“Overpriced would not return”
Review of Sherwood Inn

Sherwood Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed in a lakeview room with buffet breakfast. Definitely not my best Muskoka stay and not gonna go back.

Pros:
- very friendly staff at spa
- plenty of onsite parking
- nice fireplace in room

Cons:
- we had a Lakeview room on the 3rd floor which is totally blocked by trees, only a small glimpse of the lake
- bathroom looks really dated; shower is super small you can't even fit yourself, I am only 105 lbs so I am NOT big at all,, jacuzzi has stains
- we have a balcony but totally unappealing - the lounge chairs are dirty, balcony wooden floor looks damp and dirty
- you are required to pay $9 resort fee but the canoe and kayak provided are really old and have pieces missing
- while Lake Joseph is nice once you venture out in your canoe, the beach on site is small and sad

For $450 a night, I could have gone to Taboo for a better stay

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear Mimikaamu,

Thank you for staying with us and for your constructive feedback following your stay.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the friendly spa staff and some of the amenities of your room.
I was sorry to read that the bathroom set up was not to your liking and I will definitely follow up on the cleanliness of the jacuzzi tub as well as the chaise lounges on the balcony.
The balconies in the Maplewood building face lake Joseph, and we spend time each spring and fall through a certified arborist to prune our trees to ensure we provide ample views of the lake while maintaining the delicate balance of view and privacy.
The balconies have a floating wooden deck that sits on top of a rubber membrane that both protects the room below and that allows drainage from rain water as the balconies are in the open air and not covered.
I was sad to read your comment about beach area; we have a 400 foot natural beach on lake Joseph that gradually slopes toward the lake for safe swimming and water activities.
Our Kayaks and Canoes are less than 5 years old and we replace them based on wear and tear and at the end of their usable life accordingly. My personal inspection of the equipment did not reveal any missing parts.
Our $ 9 resort fee covers many aspects above and beyond the use of Kayaks and canoes, to complimentary Wifi at the entire resort indoor and outdoor, the ample free parking that you mentioned and tennis, bicycles and other seasonal recreational equipment.

I am sorry that your experience did not provide you with the value that you expected and hope that this experience did not totally taint your image of our resort.

Should you decide to give us another try I would personally welcome your call to ensure we place you in a room that will meet with your expectations.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I took my wife up for a one night "surprise" stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The Inn is "Picture Perfect" in every way. Our room was large, clean and modern, with a large balcony and partially obstructed view of Lake Joseph. The meals were incredible. Food was absolutely delicious, generous portions and served hot. From the moment we checked in, to the moment we checked out, the staff were friendly, efficient, attentive and professional. Everything was perfect...except the weather. I would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear marti G,

Thank you for your raving review of our resort ; we are so glad that you selected to stay with us for your "surprise" wedding anniversary.

I was delighted to read that all aspects of your stay from food and service to the amenities we offer were excellent.

Here's hoping that the weather cooperates when your travels next bring you back to the Muskoka region.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed in the main inn , it was clean, service was great and the food was also good. Sam gave us excellent service at dinner and hats off to the woman looking after all the gardens !! Beautiful, the beach and swimming area was also pretty, grounds to walk around and enjoy a beautiful sunset

Dear Curious_Canuck2,

It was wonderful to read your review following your positive stay with us.
Glad to see that the grounds, gardens, beach and swimming area all made a great impact for your stay.
I have personally shared your accolades with Sam for his service to you and the kitchen for their excellent food quality.

Nice to know that you enjoyed our historic Inn rooms.

Thank you for your feedback and business.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed for one night in Maplewood building - room 521 - which is on the second floor (not the fifth, as we expected).

Check in was great. The building is close to the main building and has parking conveniently beside it. The room upon first inspection was terrific, but there were a few things that make it hard to rate it at 5 stars/excellent:
- air conditioner (unit below one of the windows) was REALLY loud. Either listen to that all night, or leave the patio/screen door open for good air circulation. Because the night was cool, it meant that the temp in the room at night was fine without the AC.... HOWEVER
-Our room was right beside the entrance to the hall - the first room you walk by. So everyone walks by and the door closes and clicks loudly after them. Add multiple people, some drinks, some kids and you have a very noisy hallway. The AC blocked it out, but without it on (with the screen door open) you hear everything. Pick your battle - hall noise or AC noise.
- shower is a basic stall, nothing fancy. Adequately large enough for most people but hasn't been updated in a while.
- Pillows were lumpy and not terrific. I keep thinking that I need to start bringing my own, but I never do. Maybe this will entice me.

The view of the lake is there - slightly hidden with the tree but it's there and very relaxing. Nice to listen to.

This place is in a great location on Lake Joseph and offers a cozy, quiet ambiance. I would recommend staying here, but I would ask for a room with a better location in relation to the entrance. I might ask about the AC as well if it was hot and if I stayed for more than one night.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the entrance to hallways, and ask about the noise from the AC - if it can...
1  Thank Singleselfies

Dear gettingoutthere,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.
Reading your profile on TripAdvisor one can see that you are a world traveler and I appreciate your feedback very much.

I was delighted to learn that you found the Sherwood inn to be a great location and thank you for your recommendation on our resort for a cozy, quite ambiance getaway, albeit this didn't seem to be the case with your stay.

Our AC units are P-tek units mounted between the inside and outside wall and their noise level is much less than I have personally experienced in some city hotels. We will follow up with our maintenance team to inspect all 14 rooms in the building as sometimes the filters tend to get plugged up with pollen and contribute to the increase in noise of the units.
We will also adjust the hallway door to ensure it's quiet operation so it doesn't keep our guest awake at night.
I was surprised to read about the lumpy pillows and will follow up with Linda our housekeeper.
Our pillows are fiber filled pillows from Northern Feather, a supplier for many of the 4 star plus hotel chains in Canada and are replaced on a regular schedule. Sounds like it's time to do it again.
The Maplewood Building where you stayed received a complete room renovation this past spring. The bathrooms are scheduled to be revamped this winter and ready for Next Season.

Thank you for your comments and we hope that your travels will bring you back to us in Muskoka.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed in one of the Premium Maplewood rooms.
Greeted at the front desk check-in, in the evening, with enthusiasm and courtesy.

Room was nice.
Unfortunately, we could hear just about every footstep from the unit above.

The unit had a coffee maker but no mugs or filters. We went down in the morning to have the buffet breakfast. It looked pretty good. A hostess\waitress showed another couple ahead of us to the seating area. She came back, paused, looked directly at us and then walked away. We waited a bit..nothing.

Decided to check out early.
Morning front desk hostess, totally disinterested and bored...just took the room keys back...no asking how our stay was!!!

We did though, get our coffee and breakfast at a Tim's on the drive home!!!

Room Tip: Get a top floor room due to the noise between units.
1  Thank Bill L

Dear Bill L,

I was very disappointed to read your review following your not so positive stay with us.
I am sorry that our service and apparent indifference to your needs resulted in your early check out and drove you to Tim's for your breakfast experience.I can assure you that what you experienced in your staff interaction from us in the morning
is not indicative of the normal friendly and cheerful service that our resort is known for and well documented in the majority of our reviews on TripAdvisor..

I would welcome a call from you to further discus your experience with us and would like to offer you a return visit to our resort so that you can truly enjoy our great Muskoka Hospitality.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We recently spent two nights at the Sherwood Inn. What a hidden jewel it is. The staff couldn't be more helpful and polite. Dining room servers Jackson and Robert were two of the best - knowledgeable about the meals, poite, and well spoken. The room was excellent and the meals were superb. I highly recommend you check it out. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Paul R of Oakville,
Thank you for your fabulous review following your stay with us.
I was pleased to read that Jackson and Robert made a personal connection with you through their service and professionalism.
Thank you for your feedback and I am happy to see that you enjoyed our resort and it's amenities.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Sherwood Inn. I was a bit nervous because it was a groupon deal but it exceeded my expectations. We only stayed for one night, but I wish we had stayed for two. So much to do! Love Muskoka!

Upon reception, the staff was friendly and easy check in. We asked for a late check out and they extended us from 11am to 12:30pm.

Our room was very nice... a little outdated in terms of decor but perhaps it was because we were in cottage country. The bed was really comfortable, room was clean except for a dead grass hopper I found. The shower had strong pressure which we love but tiles were outdated but it didn't bother me at all.

We brought our lil pups and there were no problems with that except someone complained that my little 5 pound chihuahua was making too much noise! (She wasn't even barking but only playing with her toys!)

The amenities were awesome! They have a really nice quiet beach, with canoes and kayaks and more. The setting was very relaxing, calm and romantic. There was enough space all around the inn so that we didn't feel like we couldbe "alone" since we went for a romantic get away. The grounds are well kept and beautiful. Lake Joseph is also very beautiful! It's a bigger lake with huge, expensive cottages. We went canoeing and swimming, also went on a short hike on a trail nearby. The trail is very secluded and quiet - make sure you bring bug spray and running shoes. Wish I had brought runners for the tennis court as well!

Dinner was exceptional. We had mussels cooked in lemon wine sauce... to die for! I ordered the halibut and it was very moist and tender- cooked perfectly! My husband had the seafood collection and he quite enjoyed that as well.

Breakfast buffet was delicious and more than enough selection. Yum! Hostess, waiters and waitresses were friendly.

We also drove into Port Carling the next day, nice quaint little town- reminds me of Kauai's Hanalei Bay in Hawaii! If you are on a budget next summer, why go away when you can stay at the Sherwood Inn and enjoy the beautiful scenery in Muskoka and head over to Port Carling!

Loved it and would definitely return! Had a really nice time.

Aloha harmony Girl 88,

So pleased to read your review following your stay at our resort.
Nice to see that you were able to take advantage of a "Jaunt" offer which we occasionally offer to the traveling public.

I was happy to read that your dining experiences were equally exceptional at breakfast and dinner and our friendly servers were able to exceed your expectations.

It was also great to learn that you had the opportunity to bring your " extended family" along an that you had the opportunity to enjoy all our recreational amenities and the beauty of Lake Joseph..
The room where you stayed is scheduled for upgrades over the winter months and we look forward to welcoming you back to Muskoka when your travels will allow it next.

Thank you for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Carling
#3 of 4 in Port Severn
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
#2 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!