“My favourite vacation spot in the world! Memories, life long friends, and many opportunities for fun!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lumina Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Muskoka District
Lumina Resort
Ranked #28 of 55 Hotels in Muskoka District
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

I have been going to Lumina resort my entire life. Even though my teenage years, where it seemed nothing could entertain my adolescent attitude, I looked forward to vacationing on the lake of bays every summer.
As a child, I recall Petticoat. For a few hours every day my parents got a break to do as they pleased, as my sisters and I made crafts, learned songs, played games, and heard stories. It was also a great way to make friends with other children visiting the resort. Lumina always has great Petticoat leaders. The children just adore them; always sitting on their laps, waving at them in the dining room, or dragging along their ankles when the week is over and it’s time for goodbyes!
Returning as a teenager never seemed like a lame family holiday. With all the returning friends I had made in years previous, the activities and fun seemed endless. Tubing became a sport to us. Lounging in the sun never seemed so relaxing – with the waves licking the shores and the breeze coming off the bay. I learned how to wakeboard at Lumina; the staff spent countless YEARS helping me stand up on the wake, and never grew tired of my mistakes. Movies in the TV room, playing cards on the deck, eating junk food in the beautifully preserved cabins. All great memories. Every night we would sneak to Frosties – the on-resort convenience store – and get a little something sweet to enjoy.
As a young adult, I can’t say I’ve ever had such a great time. The lake of bays club always promises something fun. Wine and Cheese night starts everyone off at the beginning of the week to meet new guests and reconcile with old friends. Poker, pool, and darts allow for good fun with fellow vacation-goers. Live entertainment is my family’s personal favourite. Tobin – the artist that has been recruited for the past few years – is amazing, and keeps the audience dancing, drinking, and having fun. Karaoke night is the night to let loose and show all your new and old friends your talent. Of course, the beach, water activities, sports, tournaments, and excursions are just as much fun in adulthood as they were in childhood.
The chef, Shawn, makes some of the best dishes I’ve ever tasted. Whether it’s a classic Caesar salad, or a new recipe, Shawn always promises taste and quality. One of the best benefits to Lumina is the food is included in the price. For your vacation period, you do not have to cook once (this is a great thing for mothers!).
The staff are some of the most sociable, and helpful individuals. Tec and Vicky (the owners) can always be found if something needs to be done, or assisted with. The owner’s two sons are great kids! Both have been raised at the resort and know how the job is done. The youngest joined a tournament just so I would have someone to play crocket against (no one else signed up). The eldest may be in competition with his dad for the handiest man. He also made me a bracelet near the end of my stay! Both sons are very polite and well raised. The waitresses, maintenance, kitchen staff, housekeepers, and the rest of the staff (no matter what their job) will never hesitate to drop what they`re doing to assist you. And they remember your name, even after a year has passed! They make the vacation seem so personal. Even with staff members, I have made lifetime friends and memories!
Lumina is my favourite place to vacation. I have been to the Caribbean, the southern US, and many places throughout Canada, and have yet to find a place as PERSONAL, inviting, relaxing, fun, and easy place to visit. There has never been a dull moment throughout my years there, and will bring my own children one day! The friend I’ve made, and the friends I will continue to make, will be forever.

4 Thank Sara D

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I experienced Lumina in the 1980's and always said we would return when we had our children.... we did and have been returning year after year for 16 years! Our three daughters have enjoyed all the activities Lumina offers for years, starting with the childrens program - morning and afternoon. I remember the days when they returned from Petticoat and were singing songs that they had learned that day. This program allows mom and dad to do their own thing - like make new freinds, join the tournaments and just relax. We have made great freinds at Lumina from all over Canada and even Ireland. We return to Lumina every year because of the food, freinds and the relaxed atmosphere.
Our cabin has been Peter Pan for 16 years and we love it's location to the beach. It is older but comfortable, the kids have a very large bedroom. (good for our 3 girls)
Some cottages are rustic but that is part of the charm of Lumina, many cabins have been renovated and upgraded over the years. If you don't like rustic just ask for one of those.
NOTE - if you need anything just ask someone at the resort and they will get it for you!!!
The staff is FANTASTIC - the waitresses are very good at their job, housekeeping is good also. The chef, Shawn, is always creating delicious dinners and if you have an idea he is more than happy to give it a try. Cory, the activities director was endlessly running activities for the kids, teens and adults. The office staff and maintenace/boathouse staff are always willing to help.
The night-life at Lumina is great also. Every night there is something going on at the Lake of Bays Club - poker, darts, pool, board games and live entertainment. Movie night if you want some quiet relaxing. I love the fact that the cabins don't have TVs.
My husband and I love the fact that Lumina is a "family run" business. Tec and Vicki are the greatest and the two young boys are always around to give you a hand or a laugh or two. Hopefully they stay around to run the business when they are old enough.
The beach is great - shallow water and lots to do - waterslide, trampoline and climbing mountain if you dare to try it. My girls have enjoyed tubing, water skiing and this year wakeboarding. The staff had to teach them and they were very patient. What a blast!
Our kids, 21, 19 and 13 can't wait to return next year. To me that says something about Lumina..... it is great for all ages. My girls have grown up at Lumina and still want to vacation with us.
We will continue to go to Lumina as long as we can!

5 Thank DiDal
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Like most of the reviewers here, I found the food at Lumina to be outstanding - both breakfast and dinner were fantastic, however, I did think from the pictures on this site that it was buffet style and was happily surprised that it was a fixed menu with choices for apps, main and dessert. I can't say enough about how fantastic the food was. Even the patio lunch (not included in cost) was decent.

We had Silver Birch for our cabin and found it incredibly adequate (2 adults - one toddler and one five yr old). The inn owner upgraded us to this 3 bedroom cabin on the lake since the week were there was so quiet. I enjoyed that there were less family ataying at the resort. I can see however that when they are fully booked, the place would not be as idyllic ... kids do love to run around by the grass and on the beach. The teenagers especially can get rowdy with the lake trampoline and the swimming games.

If you're looking for a quiet spot, reserve one of the cabins away from the water or pool. This is definately not a place for couples but fantastic for families with small kids. I can't say enough about their staff. The camp social director Cory was inexhaustable -- he was constantly organizing soccer games, capture the flag and watersports. Amy the kids director was also fabulous - she spent an hour doing crafts with our 5 year old and has infinate amount of energy and patience with children.

I would agree that perhaps the inn owners children could be more polite and more inclusive with the children ... I did see that their younger boy was being quite cruel and aggresive when playing a boardgame with the other children - however, I just kept my sons away from them since they were a bit older. But on another note, children will always be children and they have to learn to play with all sorts of children.

We would definately return but will reserve a cabin a little more secluded.

Pros: Great food, good beds, decent clean cottage, lots of loungers and areas to lie around, good pool and nice shallow lake for young children, fantastic staff and social directors, good wilderness to have some adventures.

Cons: the beach area is a bit small, there is no real place to buy snaks that was open on the property (not even a vending machine) - so bring lots of snaks, drinks and your own stuff to make lunches, no kettle or cutlery/plates at all in your cottage - just a fridge and some plastic cups, they made your bed everyday but didn't vaccum the sand or sweep it away.

3 Thank stsang
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Our family has been coming up to Lake of Bays since the '50s and coming to Lumina Resort since the late '80s. We continue to come to Lumina because it is everything a Muskoka resort is supposed to be. Full of families, on a beautiful lake, and kind and efficient inn-keepers. It is a real treat for the Moms in our family as everything except lunch is looked after. They even make the beds! Our kids love it and start counting the days until next year the moment they drive out of the Lumina gates. Heaven on earth for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank farley1000
Bolton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

This resort was recommended by a colleague from work. The resort was rather rustic, but the accommodations were quite adequate and our cabin was roomy, with a separate bedroom for our daughter. There was no TV or even a clock radio, which is fine if you're looking to get away from it all. We had deer visit each day, right next to our cabin. They were not afraid of humans, so it was nice to see wildlife so close up.
Our first evening there, we attended a welcome wine & cheese party and discovered that most of the guests are return visitors, many of whom consist of large, multi-generational families who have been returning for many years. We did feel a bit like outsiders as this was our first visit, but most of the staff and guests were very welcoming and friendly.

The resort has a lovely view of Lake of Bays and a small beach with many amenities. Our daughter quickly made friends and was kept active most of the time. She tried water skiing for the first time and got up on her first try. The over-worked social director was fantastic and was great with the kids.

Power boats were available for rent, at $75.00 for 2 hours! Canoes, kayaks and paddle boats were also available. A sign was posted requesting that these be signed out when using them. I noticed that nobody was signing them out except for myself. I discovered the reason at checkout. They charge $5.00 each time a kayak, canoe or paddle boat is signed out. I was surprised when I saw the charges on my bill. These things should be free in my opinion, considering the cost of the stay!

A note about the food; it was excellent. They don't say enough about it in their literature or website. It is superior to most resorts we have visited in Ontario, and the helpings are quite large. We were always full after a meal.

Our daughter tried to fit in with the children her age, most of whom, as I said were return visitors. One day, our daughter was sitting on their splash island floating trampoline with the other children, when suddenly she waded back to us looking very sad. She told us the the eldest son of the owner asked her why she was there and was making her and another child feel unwelcome. She then said this boy threatened to throw them (the first-time children) off the trampoline and carried out the threat against the other child.

Upon our return home, I asked my daughter if she'd like to return to Lumina next year. To my surprise, she said no, because of the owner's son who bullied her.

We thought it would have been nice to return so our daughter could meet the new friends she had made this summer, but we will have to find another resort to visit next summer. It's a shame that the other guests made her feel welcome, but a member of the family that owns and runs the resort did just the opposite. I know that if I ran a resort for families, I would raise my children to be friendly and polite to all my guests, to ensure return visits and repeat business.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
16 Thank CabernetShiraz
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

Stayed at Lumina for the first time last July (08) and will be returning this year for sure

Have stayed at a number of lake resorts with the family from the UK and found this to have a great combination of facilities, location and informality

The resort is wonderfully situated in the Lake of Bays - could not be bettered

Accomodation is basic but perfectly comfortable and the entire environment is very welcoming and unpretentious - nothing corporate about it at all

The staff have perfected Muskokan hospitalilty and seem effortless in their work

Food can be variable and would be better sticking to a more rustic wholesome fare but on the whole no cause for complaint - The Shore breakfast is a must!!

The boats are fantastic and readily available - could do with a greater selection of inflatables to make for an evenmore perfect stay

Our kids (13,11 and 9) had a ball

Watch out for the black flies though......................

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank FamilyChap
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

We heard about Lumina through word of mouth, and it seems that most people come year after year, or hear about it through someone else. This was our first summer there, for a week with kids aged 3 and 6. We loved the truly casual and friendly feeling, with lots of intergenerational families vacationing together. There were kids in every family, and there was a refreshing sense of relaxation with toddlers running around, babies babbling, and we never worried about a resort style snobbery. The food was delicious and we and the kids ate tons every meal. It's the kind of place where there is continuous shuffleboard, ping pong, and horseshoe competitions, so don't go expecting luxe accomodations or facilities. But if you love to be in a place where the kids can play for hours on the beach, you can go boating in the gorgeous Lake of Bays, where there are events like sandcastle competitions and craziest hat at dinner, a bonfire with singing and marshmallows, and many simple pleasures, you will love Lumina.

• Liked — Atmosphere and food
  • Disliked — No laundry machines on site
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Spring Lake Resort Motel and Restaurant
Algonquin Lakeside Inn
Algonquin Lakeside Inn
#2 of 2 in Oxtongue Lake

Been to Lumina Resort? Share your experiences!