“Great place to experience pickerel and perch...and pig's tail...!”
Review of The Mill Tales Inn

The Mill Tales Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Tillsonburg B&B and Inns
Harrison Hot Springs, Canada
“Great place to experience pickerel and perch...and pig's tail...!”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We were visiting family in St. Thomas and wanted to try pickerel and perch before returning home to BC. My aunt recommended the Mill Tales Inn and we're really glad she did. When we arrived, we had to wait about 10 minutes for a table, which we felt was reasonable. The service was good, and our waitress very accommodating. Pig tails were the special that night. My husband was intrigued and inquired about them, but was told they were a ``meal``. We ordered the fish (pickerel and perch) which was excellent, and when my husband asked if he could just have a ``sample`` of the pig tail, the waitress very pleasantly brought him one to try. The food was delicious; however, we were disappointed that they didn`t have pie, which is reputed to be excellent. After reading the negative reviews about the service, I have to say that we had a good experience in that regard, but perhaps the problem is that the restaurant is understaffed and has difficulty accommodating large groups. Our party of three was treated well and we had no complaints.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My husband and I grew up in the Tillsonburg area but moved away some 30 years ago. One of our favourite culinary delights that we fondly remember, were family dinners including Lake Erie perch fillets. When back in Tillsonburg to visit family and friends, The Mill Tales Inn has become our restaurant of choice. The perch and pickeral dinners are a great feast for those wanting a taste of fresh local fish. It appears that my husband and I are not the only loyal patrons of The Mill Tales Inn. We visited the Inn three separate times as this past weekend and it was always busy - reservations are recommended.
My only suggestion is to put less batter on the fish - less is sometimes better. Special thanks to owner and staff of The Mill Tales Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MargCalgary_Canada
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We did not stay at the Inn itself but had dinner here on a Saturday night. The woman who took our reservation was polite and accommodating and when we arrived we were shown to a lovely table overlooking the river. Our server, Jen, was efficient and friendly. My partner's shrimp cocktail starter was well put together and very good but my oysters arrived without the bottom muscle cut - I had to do it with a butter knife and lost alot of the good stuff doing so. My partner's liver and onions were excellant but my seafood was a little overcooked. We were not offered coffee or desert and thought that our check came awfully fast. The inner dining room was 3/4 empty so they could'nt have needed the space.With a little more attention to certain details, air conditioning in the lobby so the front desk staff don't pass out from the heat, and an improvement in some dishes this place could be fabulous.

Room Tip: ask for a window table
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gowens56
Tillsonburg
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We went to the Sunday brunch 12:45 pm June 17 2011. Waited at front desk 5 minutes to be seated , place was filled near to capacity. Within 10 minutes we had the initial service of drinks and side orders done and were at the buffet.. Good assortment of food to choose from.Service was very good .Waitress was friendly and well trained.
This has been my 20th time there since it has opened . Big difference from then to now. I have recommended this place to several of my friends from London and they had no negative experiences. Keep up the good work Craigs .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TillsonburgBob
Tillsonburg
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Okay...we tried again one year from the last time we were there....Again...I now will not go back until I drive by and see a sign that says "NEW OWNER"...Need i say more...Nikos it is..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Norther1975

Travellers are raving about these Tillsonburg hotels

Simcoe, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We had dinner at this restaurant on a Saturday night and we made reservations. The service was phenomenal and the food was outstanding. Hubby had the lamb and he said it was the best he's ever eaten anywhere. It's a beautiful place with great views and friendly staff. We look forward to going again real soon. Don't make up YOUR mind by some of these reviews...I'm still wondering where some of these people were!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
St thomas
Reviewed 9 December 2010

My husband took me here for my birthday and it was a lovely experience. The only thing that I would like to see them do would be to dim the lights a little bit. It is very bright in there. The food was excellent. The pricing was excellent. We had a bottle of Jackson Triggs wine and my husband had a beer, 1lb of hot wings, the pickerel dinner each, and cheese cake for $70. This was a Saturday night and it was very busy but the wait was not that bad at all. We never felt rushed to have to eat and leave and we had time to enjoy the atmosphere. It is a very busy place but well worth the wait. We did not stay over night as we don't live that far away but from what I saw it looked lovely.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tillsonburg
Best Western Little River Inn
Comfort Inn Simcoe
#2 of 3 in Simcoe
#2 of 3 in Saint Thomas
Best Western Plus Woodstock Inn & Suites

Been to The Mill Tales Inn? Share your experiences!