“WE WALKED OUT!!!”

Cuisines: Canadian
Port Hope
“WE WALKED OUT!!!”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Last night (September 16, 2012) my parents and I were looking for a quick and yummy dinner, but a little more than just a fast food joint. We had been to the Wimpy's in Port Hope once before and had no problems with the food or service, so thought it would be a good choice to go there again....boy were we wrong!!!

When we arrived at 5:50pm, we sat ourselves and waited approx 10mins for the waitress to acknowledge us and come over with menus. We noticed she was the only waitress working, so it was just her and the cook on staff at the time. The place wasn't extremely busy, 4 tables, half of them already with their food, so we weren't sure why she was taking so long. When she delivered the menus, she said she would be "right back" to take our drink orders, but that really turned into another 10mins. By that time we were ready to order our meals, so we placed the order and continued to wait as normal. It took another 10mins for our drinks to come (and no I'm not exaggerating with all my timing!). We could see she seemed busy with cleaning tables and serving other customers, but then as time went on we really were beginning to wonder if our food was ever going to come. After about an hour she finally came and asked us if we wanted our drinks refilled, which of course we did because it had been so long we had actually finished our first round. I've never experienced that at a restaurant before where I'm finished sipping my first drink before the food even comes! We politely asked her at that time if it was going to be much longer, explaining that it had already been an hour (to which she replied "oh has it?") she said she would check with the cook and also see if she could take some money of our bill for the long wait (she offered that, we didn't ask for money off...yet). We watched her go and make a phone call, assuming it was to the manager or owner, therefore figuring we would see some sort of discount on our bill at the end. She came back a few mins later and said it would be another 10 more mins. By this time we had been there 1 hour and 20mins (we arrived at 5:50 and it was now 7:10). We were trying to be as polite and patient as possible, but then were completely appauled when we noticed a guy who had come in to place a large take-out order about 20mins prior, then walk out with his order! (it looked to be 4 or 5 large containers) Then to top it all off and be the "straw that broke the camel's back", a few mins later we saw her bringing out a plate of what looked to be one of our 3 dinners, but she walked right past us and went to the table a few feet away from us to give it to a guy who had literally only been there 10mins total!!! I was blown away and said to her myself "oh come on, how is that possible, he's only been here 10mins and how is he getting served first?!" She replied "sorry I thought it was one of yours, I'll check with the cook when yours is coming". My dad got up and said loud enough so as to make sure the whole restaurant heard us "no, this isn't right, we've been here for at least an hour and 25mins and we just watched a guy get his take out order after 20mins and this guy get his order after 10mins, we're leaving and not even paying for our drinks, this is ridiculous!" We then all proceeded to walk out. I felt a little bad about the situation and said sorry to the waitress, but she had no reply other than to say sorry as well, and she didn't know what else to do.

Now let me tell you, we have NEVER done anything like this before. We aren't the type of people to normally complain at restaurants, but this was unbelievable. I mean, it would have been bad enough if the other guy getting take-out was still waiting and the guy that had been there 10mins was waiting too, but to see them get theirs and have no explanation from the waitress, that was just completely inexcusable!!! I didn't like the feeling of walking out because I really don't like wasting food, but I have a very strong feeling that our meals hadn't even been started yet! By the way, all we ordered was 2 chicken wraps and a club sandwich with fries and onion rings on the side. Is it really that much to ask for to get our orders of a fairly simple meal, which all ingredients should be readily available to prepare in a timely manner, considering the style of restaurant. I mean it's not like we were at some fancy place like the Keg and ordering some big extravagant meals! It's a small diner...and I thought small diners like that would be eagre to keep their customers happy because in a small town like Port Hope, word travels fast and I will be telling all my friends and family that live there to NOT go to Wimpy's! It's a shame really, because I know they have good food, it's just that there level of service was extremely poor.

So anyway, I know this was quite long-winded, but I really had to let others know about this place....if you do decide to venture in there, maybe pack a lunch because you're going to be there for a while!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank SabrinaCynthia

“Stick with Breakfast, Burgers and Fries”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Dingy little place. Needs a good scrubbing, so does the cook. Stay with any of the Breakfast items, Burgers, and their open face sandwhichs such as the Hot Turkey. Stay away from everything else. Service is Friendly, kitchen is slow. You get the three obligatory visits from the wait Staff. "What will you have", "How is it", "Would you like desert". Try and get their attention to get a coffee refill, if you succeed, and get a refill, you should win a prize.
If you can wait, do so. Washroom (Mens's) was disgusting. I went to the Arby's next door to use their facilities. All in all, if this was the last place open and I was starving, I would consider giving it a miss.

• Visited July 2012
Port Hope, Canada
“Needs a good scrubbing.”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The waitress was friendly (except she kept calling me names like "dear" and "hon"), the food was ok...half way through my breakfast the cook went for his smoke break. Didn't wash his hands when he got back in. There were unidentified crusty bits on the table where I was eating. I'm sad it was the only place I could get to under my circumstances because part of my soul died when I was eating there.

• Visited August 2012
lake worth
“Dirty, Dirty, Dirty”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Wimpy's has meny locations and thay are all better than this one. The food is poor, the staff are not friendly and the place is nasty. The server handles everyones dirty dishies and the holds your glass at the top where you drink from.The staff talk to there friends and you get left to suffer. The floor is dirty, the dust is everywhere. stay away..

• Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Cool old place”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Too bad it looks a bit old, but the few 50's photos and posters reminds you of how Wimpy's used to be back in the day, and reminds you of Popeye's cartoons.

All-day breakfast available; the food was good, the price was not bad, the early bird deals are very good.

A little bit of re-modelling and/ or renovation, with some advertisement, may turn the place to a tourist attraction!

• Visited May 2012