“Great place to unwind”
Review of Sherwood Inn

Sherwood Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Just spend our weekend at Sherwood Inn and had an amazing time. The first thing that we noticed was the amazing smell of the firewood in the pit outside which sets the mood right and one feels so close to nature. Like some one else mentioned that the Inn does look a bit rustic from the outside but it has absolutely immaculate interior, the rooms are clean and have all the basic amenities.

The staff was great and hospitable, we had the buffet breakfast which was great, plenty of options. Chef made eggs Benedict for us which was great, my two daughters were treated by the chef with strawberries and chocolates which they enjoyed.

The availability of skis and snow shoes at no extra cost is great to explore the lake Joseph area and we saw a lot of couples and families out and about. One small thing, the Hot tub is a little on the side and when we went on Saturday the shower was closed, possibly because of the weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Stillwater78,

Thank you for you recent review following your weekend stay with us at the resort.

I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy all the amenities that our resort has to offer including the bonfires, our cuisine and recreational amenities that we offer to our guests.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Muskoka in the near future.

Best Regards EJP GM

There are newer reviews for Sherwood Inn

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was our first visit to the Sherwood Inn and hope to return again. Although we visited on the last weekend of winter (2014) it looked and felt like early January, which made for a perfect winter getaway. First, the positive. Overall, it's a fabulous resort with a cozy, cottage feel - what I expected from a Muskoka resort. Upon arrival, I was concerned because the buildings looked very rustic so I was pleasantly surprised when we entered our room. . . very spacious, clean, tastefully decorated, yet cozy and comfy - like being at home rather than a hotel. We loved our room (621) in the Cedarwood building with a view over Lake Joseph (although the lake and the land look the same when they're covered with snow!!). Loved the gas fireplace and the jacuzzi tub. And the king bed and pillows were so comfortable (I'm hoping to find out where to buy them). The day we arrived, it was plus 7 degrees, the next day the low was minus 20 yet the temperature in our room never fluctuated - even though we never touched the heat. It was the most comfortable hotel room I've ever stayed in. Most hotels you have to fiddle with the thermometer - it's either too hot, too cold or too noisy. Although they have electric baseboard heaters (= quiet) , it was completely comfortable without a trace of condensation or ice on the windows.

Added bonus were the regular parade of deer crossing the lake and walking the property.

I loved the constant aroma of the outdoor firepit that was burning from morning to night. The breakfast was delicious with lots of well-prepared and well-presented hot dishes, cereals, fresh fruits and a huge selection of pastries. The positive reviews I've read about their food and wine are well deserved - but be prepared to pay fine dining prices at dinner!

The staff and service were all exceptional. Very friendly and down to earth. They have a gift for remembering guests names and little details to make the experience extra WOW! Our server at dinner, Jenny, magically made a piece of chocolate cake appear when there wasn't one even offered on the menu!! Meredith was wonderful and friendly and joined the fun of our "Smart" table every morning!! Jeffery was so personable and knowledgeable about the wines and seems to genuinely love his job, remembering even the smallest detail that my brother-in-law doesn't like ice in his pop!!

We enjoyed everything about our visit so I feel bad giving any negative feedback. However, I would like to express a couple of disappointments. My twin sister and I were celebrating our birthday this weekend which is the reason we went away for the weekend. I wanted to make it special so I wanted to book massages at the spa. I realize they're only operational on weekends, but they claim to return calls daily. When I didn't hear back from my voice message, I called the resort reservation number again a couple of days later - they had the spa call me back. I was disappointed that they didn't have an RMT available so we weren't able to have massages. Since the resort is only open Friday to Sunday over the winter, I think they should try harder to have the spa services fully operational.

My second disappointment was I was hoping the resort would do a little something to acknowledge our celebration. When I booked our stay, I was asked if we were celebrating anything. Without thinking, I quickly said no. A few days later, after reading other reviews that they do something special to honour celebrations, I had made two separate phone calls to inform the resort that my sister and I were celebrating our birthday. I spoke to the reservation desk to let them know and I also called the main desk to let them know. I was told the hotel doesn't do anything but that the restaurant will so they would pass along the information to them. I was going to call the restaurant myself but was assured the information was taken and would be passed along to them. Well, our birthdays came and went, and there was no special recognition. I was hoping to surprise my sister with a little something more - perhaps a rose on her bed or a chocolate covered strawberry for dessert.

I want to end by saying that even with these two little glitches, I absolutely loved everything about the Sherwood Inn and can't wait to go back again!!

Room Tip: Great views from the Cedarwood Building - choose an upper room (second floor) - better view than gro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smartones

Dear smartones,

I was pleased to read your recent review following your and your sisters stay with us and I thank you for your feedback.

Great to see that you enjoyed the Cedarwood building rooms with all their amenities and that you were able to experience some of our "resident" wildlife as well as our great cuisine.

Nice to learn that my staff made a lasting impression with you, Jeff, Jenny and Meredith and our chefs.

I want to apologize about the oversight about not offering our customary complimentary desserts for all guest who are celebrating a special occasion, we clearly dropped the ball on this one.

As to the spa and RMT appointment, I am sure you can understand the challenges in keeping the spa staff busy as we are operating on limited weekend winter hours, and sometimes the therapists do get booked at Amba Spa's other Muskoka locations if we do not have appointments confirmed well in advance of the guests arrival.

I was pleased to see that your overall stay was a positive one and we hope to see you return 'home' to our resort in the near future.

Best Regards
EJP GM

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Sherwood Inn was a perfect host for our wedding on March 1st, 2014.

We chose the Sherwood Inn not long after we were engaged, having made a visit by getting a voucher for a weekend via Wag Jag. We fell in love with the place almost immediately.

The Sherwood Inn is slowly updating it's look, but it has maintained a quaint and cozy rustic feeling - someone once said it was the 'truest Muskokan resort' - and both my wife and I agree. It perfectly balances the character of what one expects of a Muskoka cottage, balanced with all of the amenities and luxuries of a modern hotel. There is a distinctly comfortable feel to everything - every chair invites you to sit, and the bonfire is always welcoming you to warm yourself.

One of the deciding factors was the food their. Their Chef, Everett Bell (always referred to by staff just as 'Chef'), maintains a quality of food that is delicious, filling and best of all consistent. With every visit, we were impressed with the gourmet quality of everything we ordered. And best of all, there was no loss of quality in serving a wedding guest list of about a hundred people - everyone of our guests commented on how fantastic the food was. Always get a package with the breakfast buffet. Always.

The most outstanding feature of the Sherwood Inn, aside from the food and the decor, is the staff. I have never stayed anywhere where every staff member is as outgoing and friendly as they are at the Sherwood Inn. Everyone there really seems to love their job, and loves doing it well. They are incredibly accommodating - I don't think they even know how to say 'no'. During the wedding weekend, there were some issues with certain facilities not weathering the extreme winter weather as well as they'd hoped - but never once did they not come to me with an issue without already having a solution in mind. They were flexible, and not once did I ever sense that they felt burdened by responding to special requests. They met our every need with a smile, and seemed to genuinely pleased to be helpful.

Lastly, but not at all the least of things - as a wedding venue, everything was handled perfectly. Christina Van Kempen, the event co-ordinator, made sure that everything went smoothly. Even when I had moments of panic in making sure little details were addressed and taken care of, she was often two steps ahead of me and had already dealt with the thing I might have worried about. She made planning the wedding (as did all of the Sherwood Staff) almost seem easy, by making sure we had answered all the questions and thought about everything before we even arrived. It was a dream to work with her.

All of our guests have been raving about the wedding, saying it was the best one they had every been to. We owe a lot of that to the Sherwood Inn. I highly recommend you spend a weekend there, any time of the year!

Room Tip: Every room is fantastic, but the cottages are clearly the best rooms. Robinwood, Edgewood and the Bo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank March1Studios
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Dan and Heather
Thank you for choosing our resort for your nuptials
And thank you for the positive comments and feedback
Following your special day with us.
I was pleased to read that everything worked out with all the arrangements
And that you and all your guests were able to connect with all
The Sherwood staff particularly with Christina,Everett and Keegan

We are honored to have had your wedding at the resort and welcome your recommendation
For other guests to visit us in any season.

We look forward to welcoming you back home to Sherwood Inn
In the near future.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is our third time at the Sherwood Inn. Twice before my husband and I got to stay as part of my company's annual retreat. Every visit was amazing, however this time, we decided to go for a romantic weekend away. After 2 days we left extremely relaxed, pampered and connected. What makes the Sherwood special isn't just the amazing view from the Boathouse, which is our favourite room, the food, the outdoor fire pit, the lounge with it's cozy comfortable feel, but it's the people. When I walk in to check into the Inn, I feel like Norm from Cheers. Everyone remembers who we are by name, they know what we like, we are so well cared for there are no words to describe it. I have had to organize and host 2 Company Retreats and now my own personal retreat and I will again without any doubt book the Sherwood for more special occasions in the future. I think I even have my husband convinced to book it for a 20th year anniversary celebration at the Sherwood. It truly feels like we come home every time we go. I can't wait for my visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Dany S,

It was great to have you and your husband stay with us this past weekend and thanks for the positive review and accolades.

I was happy to read that you have discovered us as your favorite place to relax and unwind.

We look forward for your many returns home for both your personal retreats as well as for your corporate ones.

Thank you for your feedback and until your next homecoming.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Great place to getaway! Quiet location, and spacious clean rooms! Bed was so comfortable! A great way to escape from reality for a few days! The muskoka landscape is beautiful, and the staff went above and beyond! We enjoyed every single thing about our visit, and will be back again forsure!

• Stayed: February 2014
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear e171717,
I was so pleased to read that your first TripAdvisor review that you wrote was a positive one and that you had such a great experience at our resort.

We love to read reviews from our guests when all the aspects of their stay were memorable and left them with a lasting impression.

We wait with great anticipation for your return to Muskoka and the Sherwood Inn.

Thanks for the great feedback.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had an amazing stay at Sherwood Inn! The grounds are beautiful, our room was very charming with a nice cozy fireplace and a spectacular view of Lake Joseph! Tried snowshoeing for our first time, the complimentary rentals are great! The staff is extremely courteous; they set up the lounge area for guests to watch the Gold medal hockey game on Sunday morning (Go Canada!) and had the buffet all ready to go - it was a great and memorable experience! Thanks so much to Meredith and Keagan, you are both very friendly and helpful :)

We will definitely be returning to Sherwood Inn, both summer and winter! Thank you for a great weekend in the middle of this long winter :)

Blake and Sara

Room Tip: Stayed in Maplewood Rooms - amazing view!

Dear Blake and Sara
Thank you for staying with us this past weekend and your most positive review.
I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy everything our Muskoka Winter wonderland had to offer and that the "Olympic" festivities during the Canada vs. Sweden game were well received as well as the service provided by Keegan and Meredith.

We appreciate your feedback and business and hope to welcome you back to Muskoka again really soon !!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We went to Sherwood in October of 2013 and had some issues that I wrote about on this site at the time. I was very pleasantly surprised to receive a personal email from Esa a day or so later apologizing for our poor experience and a request for my phone number and a convenient time to call me. I sent them off and Esa called me as promised at the time I requested. We had a very pleasant conversation wherein he explained to me why we had the experiences we did, with no excuses, but valid reasons only. I thanked him very much for his consideration and time--we talked for at least a half hour--and was prepared to say goodbye when he generously offered to host us as his guests at another time of our choosing so that we could see that our poor experience was an anomaly, and not the norm. After some thought, I excepted and chose the Valentine's Day weekend to go.

What a wonderful experience we had! We certainly saw why so many people have raved about the Sherwood Inn. Keegan greeted us warmly by name at the front desk as we walked in, and Esa happened to be walking by and came over to introduce himself to us. We chatted as we checked in about what was going on for the weekend etc. Esa found out that we wanted to go skating on their rink but forgot our skates. He then said he had some skates at home that he thought would fit us both and offered to bring them in for us the next day. I didn't want to put him out, but he insisted and sure enough the next day he brought them in so we could go skating.

We checked in to our cottage (the Robinwood)--everything was as promised; a great view, comfortable furnishings and bed, a wood burning fireplace, and an overall homey, comfortable type feel. And somehow they managed to have a family of deer walk directly in front of our cottage on the ice, right when we walked in! Don't know how they arranged that, lol. A few moments later, there was a knock on the door and we were delivered some chocolate covered strawberries--a nice touch. We lit a fire with the wood that was provided--which was very dry and easy to light. That is a big thing for me. I have stayed at so many places where the wood that was provided was not dry enough and caused a lot of smoke and frustration trying to get it lit.

The food, was once again delicious. A very nice selection of wine and superb service, as before. The surroundings could not have been more beautiful. Sherwood has a gift when it comes to location, to be sure. It truly is amazing in the winter there.

We went snowshoeing (provided by Sherwood) on their wooded trails, walks on the lake, sat by the ever burning fire outside the main building and generally whiled away our care free weekend. On Saturday it was a "free fishing day" where no license was required. Esa told us about this when we checked in. That was an awesome time. They had drilled 8 or 10 holes in the ice, provided fishing gear and bait (put on by a lovely lady who's name I didn't get), had a roaring fire going out on the ice and gave us hot chocolate and marshmallows to eat as we waited to catch a fish. As soon as they were caught, the chef took them from us, dressed them and fried them up right on the spot. What a treat that was!

In short, we had the experience we wanted, and much more. More importantly, I had the feeling that we weren't treated any differently than the other guests. In other words, the warm, comfortable, homey, but excellent professional service is their norm, not an anomaly.

I think that was what Esa wanted us to see, and he delivered it, seemingly effortlessly, which is exactly what a guest wants wherever they go. He wanted a chance for redemption because he knew they were so much better than what happened with us the first time, and he was right.

Thank you for inviting us back so we could see what first class service truly is.

We will return and have already told many others how wonderful The Sherwood Inn is.

Thanks, once again.

David

Room Tip: All the cottages are great!

Dear David E,
Firstly thank you for writing a great detailed synopsis following your "Re-Visit" to our resort.
My entire resort team is grateful for the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort to experience the level of service and attention we are known to deliver to our guests.

I was so pleased to read that everything was to your liking and that you had a relaxing stay with us and were able to take in all the winter valentines/family day activities during your stay.

Thank you for the visit and the opportunity you gave us to redeem ourselves.

Until your next visit.

#3 of 4 in Port Severn
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
#2 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!