“A friendly, family hotel”

and 1 more site!
Shaw's Hotel and Cottages
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brackley Beach
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“A friendly, family hotel”
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We really enjoyed staying here. We were in the main hotel building rather than the cottages and the room (with sitting room) was clean and comfortable. The hotel is close to the National Park and you can easily walk to the beach (the hotel will provide beach towels). This hotel is obviously used year after year by some families which gave it a special atmosphere. The food is very good and famed in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We had a 3-nights reservation, and as soon as we arrived I was surprised by the very poor communication skills of the lady at the counter, who gave us just the necessary informations and nothing else. The cottage was apparently clean, although rather old fashioned, and it gave the idea of needing to be refurbished. For example, we had to call the reception immediately in order to have the WC fixed, because water spilled out to the floor. The first night all went well, apart from the mosquitos which were very hungry; the second night, however, dozens of flying bugs suddenly came out from the wood floor of our room, and we spent half of the night in a mortal combat. When I complained the following morning, the lady didn't seem to be too surprised, so I assume they knew very well about the poor conditions of the cottage and didn't give a damn. They didn't even offer another cottage or a room in the main building. So I refused to spend another night like that and we shortened our stay. All in all, a horrible experience. We travelled all Canada, west and east, in Summer 2009 anjd 2010, and it was the only bad experience we had!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank rprecht
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed here for three nights - room in the old hotel - small, no AC (probably not a problem usually, but very warm when there), no phone, no TV, excellent restaurant, and very good service. If you are not looking for all the amenities of a modern hotel, this is a very pleasant place to stay - would be excellent for a family, and had a good time. Treated extremely well by staff, and food was outstanding.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 5 October 2009

3 Couples stayed in one of the 3 bedroom, 2 bath cottages for 4 nights. The view was spectacular. The owner was helpful (twice he brought us a lobster cooker) and the daily cleaning staff was efficient. The common living space was spacious. The overall layout would have been better if both baths were accessible to all the bedrooms - instead one bath was deep inside a bedroom. The beds were comfortable and the kitchen accommodated several chefs at once.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
ottawa, ontario
Reviewed 7 January 2008

Last summer we had friends staying in PEI so we decided to go too. After looking into cottage rentals I decided to book at Shaw's because for almost the same price as renting a cottage we could stay at Shaw's and have someone else do the cooking.
We were delighted with the property but have realistic expectations. Shaw's is a family-run hotel that has been in operation for years. It is not a Ritz Carleton and the facilities are rustic. Our cottage was one of the oldest on the property but my children adored it from the minute we arrived. It was called a 4 bedroom cottage but there seemed to be beds everywhere which thrilled my daughters who had thought they would have to share.
The beach is a fair bit of a walk and the mosquitoes can be fierce getting there, but it is beautiful and the walk made it feel like more of an adventure.
We met so many other families while we were there and most of them have been coming for years. I even ran into parents of a friend of mine who said that they started going there when they were children.
The playground is really basic, in fact I know a lot of people who have better ones in their backyards. That being said, it didn't deter my children from wanting to go there all the time and they always had fun. There were always children to play with there. They also have bales of hay that the children spent hours running around. Sometimes I think we spend so much time trying to give our kids the latest and greatest that we forget how much fun they can have if they're given time to use their imaginations.
I saved the dining for last because it was the most wonderful surprise. We've stayed at family hotels in the Maritimes before so I expected that it would be a lot of Turkey dinners. Not even close! The food was amazing and there was such a huge selection that we didn't eat the same thing twice for the 5 nights we were there (except for the fudge cake which I couldn't resist). They offer the freshest seafood but also a great variety of appetizers, salads and main dishes. We had originally planned to try some of the other restaurants in PEI but couldn't stand the idea of missing dinner at Shaw's. Three nights a week they even offer a program for the children so that the adults can eat in peace and my children actually participated. Given that we had just been on the Disney cruise and my children wouldn't do any of the activities on their own, this is a big deal in our house!
The breakfast was less interesting, but still had a good variety and no one complained of hunger. We ordered boxed lunches one day and had enough for 2 meals- and it was delicious as well.
All this goes to say that if you are looking for a relaxing, easy vacation Shaw's is a great hotel. If you are looking for the Ritz or non-stop entertainment it won't be for you.
We booked for this year when we checked out. I think it will become our annual summer trip.

• Liked — Spacious
  • Disliked — not very private-but there are other much more secluded cottages
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank travelwiththegirls
Ottawa
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Here’s the story:

My Family was staying at Shaw’s while we attended my Brother in Law’s wedding. While my wife was getting ready for the event, she was trying to decide what pair of shoes to wear, and finally settled on the pair that best suited her outfit; the other pair was left at the foot of the bed. This was at about 3:30PM.

The next day, after housekeeping had cleaned our cottage, my wife noticed that her shoes didn’t appear to be in the bedroom. We searched the entire cottage, looking in places that the shoes couldn’t possibly even be ( in the linen closet for example ), but no shoes. I mentioned to the front desk as we were going to dinner that the shoes were missing; I suggested that perhaps they got tangled with the bed sheets that were taken to the laundry, and that they might turn up at housekeeping. After dinner, my family and I hosted the rest of our clan at our cottage, and while everyone was there we all looked again for the missing shoes. No luck. We even searched again the next day but to no avail.

While checking out, I asked again about the shoes and was told that they’d look into it and get back to me.

A week later there was no call, so I decided to contact Shaw’s. I was told that there was no sign of the shoes, and it was insinuated that we lost them ourselves. I politely explained that the shoes had never been worn, that the first time they were even out of their box was to be tried on for the wedding. They said, once again that they would get back to me.

Again no contact.

Eventually my wife wrote an email to Mr. Robbie Shaw explaining how disappointed she was that no body seemed to take our loss seriously, and his response was essentially to blame her for losing them herself and pretend that the situation did not happen.

Don’t EVER spend your money here. If they did this to us, they'll do it to you.

Stayed July 2007
11 Thank BentleyThePug
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 June 2006

My husband and I stayed at Shaw's one weeknight in June and found it a very quiet, peaceful, and relaxing place. My favourite thing was the trail to the ocean, and the beach itself. We went for walk along the beach by ourselves after supper, and we literally had about 5 kms of white sand to ourselves.
The food was excellent and the staff professional and friendly. We stayed in the inn, and I loved the atmosphere. It was low-key, definitely not gaudy and touristy, and was decorated with tasteful cottage-like turn-of-the-century furniture and decor.
Although built in the 19th century, our private bath was modern and the shower was nice and hot.
I recommend this place for couples, retirees, and families. Definitely go in the low season during the week if you want to enjoy a quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2006
#3 of 23 in Charlottetown
The Harbour House
The Harbour House
#2 of 23 in Charlottetown

Been to Shaw's Hotel and Cottages? Share your experiences!