“Great Stay - A true keeper”
Review of Sherwood Inn

Sherwood Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Port Carling
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights the last week of May with a voucher we purchased on line. We were upgraded to a room on the top floor od Maplewood and the view was fantastic. Had diner in the dining room the 1st night and the food and service was very good. Breakfast the next morning was a buffet and we thought we were on a cruise ship.

All staff were friendly and helpful and helped to make our stay most enjoyable.

Will definitely recommend to our friends and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Huben,

Thank you for writing a review following your midweek two night stay at our resort.
I was pleased to learn that we were able to upgrade you to an upper floor Maplewood room with a lake view.
Glad to see that you enjoyed your overall stay, your meals and your interaction with our friendly and courteous staff .

I appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Muskoka for your next
"northern cruise"

Reviewed 5 May 2014

When I got there and I saw the place, I was slightly disappointed, but you should never judge a book by its cover!!! I traveled using a voucher that I purchased online and it was honestly worth it even though it was raining and cold.

The room was very nice and big with a great view of the lake. We (husband, myself & 2 year old) traveled at the end of April 2014 and there was still some snow on the ground and the lake was still slightly frozen and the weather wasn't the greatest. There wasn't much to do as the trails were looked really muddy, so we mostly stayed in our room and let our son kick his ball in the tennis court.

The restaurant was very affordable and the food was excellent. Breakfast, which was included in our package, had a lot of variety and tasted great as well.

My only complaint is the soap/shampoo dispenser in the rooms where difficult to squeeze with one hand and smelt horrible. Who wants their hands/hair/body to smell like rosemary and herbs???? I was a bit grossed out by the smell and I think it should be replaced with something more fruity or flowery.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shobana T

Dear Shobana T,

Thank you for your review following your April stay at our resort.
I was pleased to read that your overall stay was a positive one and that you had the opportunity to dine with us and find enough activities to do with your young son despite the inclement weather.

Thank you for your comments on the shampoos and amenities.

We have relocated some of the dispensers in our rooms further apart from one another to help the operation of the bottles for both left and right handed people.

Several years ago we made a conscious decision to move into bulk amenities as part of the Canadian Hotel Association Green Key environmental initiative to help reduce our carbon.
footprint.
We had many different options for fragrances of the products we offer from spa lines with sea fennel to mango and coconut and citrus and green tea.
We purposely chose the Swissoil Herbal line over the second choice which was Citrus. Given our lakefront location Citrus and flowery scents attract bugs, where as herbal scents are less attractive to them.
For the convenience of our guests we still cheerfully offer individual room amenities and soap bars on request at the front desk.

We value your feedback and business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in Muskoka in the near future.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Recently stayed in the Maplewood building at the Sherwood Inn- the rooms were pretty good- nothing fancy, but clean and roomy, although slightly dated. We got a travel deal, so we got 2 nights at a fantastic rate during the off-season (early April). We were disappointed that the deal said we would get an automatic upgraded room, however when we got there apparently there were none available (even though the hotel didn't seem very full at all), but if we were willing to pay $50 extra dollars, we could get a room in the Maplewood with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, balcony and view of the lake. We paid for the upgrade, but found it quite strange that the included free upgrade was not available. I'm curious if anyone has ever gotten the free upgrade?!? Overall though, for the rate we paid, even with the extra $50, we could not complain. I'm not sure if I would be as satisfied if we paid the regular summer rate. But the summer would be a very nice time to go- the grounds and lake would be beautiful I'm sure. Although we did not see inside of them, the cottages seem like the way to go in the summer or any time of year. I liked the fact that the rooms had a dvd player and the bathroom was nice as well- large tub, with a separate shower- seemed recently renovated.

Another strange thing was that they only give you one log of wood per day and charge you $7 per log after that. I wouldn't even mind if they just charged a reasonable amount, but $7 seems a bit much. Also our in-room fridge was extremely cold at the lowest setting- kept freezing our coffee cream so we had to continually ask for them to bring more over, which is more of a pain for them than us.

The hot tub was a little weird- that area could use some updating and definitely needs a change area. Wearing our robes over there, and wet bathing suits afterwards outside was annoying, especially in the winter.

The restaurant: food- again- was just pretty good. It was tasty, but not amazing. I found it to be a bit overpriced for the quality. I get that they are trying to do the fancy restaurant thing, but as we sat there, we found it kind of stuffy and thought if they just made it a little more casual and less uptight, in terms of food and environment, they would probably get more of a crowd. The service was really good though. Breakfast was very plentiful, and good. Loved the fire pit outside of the restaurant- nice place to enjoy an evening beverage.

I would return, but it would have to be with some kind of deal again, and next time I would love to be there in the summer- but they probably don't offer deals in the summer.

Room Tip: Try for a cottage

Dear Globalbouncer,

Thank you for your very detailed and constructive review following your April stay with us at our resort.
Firstly thank you for buying a travel zoo / living social deal to stay at our property. I can assure you that the upgrades are available for a limited amount of rooms but are very popular and get filled almost immediately as we are only open in the weekends in the winter and shoulder seasons.

i was pleased to read that many element of your stay were a positive experience but would like to address some of your other comments that we appreciate as constructive criticism.

Maplewood rooms somewhat dated. I hope you were referring to the common areas of the Maplewood building as they will still require some updates and attention. All 14 rooms in that building, however, were completely renovated last spring with new furniture, bedding, drapery and a lighting package. The only renovation that was left were the bathroom counters and the decks. The counters were completed last week with granite counter tops and under mount sinks and new hardware. The decks are a work in progress and will be totally rebuilt by the end of June with a new railing system and Dura deck type footing replacing the old slatted wood grills that you would have experienced in April.
Fire logs: We purchase 3 hour fire logs that cost us on the average $ 5.85. We give the first log as part of the room rate, discounted or full rack rate, and charge a nominal upgrade fee of $ 7.00 per each additional log to cover our costs. For guests such as yourself who enjoy a wood burning fire you are correct in your comment about an option for apparent the 9 cottages that we have on property that come with unlimited supply of real hardwood firewood.
Dining options:
You make a very valid point about the stuffiness of our vintage dining room. We offer two menus for our guests a more casual lounge menu and a more formal dinner menu. Both menus are available in in the casual lounge setting or the more formal dining room. Sometimes its a bit of a balancing act to try and seat guests evenly in the lounge and dining room which will add to the stuffiness feeling and we will work diligently on our practice to make that part of the dining experience more pleasurable moving forward. In high season our main dining room moves to the larger Verandah room and we also offer Al fresco dining on our two decks overlooking the lake and in our gardens.

Pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and that you had positive interactions with our servers and staff.

We appreciate your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to review our practices and improve on our overall guest experiences that we want to ensure are most positive for our guests.
We hope that you will keep Sherwood Inn on your "vacation " Radar and that you will find a good summer deal with us, that we do offer Sunday through Thursday or when ever we have some gaps in our busy summer group and wedding business.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

My nephew had his wedding at the Inn. Staff amazing. The food was to die for and the bartenders were great keegan and Jeff rock. All staff super friendly and our hotel room was nothing short of perfect. This is by far the nicest resort I have ever been to. I will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Marlene H

Dear Marlene H,

Thank you for writing a review following your nephews wedding at our resort.
we are pleased to see that you had a great time, loved the food and the setting and the overall resort experience with us.
I will be sure to share your accolades with the "two rockers" Keegan and Jeff.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Muskoka and our resort.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had a lovely time for two nights in early spring. The temps were above zero, but there was still snow on the ground and ice on the lake. Our nicely appointment room had a lovely lake view. The restaurant is really very good, and the service is top notch. We had a voucher for a free wine flight, and the very thoughtful staff provided my very pregnant wife with a juice flight so she could enjoy the time with me. We wandered above the grounds, took the short trails on the property and had a lovely and relaxing Easter weekend in the still very sleepy for the season area.

Dear Ian Garrett,

Thank you for your positive review following your two night Easter weekend sojourn to our resort.
I was happy to read that the amenities, rooms and meals all met wit your expectation, and I was pleased to learn that we were able to accommodate a non alcoholic option for your wife during the wine flight tasting.

The entire Sherwood team wish you both all the best and congratulations on the arrival of your new born.
If you still have time for a 'baby moon" before he birth we would love to welcome you back to our now bustling resort.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have been meaning to write a review for over a year now. My wife and I first visited Sherwood Inn last year, and have now been 3 times. We love it there so much, we are going for our 4th this weekend with my parents and sister. Everything about this place is wonderful. From the moment you first walk-up to the main inn to check-in and you smell the outside fire pit welcoming you, you've got a smile on your face - and it doesn't leave you until you're pulling out on your way home Sunday.
The staff here is absolutely fantastic. They do everything they can to make you feel welcome and looked after, and they all seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs. Any time we needed assistance with anything, they went above and beyond to help us out. Honestly, after every interaction we had with staff, we walked away talking about how amazing the customer service is here.
We stayed in the Premium Cedarwood suite during our visits. The room is great. You have a beautiful view of the lake and a lovely gas fireplace. And the bed is SO comfortable. Seriously ,it's ridiculous. We got a chance to spend one night in the Boathouse Suite, and we never wanted to leave. It was awesome.
We have always gone in the winter season, and Sherwood provides free use of snow shoes and cross country skis to try out on the frozen lake or through the forest trails. We always have a blast hiking through the back trails with these. We also got the chance to see quite a few deer as they ran across the lake, and once or twice, they even ventured up the cottage paths.
The breakfast buffet they serve is full of choices. It's certainly not just a continental breakfast. They even have eggs benedict, which my wife loves!
I absolutely recommend Sherwood Inn. The accommodations are clean and comfortable, the food is fantastic, the staff is wonderful, and you couldn't ask for better surroundings. I'm sure we'll be back for stay number 5 in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Ros_NicP,

Thank you for your recent summary and review following your February stay with us.
I was so pleased to learn that you have discovered the Sherwood Inn as your winter getaway and that you are returning for your fourth stay with us with some family members in tow.

We are delighted to see that your have enjoyed all your stays with us and that we have been able to put a smile on your face during each visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back this weekend to enjoy a spring Easter getaway in Muskoka and really appreciate your continued patronage of our resort.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Enjoyed so very much our wonderful weekend at the Sherwood Inn.The smell of firewood infuses the Inn so comforting and relaxing.We had a room with a view of the snowy lake very romantic and scenic. What a great get away at a real country inn !!
Food was great, extensive buffet with high quality yummy full breakfast including real whipped cream for your pancakes and french toast.The dinners oh the dinners..had a steak with a wine sauce.. so delicious that you wanted to lick the plate but kept your manners.LOL. Garlic mashed potatoes with real cream and butter..wowie..cant wait to return it was really wonderful !! Surrounded by the natural beauty you escape into another world.Warm friendly staff who cant do enough to help you..what more could you ask for

Room Tip: Corner room 207 was great with view of the lake

Dear travelangel695,

Thank you for your kind words in your review on TripAdvisor following your recent "recharging and rejuvenating "stay at our resort.

It was great to learn that you had an all around positive stay with us and that you had the opportunity to stay in the Schnick suite room 207 that offer a great view of the garden and snowy and scenic lake Joseph.
Glad to see that chef Everett's menus stroke the right cords with you and that you had great interactions with my staff.
Looking forward to welcoming you 'home' soon to Muskoka and the Sherwood Inn.
Appreciate your feedback.

#3 of 4 in Port Severn
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
Christie's Mill Inn and Spa
#2 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to Sherwood Inn? Share your experiences!