views are spectacular especially in the fall.
Overall, even though the location is great, I probably wouldn't stay here again until they do a renovation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends