“Delightful”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Ontario, Canada
“Delightful”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Chalkboard menu detailing interesting-looking breakfasts ("from 9am to 11:30ish") and then sandwichs, soups, salads and combos until closing at 3pm. Closed Tues & Wed (or as Armen told me on the phone "We're open Thursday thru Monday.") This a small cafe on 2 floors with a uncovered 2nd floor outdoor patio run in ebullient, repartee-filled, welcoming style by two people who obviously enjoy preparing hearty, imaginative food and sharing it with others of expansive good taste and shallow pockets. My dal soup was full of flavour, nicely but not overly spiced, the "Cambodian beef" sandwich piled high and scrumptious and because I only wanted water with the combo that included a beverage was offered, without asking, a large square of lightly textured carrot cake that didn't overwhelm with sugar. Not bad for $10 and change! The smiles and banter were free and judging from the brisk, happy trade at noon on a Monday, out of season, this is a town favorite...and deservedly so.

• Visited September 2013

“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Given the review I read before we visited for the first time today (the "hostile, dirty, hole in the wall one...") we were a little leery. Our experience was terrific. Fun and prompt service, along with eclectic and outstanding food with a great bang for the buck! We both had the huevos rancheros, and they were the best, and most inventive (tortilla on the bottom plus black beans etc) I have ever had. Very large portions and super tasty.

We had frequented a nearby (Port Elgin) and new eatery called Saffron many times this summer and were equally pleased with the variety of tasty dishes from other countries. I know there's a family connection between Armen and Jen, so he won't hava an issue with a plug for another restaurant here.

We highly recommend Armen's, and look forward to many breakfast and lunches here.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Barrys111
“Hostile, dirty hole in the wall.”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have been to this cafe more times than I can count on two hands. A few times I had to look past the cobwebs, mold like film on the side of the fridge, and their lack of personal hygiene. But all around they seemed to have good food. I decided to take close friends to experience what I thought was great food. When we entered it was 10:50 and the woman behind the counter(dressed terribly in appropriately) told us breakfast would not be served within ten minutes(understandable). We proceeded to tell her we have two friends in the parking lot on their way in and we would proceed with our order and by the time we were done our friends would be in. She then told us to tell our friends to "hustle". My fiancé and I ordered our meals with few issues. My friend and her fiancé then tried to order their meals. My friend requested no cheese in her omlette and the woman told her no substitutions and now just for asking they would put another handful in(rude). When she proceeded to change her order the woman replied with"I would ask you if you would like potato or fruit but you look like the fruit type", she then looked at my friends fiancé and asked him "where he got this gem". The server then yelled back to armen about no cheese and he flipped us off with the back of his hand and yelled "nope". I then told the server that perhaps there was a miscommunication and we would take our business elsewhere, she then crumpled our order sheet in her hands inches from our faces and said "thanks guys have a fantastic day". Is this the sort of establishment you would take your guests?

• Visited August 2013
6 Thank PEresident
Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada
“Individual created meals”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

It is a restaurant like no other in the area. The dishes are uniquely created and always from produce in the area. Like the variety and so different then the other restaurants.
You can feel the love Armen puts into it when he presents you with just the right taste and it is an experience. Try it and you will like it.

• Visited July 2013
“You have to try this place”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Our family had the pleasure of lunch at the cafe last week. Don't be fooled by the appearance of the Armens, the line up may be intimidating, but it moves quick. The portions are generous and the food is very unique and fresh. I dine out often and the lunch we had at Armens Cafe is the best I have had this year. Great service and fresh wholesome food!

Visited August 2013