“Great Family Outing”

Credit Valley Explorer
Ranked #5 of 14 things to do in Orangeville
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We're surprised there aren't more reviews for this wonderful trip. We heard about it from friends and decided to take the kids this past weekend. It was a perfect fall day and the scenery and service on the train ride were wonderful, with a very friendly and helpful staff. The conductor even brought around cardboard trains for the kids to play with during the ride, which was a hit with the kids. We had a delicious Thanksgiving turkey lunch, with real turkey (we were expecting pressed turkey) prepared right on the train on real china plates. The trip was a little over 3 hours, just right for our kids, then we wandered around the old downtown area of Orangeville after the ride and had ice cream at a nice little chocolate shop. All in all it was a great family outing together that we would definitely do again.

4  Thank Allen E
There are newer reviews for Credit Valley Explorer

Reviewed 13 October 2011

We took the afternoon trip on Thanksgiving weekend (Canadian) and were lucky enough to have selected a time when the foliage colours were at their peak. The staff were all very friendly, the parking is free and the service was excellent. We had chosen the light lunch option when booking and it was really a full lunch including a plate with cheese and crackers as well as fruit and vegetable sticks. This was followed by a very nice sandwich plate including a side salad and then a plate with three different desserts. Tea, coffee water and pop were available a number of times during the trip and wine could be purchased. All the food was served on china. Restrooms are available in each car and there is a very informative commentary at different points during the trip. A nice way to spend the afternoon followed by a visit to the charming town of Orangeville.

5  Thank MDToronto
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This was a different experience. A 3 hour Twilight Jazz Dinner on a train! The motion of the train kind of made me a little sick at first but after awhile I got to it. The pre-ordered 4 course dinner was fantastic! I didn't expect it to be any good but it tasted delicious. They even had an option for vegetarians, which I liked and complimentary refreshments. You had to pay extra for any alcohol (wine, beer or cooler). The wait staff and train conductor were very friendly. We even ordered souvenirs from their small menu on the table. The ride was fun and the view was ok if you like trees, streams, farms & rolling hills. The live jazz music was a nice touch also. We will go back. If you are going to reserve a spot for the Twilight Jazz dinner, book very well in advance as they book up very fast! No Joke!

5  Thank Jocelyn72
Reviewed 11 August 2011

On july 2 2011 my father, my wife and myself had a resevation for the credit vally explorer( it was to be my fathers day present to my father). When we arrived and tried to register, we were told that our reservation had been cancelled and money refunded,no other explaination. The best the check in person could do was give us a stupid shrug of his shoulders, not even an appology for the inconvienience of driving all the way to orangville.Another group of 5 people was also told the same thing. We figured that they had over booked and the last people to have booked were bumped, however, after checking other people in line others that were allowed to go on the tour had booked three weeks after our resevation was made. When we retuned home, we found that we had been sent an email, notifieing us that the trip had been cancelled,which was a lie as we were there watching others leave on the tour! The email was at 1.59 pm the day of the tour, about two hours after we had already left for the day.It stated that the email was to backup the phone call, another lie, we never recievedsuch a call. I would strongly suggest no one books this trip, and will continue to tell as many people as I can about our lousy treatment.

7  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 20 May 2011

This was a really nice way to spend a summer evening. I lived in Caledon and saw places and things I did not even knew existed - so its a really interesting tour. I was surprised how good the food quality was, and the seating is very comfortable - similiar to business class seats on board an airliner. Air conditioned too, very comfortable. Nice modern rebuild of the station in Orangeville.

10  Thank zanezed