“Over Priced Resort Does Not Deliver”

Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
Mississauga, Canada
“Over Priced Resort Does Not Deliver”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Disappointed Thank goodness didn't pay full price but even with the deal felt it didn't meet expectations. Friendly staff but most were young adults. I went to complain about not being told that the On the Green restaurant was closed to residence at the resort and asked for two free vouchers for breakfast as the cost for Windows breakfast was more expensive. The girl could only apologize and smile and say she couldn't help me. Beware of food costs take your own food or you are at the mercy of the over priced restaurants. Do not eat dinner at the Fireside restaurant. It is over priced. The dinner was disappointing to say the least. If you are charging high prices deliver good quality food. Had the breakfast buffet at Windows one morning it was good at the cost $15/person. Best place to eat dinner was On the Green but beware when we were there it was closed to non golfing members for two days. So we had a choice drive to the nearest pub which is Lake Bass at Hwy. 69 and Hwy. 169 or eat on the resort. Thank goodness we had brought our own breakfast and lunch food. Lots of waterfront activities that are free but not much to do if raining especially for teens. They need to develop programs for teens. Our room was ok no view but we didn't pay the extra cost for one. Beds were comfortable, enjoyed Jacuzzi tub, kitchen had dishes and utensils but with only microwave and toaster was limited to ability of cooking meals.The pools and hot tub were dirty and this was in the morning. I was surprised they hadn't been cleaned. Geez get a dolphin and put in overnight people. We have been to a few resorts and I was disappointed I have paid less and gotten more from other resorts. I would not recommend this resort at the prices they charge.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sister6th

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

A two room suite - Dingy carpet, bathroom fan looked like it had eaten a small furry animal it was so dirty, filthy light switches and holes in the door where the stopper went through. Cheapest blinds that can be had and the bathroom counters were worn to bare spots.... Cheap furniture, no view .... Need I say more?

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Bob G

Travellers are raving about these Muskoka District hotels

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Purchased a deal through Living Social with room, resort credit and boat ride. Staff was wonderfully friendly and accommodating (both restaurants, lakefront and front desk). Food was great--Windows, though pricey had an excellent breakfast buffet and steak dinner . Room could have been a bit cleaner but it was great. Had a 1 bedroom (premium) --room 11 with big private deck and view of lake (a bit hidden by trees. Would get a 2 bedroom next time because my 2 teenage boys want their own room. Waterfront activities are awesome. Almost everything (canooing, kayaking, water bikes ) are included in price and the pontoon boat ride was a pleasant plus! A great choice for a cottage-like experience with hotel amenities.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank OntarioCob
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Check in was frustrating - everyone was delayed in securing their rooms. Our room only became available at 4:45 in the afternoon. Felt bad for an elderly couple who seemed to be frustrated. Room was so so and for the $$ we expected more. Upon checking out there was no 'glad you stayed with us, how was your visit", just here is your bill.
Hot tub was unsanitary. Many of the decks were in need of repair. Such a spectacular lake with incredulous views but unfortunately the facility has to be brought up a notch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Susan S
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed for two nights in July 2014 as a couple with our dog. Was wonderful that they accommodate for pets ($39 per night extra charge), the location is great, nice view of the lake, overall nice amenities with hiking trails, tennis courts, two pools, lounge chairs on docks and various paddle boats/paddle boards etc that guests can use.

The room itself needs some updating but was acceptable. We stayed in a "premium one bedroom suite" that contained a separate living room area with wood burning fireplace which was nice. They provide 'safety logs' for use by guests. We chose the king bed that was not very comfortable, and the decor is quite dated although you can see they have repainted at least once already.

Food at the restaurants was overpriced for average quality. The three restaurants listed are basically all the same one, in the same buildings, just casual vs a bit more formal, and outside seating. We went into Port Carling for a meal on our second night to try to find a good quality meal. I would suggest bringing your own breakfast/lunches to use the small kitchenette, especially if with a family. They had a good breakfast buffet, but quality was below average.

Not worth the price, but is a wonderful location and we made the most of a weekend getaway from the city.

Room Tip: Request lake view rooms, but ask if is obstructed. We had a main floor/lower level and some trees ob...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank johnwadecarter
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the resort for two nights. Our stay was okay although nothing special. Upon checkout they didn't know that the room had already been prepaid. So far so good. I presented them the voucher that they told me they didn't need when I checked in but instead of checking me out in an efficient manner, the front desk manager started a discussion and told me in a very rude way that it could even happen that I have to pay again to her. In the end the checking out and her rude behaviour is what I remember from my stay in this resort. And in the end the woman didn't even apologize. I can only recommend everyone to look for another resort. There are many good alternatives in the area.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Gina N
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Rocky Crest resort supported our SickKids Hospital this past weekend for our Boat Rally event which over the past 2 years has raised over $1 million dollars! We couldn't have asked for a better venue for our event. The staff I dealt with - Laura and Melissa were so helpful and patient with us (as most reservations of large groups tend to change). Every time I called they not only helped to make my job easier by providing recommendations or problem solving if I had a challenge but I genuinely enjoyed speaking with them on the phone. We chatted about weather, family etc. It's obvious that this resort has repeat visitors built upon the relationships they foster! The staff went over and above to ensure the guests had a true Muskoka experience (i.e. telling us about the ice cream place in the Marina next door) whether it was shuttling us up to the Golf Course for dinner or making sure we were safe and our thirst quenched with water at the dock!

Our suites had amazing lake views and all of my small requests were heard and acted on. Their recommendations for breakfast (the buffet - OMG!), lunch and dinner were amazing and the quality of service and food certainly didn't disappoint. Laura's own children helped out by volunteering on the weekend to serve food as part of their high school hours. What they didn't realize was the larger impact their volunteer time had on our event and in the end how it helped to contribute to the hospital and the amount of dollars raised for SickKids! They were also VERY polite!

I very often say that planning events is easy however, Rocky Crest played a large part in how smoothly our event went this past weekend, gave me piece of mind and I truly hope we can return next year! I will be personally returning asap to this property - what a great place with such a beautiful backdrop!

Room Tip: Asking for a lake view is probably your best bet. The two bedrooms quites are perfect for families...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business