“Dated and in dire need of TLC”

Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Muskoka District
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

A two room suite - Dingy carpet, bathroom fan looked like it had eaten a small furry animal it was so dirty, filthy light switches and holes in the door where the stopper went through. Cheapest blinds that can be had and the bathroom counters were worn to bare spots.... Cheap furniture, no view .... Need I say more?

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Bob G

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Purchased a deal through Living Social with room, resort credit and boat ride. Staff was wonderfully friendly and accommodating (both restaurants, lakefront and front desk). Food was great--Windows, though pricey had an excellent breakfast buffet and steak dinner . Room could have been a bit cleaner but it was great. Had a 1 bedroom (premium) --room 11 with big private deck and view of lake (a bit hidden by trees. Would get a 2 bedroom next time because my 2 teenage boys want their own room. Waterfront activities are awesome. Almost everything (canooing, kayaking, water bikes ) are included in price and the pontoon boat ride was a pleasant plus! A great choice for a cottage-like experience with hotel amenities.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank OntarioCob
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Check in was frustrating - everyone was delayed in securing their rooms. Our room only became available at 4:45 in the afternoon. Felt bad for an elderly couple who seemed to be frustrated. Room was so so and for the $$ we expected more. Upon checking out there was no 'glad you stayed with us, how was your visit", just here is your bill.
Hot tub was unsanitary. Many of the decks were in need of repair. Such a spectacular lake with incredulous views but unfortunately the facility has to be brought up a notch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed for two nights in July 2014 as a couple with our dog. Was wonderful that they accommodate for pets ($39 per night extra charge), the location is great, nice view of the lake, overall nice amenities with hiking trails, tennis courts, two pools, lounge chairs on docks and various paddle boats/paddle boards etc that guests can use.

The room itself needs some updating but was acceptable. We stayed in a "premium one bedroom suite" that contained a separate living room area with wood burning fireplace which was nice. They provide 'safety logs' for use by guests. We chose the king bed that was not very comfortable, and the decor is quite dated although you can see they have repainted at least once already.

Food at the restaurants was overpriced for average quality. The three restaurants listed are basically all the same one, in the same buildings, just casual vs a bit more formal, and outside seating. We went into Port Carling for a meal on our second night to try to find a good quality meal. I would suggest bringing your own breakfast/lunches to use the small kitchenette, especially if with a family. They had a good breakfast buffet, but quality was below average.

Not worth the price, but is a wonderful location and we made the most of a weekend getaway from the city.

Room Tip: Request lake view rooms, but ask if is obstructed. We had a main floor/lower level and some trees ob...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johnwadecarter
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the resort for two nights. Our stay was okay although nothing special. Upon checkout they didn't know that the room had already been prepaid. So far so good. I presented them the voucher that they told me they didn't need when I checked in but instead of checking me out in an efficient manner, the front desk manager started a discussion and told me in a very rude way that it could even happen that I have to pay again to her. In the end the checking out and her rude behaviour is what I remember from my stay in this resort. And in the end the woman didn't even apologize. I can only recommend everyone to look for another resort. There are many good alternatives in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Gina N
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Rocky Crest resort supported our SickKids Hospital this past weekend for our Boat Rally event which over the past 2 years has raised over $1 million dollars! We couldn't have asked for a better venue for our event. The staff I dealt with - Laura and Melissa were so helpful and patient with us (as most reservations of large groups tend to change). Every time I called they not only helped to make my job easier by providing recommendations or problem solving if I had a challenge but I genuinely enjoyed speaking with them on the phone. We chatted about weather, family etc. It's obvious that this resort has repeat visitors built upon the relationships they foster! The staff went over and above to ensure the guests had a true Muskoka experience (i.e. telling us about the ice cream place in the Marina next door) whether it was shuttling us up to the Golf Course for dinner or making sure we were safe and our thirst quenched with water at the dock!

Our suites had amazing lake views and all of my small requests were heard and acted on. Their recommendations for breakfast (the buffet - OMG!), lunch and dinner were amazing and the quality of service and food certainly didn't disappoint. Laura's own children helped out by volunteering on the weekend to serve food as part of their high school hours. What they didn't realize was the larger impact their volunteer time had on our event and in the end how it helped to contribute to the hospital and the amount of dollars raised for SickKids! They were also VERY polite!

I very often say that planning events is easy however, Rocky Crest played a large part in how smoothly our event went this past weekend, gave me piece of mind and I truly hope we can return next year! I will be personally returning asap to this property - what a great place with such a beautiful backdrop!

Room Tip: Asking for a lake view is probably your best bet. The two bedrooms quites are perfect for families...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lauren H
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently experienced a one night stay in a "premium" one bedroom suite (room 32). The facilities onsite were basic and we even did some pedal boating. Beyond this the experience in the room was not up to par. The washroom faucet was not completely in intact, the shower head in the shower did not provide strong water pressure, and the worst was the mildew on the tiles alongside the clogged bathtub. I would not recommend this resort for someone who is looking to get away in a relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: clogged bathtub in room 32
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Patterson Kaye Resort by Regalton
Grand Tappattoo Resort
Grand Tappattoo Resort
#6 of 19 in Parry Sound

Been to Rocky Crest Golf Resort? Share your experiences!