“Good stay!!”

Price range: US$1 - US$37
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Nestled among towering century-old pines at the very edge of Muskoka's sparkling Lake Joseph, Sherwood Inn is a retreat unlike any other. Among the most authentic Ontario Inns, each guestroom and cottage suite at the Sherwood Inn is decorated to reflect the traditional character of Muskoka, and is complete with every modern convenience you would expect from a Muskoka hotel. Many rooms feature cozy wood-burning fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs. Open year round, Sherwood Inn guests can enjoy abundant on-site activities as well many Port Carling Attractions. Visitors to our elegant Inn at Lake Joseph experience gracious hospitality, luxurious pampering, and absolute tranquility. Plan a relaxing getaway today and experience life at one of the most majestic Ontario Inns, the Sherwood Inn on Lake Joseph in beautiful Muskoka, Ontario! Visit us once. Love us forever.
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family and I stayed at the Sherwood Inn to play at Lake Joseph and had a nice relaxing time. They have a good little beach with boats. It would be nice if there was more dock space like Rocky Crest. We stayed in the Cedarwood rooms and they were decent.. nothing over the top but I hear some of the other rooms are pretty nice.

We had a nice waitress (the shorter brunette from the GTA) during brunch. She was very friendly and understanding. Amazing staff at the Sherwood!

I definitely recommend staying here if you want a quiet, relaxing vacation :)

Another positive note: you can see the sunset from the resort! Definitely try out the paddle boats and hiking trails around the area.

2  Thank Mich A

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We attended the Vintages Dining Room at Sherwood Inn for the first time, going as a family to celebrate an anniversary. If you've read any of my other family dining reviews, you will know that my family must eat gluten free (me being the exception). The initial contact was good. The gentleman who took the call was confident that my families dietary needs would be taken care of, and they were.

The resort has an historic presence on Lake Joseph, and is part of the Muskoka culture and tradition. Driving up to the main lodge you get a real sense of a bygone era, with the character and charm of an authentic resort property, up to and including the lit fire-pit outside the main doors.

The dining room itself is nice, cozy, and with a decent view of the outdoors. Unfortunately there was a large party on the deck having cocktails before dinner, so it was a little disruptive - however we were warned in advance of arriving - thank you. We were pleased when the group went in for dinner, quieting the noise and distraction. Sitting at our table and looking out the picture window, it think that maybe a bit more spring cleaning was needed, as the top windows were dirty and cluttered with cobwebs.

The service itself was very good, and the staff seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They were knowledgeable about the menu, and made some suggestions. Loving a good Caesar salad, I ordered the hearts of romaine with house-made dressing. The dressing was quite tasty, but the salad clearly had not been tossed properly in the kitchen as there were clumps of salad with thick dollops of dressing and plenty of loose lettuce that were completely dry. A bit of mixing on my own mostly solved the problem. The house-smoked bacon was a real nice treat. The rest of the table ordered the soup of the day, which they said was "fantastic".

For an entree I ordered the New Zealand Venison with Black Currant and Bourbon Glaze - medium rare. The meat was done nearly spot-on. The sauce however was not a "glaze"; it had literally been painted on the meat (see pic.). It was so thick it needed to be scraped off, leaving the meat stained, and completely overpowering the flavour of the venison – too bad. I was pleased to see the Sous Chef attend the table to ask how dinner was. When shown the meat and sauce, he did say he would “mention it to the kitchen for next time”. Other entrees at the table were the Morel-Merlot Stuffed Chicken and the Australian Rack of Lamb. Each of these meals looked and tasted exceptional, and my family was very pleased. The only nit was the vegetable accompaniment, 1 slice each of pepper, carrot and zucchini, topped with pea-shoots - not very substantial, but quite tasty.

I think the price is about right for a Muskoka resort with a great view, although some might find it slightly high. While overall I wasn't really blown away by my meal, my families’ comments about their dinners, and the attentive service, would find me returning for a second try - sauce on the side please.

As a footnote, when reading how much my family enjoyed their meal, some might ask why only a rating of 3 (average) and not a 4 (very good). I wish there were a half mark, but ultimately if I had dined alone, a 3 would be the best rating I could give.

2  Thank fairwaymob
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My expections increase with age. I am willing to spend the Monet but expect quality in return. The cottage was satisfactory. The steps were not stable and it was awkward entering the cottage the fabric chairs needed cleaning as did most of the room. I am one to look in corners. There were no extras like flowers or appetizers or cookies. The resort is showing and could use an overhaul.

1  Thank Honnatart
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Sherwood Inn was always willingly prepared a vegan meal if you called ahead. However, we were recently there and they presented a new vegan and vegetarian menu with a number of appealing dishes. The chef came out to ask how we felt about the menu and again at the end to see if we had enjoyed the meal. We had an appetizer of stuffed red peppers and for an entree I had Moroccan vegetable stew and my wife gluten free tagliatelle. The meals were delicious and very nicely present. The staff were very attentive and pleasant. It is rare to find a restaurant that offers a single vegetarian option let alone a menu full of exciting choices. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Esa P, General Manager at Sherwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Rick_Sandy,

Thank you for your recent visit to our resort and our restaurant.
I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed our new vegan and vegetarian menus and that the selections, staff attentiveness and your overall experience met with your approval. Thanks for recommending us to other readers and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sherwood Inn again in the near future.

Best EJP

Reviewed 13 March 2014

There is not a single piece of food I was served that I did not enjoy. From the Vintages menu to the breakfast buffet, every dish feels like it was personally cooked just for you, with nothing else to distract the chef.

1  Thank March1Studios

Dear March1 Studios,

Thank you for joining us for breakfast at the resort.
I was happy to read that you had a positive experience with us and that everything was to your expectation and liking.
Hope to see you back soon.

Best Regards