“There's an upcharge for that!”
Review of Ports of Call Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ports of Call Bistro
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I ate at Ports of Call with several members of my family and some friends on July 9, 2014. A few of us had been here a year prior when it was the Bent Rudder and enjoyed our experience. Our group this time included eight adults and four children. We were seated inside, which is very interesting as it is a boathouse with restored antique boats. Most of the people in our group ordered hamburgers and sodas, as the menu is pretty limited. To start with, the burgers are $11.99, which would lead one to believe they are pretty great. If you want to add cheese, it is an additional $1.99. Bacon--$1.99. If you want to substitute a side salad instead of the french fries--$3.00. So, going into it, we were spending $19.00 for a bacon cheeseburger with a side salad. OK--so it better be good.

While we waited for almost an hour for the burgers to arrive, my friend beside me was approached by the waiter. "Would you like another Diet Coke?" Without thinking, my friend responded affirmatively. As the waiter went to refill my friend's drink, I said, "Better be prepared; I think you're going to get charged for that refill."

Food finally arrived and, it was less than stellar. The $19.00 burgers were lackluster--probably frozen patties--and the side salads were miniscule. When I asked for mayonnaise for my burger, I was told that there was an upcharge for it--another fifty cents. At this point, I was so disgusted that I refused the mayo.

All-in-all, a terrible experience, and I doubt any of us will ever return. Too bad, because the location and facility itself is beautiful. We've also let everyone we know to stay far away from this port-of-call.

8  Thank PalmettoTraveller2
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We dined here on the August long weekend. Location is excellent; over looking the docks at Port Carling. Great sunset. Got a table on the deck (once one became available) so could enjoy the view. Menu on a chalk board that is brought to the table-its big and hard to share among 6 but a fun thought. Food choices are burgers, salads, wings variety. Once service it was quite tasty. Burgers are huge which is a problem for those of us with smaller appetites! Personal pizzas are large enough to share. Service was friendly but not professional-which was OK as it is a homey sort of place. Owner on site and very helpful. We'd return to eat there next season.