“Fantastic!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Port Hope B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Port Hope was terrific! But the most memorable part is Rose's bed and breakfast. Breakfast was outstanding ( see photos--------the drink is a carrot smoothie to finish breakfast-----to die for! ).
Each evening was tea and a decadent dessert------Truffle Mousse and Carrot Cake for the two nights we were there. Rooms were good size and bed was excellent. Terrific B and B!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We just returned from a 2 night getaway at this B and B.
We have come to enjoy small hotels and quant inns but have stayed away from B and B's unsure of how we would like the lack of anonymity.
However, Rose put us at ease right away. She really is lovely. She was warm and friendly without making us feel awkward in her home. I wish she lived in my city and was my neighbor!

Both guest rooms face the back of the house. We chose the ground floor room mainly for the walkout to the deck and back garden. The sliding glass door and all the windows seemed to bring the outdoors in...nice!. The poster bed was comfortable. Nice end tables and lamps. There was a ceiling fan that was quiet and worked well. The TV got a variety of channels. The internet worked great. Bring a bedside clock from home if that is important to you.
There were 2 attractive leather wing chairs (personally, I thought having both of them in the room took up too much valuable floor space, but that is just me...). The room was a little smaller than I pictured but certainly cozy.
We had the bathroom off the living room (outside our room). It was private (we were the only users), It looked newly remodeled and spotless. The rain head in the shower was nice and we loved the big mirror. Plush towels!
Initially, I didn't think it would bother me not having an en-suite bath but after the 2 days I found myself "sneaking" to the bathroom so as not to run into Rose or other guests (although it never happened and wouldn't have been a problem if it did). It just felt a little funny for me.
We definitely want to return and will choose the upstairs room with en-suite next time.

The breakfasts were great. I am shocked that there would be any complaints, really. There was lots of food, good food...
Dessert each evening, what a treat! Chocolate mousse cake one night, carrot cake the next. Rose presented all of it graciously with a genuine smile and pleasant conversation.

The home was easy walking distance into town with lots of restaurants and some stores.
We drove the 10 minutes into Cobourg to walk along their nice beach.

It was a great few days, I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone looking for a B and B experience.

Room Tip: Both rooms have great beds, linens and furnishings. The ground floor room has more windows and dir...
1 Thank Hamiltontraveller
Hamburg, New York
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay in Port Hope at Plantation House. The accommodations were superb, great beds, luxurious linens, ultra clean. Only a three hour trip from western New York, everyone in Port Hope was warm and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Our room upstairs was very comfortable with a gorgeous and spotless bathroom. We found the breakfasts to be delicious and the owner, Rose, did share that the quiche was purchased from a local bakery...no problem. Great desserts when we returned from dinner in the evenings. The owner took time to sit and chat with us. Rose may seem a little "stand off-ish" at first but is a lovely woman who goes out of her way to make sure you have a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Would definitely return to Plantation House. (Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries an added plus.) Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Downstairs room does not have attached bathroom, may be undesirable to some, but OK if stairs are a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
onlythebest_10, Manager at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and the follow up mailed Thank you card was the icing on the cake.
It is wonderful that you enjoyed Plantation House and beautiful Port Hope. It was a pleasure sharing our home with you both. Please come again and bring some of your friends from Hamburg USA
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I generally try to leave only positive reviews online and speak to directly to an owner about any challenges I had with their establishment. I purchased a coupon online. Due to a death in the family and an unexpected move to a different city I was unable to use the coupon during the specified time. I contacted Rose immediately and was initially pleasantly surprised with her response to not worry about the timeline due to my extenuating circumstances. I had kept in touch with Rose and finally it came time for me to get the much needed respite.

When attempting to book my get away via the phone I found Rose exceptionally rude with absolutely no leeway in terms of dates although I was willing to go just about any day or time so that I could relax. I reminded her of our previous emails whereby she had (graciously) agreed to honour on the coupon to no avail.

Long story short. The reception I received during these communications was so hostile that I chose to not redeem my coupon and took the financial loss. It really seemed counter productive to escape the insanity of the world only to receive a less than friendly reception.

Lesson learned for me. I do however wish the Plantation House the best in the future however I would definitely say that Plantation House was a 'buyer beware' experience for me as what you receive in emails and during discussions on the phone can be 2 different things.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alana R
onlythebest_10, Owner at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
I am sorry that Plantation House did not meet all your requirements and that you will never experience our warm and friendly Bed & Breakfast

Best Wishes
Rose Meghie
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I booked through Wagjag The Plantation House for 1 night. It was worth more than what I paid.
Rose, the owner, is delightful and knows her business. We had a beautiful room, wonderful bed , and you felt you had stepped back in time. We had a 4 poster bed which was very comfortable and our
own private bathroom which was ultra modern. Our breakfast was delicious, starting with homemade fruit scones, fresh fruit and yogurt followed by a mini quiche and a touch of salad and served in a bright cherry room surrounded by beautiful trees. Delicious! Oh yes, we were also served a wonderful carrot cake dessert and tea the night we arrived. I would certainly recommend The Plantation House to anyone travelling in the Port Hope area. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: We were on the main floor and it was very quiet and relaxing and we could walk out to a beautiful ve...
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed 2 nights in late August. Spacious room with a very comfortable king sleigh bed made with high quality linens and several pillows of various densities. Nice to be able to select one's preference. Wonderful towels which were changed daily in the ensuite. Great rain head shower.
Crabtree and Evelyn products supplied. Both rooms were spotless as were the common rooms. Breakfast was tasty and beautifully presented. We lingered long after breakfast visiting with another couple who were staying there. Rose was happy to accommodate us and kept pouring the coffee. A very enjoyable stay and Rose is a genuinely gracious hostess.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
onlythebest_10, Owner at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful detailed review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and all the little luxuries that we offer our guests.

We say make yourself comfortable in our home and we meant it!

Please come again
Ontario
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We visited Port Hope in Aug. & had a lovely stay at Plantation House. The room was spacious & had a full bathroom. We had packed some of our own food & Rose has a refrigerator which we could use. We had a lovely lunch on her private deck surrounded by trees. Each night she served a delicious dessert & breakfast was also gourmet. We felt very pampered & relaxed. Port Hope has a very interesting historic section & our bike ride to Newcastle & back was very scenic. I would highly recommend this lovely 1830 historic house.

Room Tip: Ask for the upper room which has an ensuite bathroom. I understand that other rooms have a shared ba...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
onlythebest_10, Owner at Plantation House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us and please come again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Hope
Budget Inn
#1 of 2 in Port Hope
Best Western Plus Bowmanville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Clarington - Bowmanville

Been to Plantation House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!