“Rustic Charm”

Karlo Estates Winery
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Wellington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The County’s largest portfolio of unique premium wines made by Master Winemaker and Wine Judge, Richard Karlo. Chardonnay CHOA, Lake on the Mountain Riesling, Frontenac Gris Rosé, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Quintus - the 5 Bordeaux blend, The 5th Element - 100% Petit Verdot, Port~style wines ~ VanAlstine Port and VanAlstine White. 93 acres with North America’s largest Dry Stone bridge, Loft Gallery of oil painter, Sherry Martin. Tastings in 1845 post & beam barn, on covered sundeck or picnic at North America’s Largest Dry Stone bridge. Wine by the glass can be enjoyed anywhere on the 93 acres accept the parking lot.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We loved everything about Karlo Estates Winery. It is charming in an 1845 barn. They've maintained much for the character and added an extension using reclaimed barn board. The tasting was love at first sip. We started with the Reisling which turned out to be my favourite. We really enjoyed the food pairings, which helped us better appreciate the wines. We loved the walk through the vineyard to the stone bridge. Craig was warm, knowledgeable and passionate about Karlo Estates Winery. It is clear that he loves the wines they produce and that he truly respects and admires his employers. We were sad that we didn't have the opportunity to meet Sherry and Richard in person. We walked out with a small cellar's worth of yummy wines. The port-like wines were the biggest surprise ... very delicious, especially the unusual white variety. We will certainly be back the next time we visit the County.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Situated in a old red barn. Rustic, charming and great wines! Wonderful setting in the country. Staff is very knowledgable on wine varieties. The food pairings were a great touch!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I like this place because it's different from the other ones.
In some ways it's more of a bar. the soccer game was on a big screen.
Lots of seating and they give you spicy peas and other munchies with each different wine.
Again you're encouraged to buy a bottle and the wave the tasting fee. No problem here because there's quite a selection of wines.
This winery makes it fun and that's what you want in a winery.
This should be on your list.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We happened upon this winery by chance, and are so happy we did. It is the only wine I know that is 'Vegecert', a welcome notation for a vegan who loves delicious wine. I tried the riesling which I loved, and the rose, which I did not. The food pairings were well chosen, and perfectly complimented each taste. My wife enjoyed both the Quintus and the Merlot and enjoyed both thoroughly. They had a few distractions for our children while we tasted which was very welcome and appreciated. I will visit again each and every time I'm in the area to stock my collection and try any of their new tastes.

3  Thank Canadalalala
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Even though we live in the County for more than 15 years, it was today the first time to visit Karlo Estate. Why did we wait so long?

We experienced wine-tasting with Daniel today in this cosy and quaint tasting room. We tried all of their wines including some food pairing. A great experience. I'm enjoying their 2011 Merlot while I'm writing this review. You really can tell that Karlo Estate enjoys wine-making. We look forward to come back.

1  Thank Christian J