Although our extended family had a wonderful 3-night stay at Shaw's, an earwig infestation in our cottage (#4) certainly took away from it. The large downstairs bedroom was infested (10-20 earwigs found the first night). Pretty sleepless night for two of our family members. Hard to snooze with earwigs dropping from the ceiling! When brought to staff attention, they did spray inside and remove earwig nest infestation from under the cottage. Still, no apologies offered, alternative accommodation or any kind of refund. The earwig invastion continued the next day, until we left for home in Ontario. No follow-up communication from staff. At checkout, I specifically mentioned problem and was competely stonewalled quite curtly by front desk staff. Still, a very charming locale and facilities. Enjoyed strolling around the property, excellent Bracklley Beach access, bicycles and canoes were utilized. The morning breakfasts in main dining room were superb ---- excellent food and very friendly attentive student servers. We went elsewhere for dinners, as cottages don't have kitchen facilities. The evening DR prices were totally prohibitive for us. Obviously, they cater to different crowd for dinners than many that choose Shaw for accommodations. Sam the mascot (older golden retriever) was ever present and added to charm and family atmosphere. It has been a damp wet summer, so bugs are bound to be a problem. Had to run the "mosquito gauntlet" path to reach beach and "Off" repellant required for outside evening lounging. We were in a 4-bedroom 100 year old cottage, so supposed to be rustic. The ready-to-go wood fireplace, microwave, small fridge and TV were more than enough conveniences. The lovely porch with 4 chairs to watch setting/rising sun were fantastic. Just wanted less bugs INSIDE the cottage --- and more attentive follow-up by Shaw Hotel staff. Now back to work and saving for next relaxing vacation somewhere next summer. [PK from Toronto]
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shaw's Hotel is a charming historic inn and cottages property with a large property and great location. It's adjacent to Brackley Beach --- one of PEI's best beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Shaw's Hotel and Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shaws Hotel Charlottetown
- Shaw's Hotel And Cottages Brackley Beach, Prince Edward Island