“Well worth a visit”

The Dunes Studio Gallery and Cafe
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Tucson, Arizona
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We enjoyed a delicious lunch overlooking the stunning gardens on our recent visit to PEI. It's also fun to peruse their lovely gifts and artwork. Truly a special place and well worth a visit!

Visited July 2014

Callander, Canada
“beautiful view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Hostess was a bit weird. We waited by the bar on the upper level to wait for the hostess. Made eye contact and even smiled at her but she said nothing. Turns out the "entrance" to the restaurant is on the bottom level. Figured it out ourselves and once we moved to the right spot she then was willing to address us.

We had special of the evening....ribs done in delicate flavours. Beautiful presentation. Dessert breathtaking. Everything is pricey but it was totally worth it!!

• Visited July 2014
Halifax, Canada
“The Gardens and Studio a Must See, the Food was good...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I along with two friends visited the Dunes Studio Gallery and Cafe on Aug 3. The gardens and the studio are definately worth the trip to Brackley Beach.
The artisan work is extraordinary, the pottery, the jewelery, the local art not to mention the fine art and furniture is a must see. The gardens are full of mature perennial beds and water gardens with fountains and sculptures. The view of the sand dunes from the 4th floor is breathtaking.
We had made dinner reservations in the cafe for 430pm, upon arrival we realized that the lunch service ends at 4pm and the dinner service begins at 5pm (not sure where our 430pm reservation fit in). After touring the studio and gardens we were ready for our meal. We went to the cafe at 4pm and asked the hostess if we could just sit and have a drink while we waited for our reservation, because we knew we were early and we wanted the dinner service not the lunch. She said no, we had to wait until our reservation time, that was weird right? So wait we did...at 430pm our reservation time, my friend approached the hostess desk and no one acknowledged him for at a 4-5 minutes. Finally, he asked them if our table was ready yet. She stated yes and sat us at a table in the middle of the room. There were so many other more private tables, that were not made up for dinner service yet i assume. I guess this is why we got the center table, I wish that when my friend had made the reservation they would have told her that the dinner service didn't start until 5pm and given her a 5pm reservation. At this point, I am getting alittle dissappointed, the studio and gallery was awesome I didn't want the day to end this way. Once our waiter arrived (I forget his name) things got better, he was very nice and friendly and the food was good, not spectactula but good.
For appetizers, my husband had the island crab cakes which he said were very good, I had the pan seared scallops in a baileys cream sauce which were also very good. Our friends had the creamy garlic romaine salad and the pecan and smoked pear blue cheese salad which they said were good. For our mains, my husband had the seafood special of crab legs, muscles, etc. and he said it was good. I had the herb crusted rack of lamb, the lamb was over cooked and the rack was small and didn't really taste like anything...I was disappointed with the rack. Our friends had the banana bread crumb halibut which she said really didn't taste like anything either, especially not banana bread, but she said it was good. Her husband had the grilled Filet Mignon, he too said it was good. The meal was good, but nothing stands out except I remember the deserts being very good, we each tried a different one and shared. But I don't remember what we each tried and the desert menu is not posted online to jog my memory.
Overall, good but many more places to eat in PEI so probably wouldn't return for the food. But most definately would return to the garden and studio.

• Visited August 2014
Halifax, Canada
“Always a must when on pei ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I have been visiting the island almost every summer since I was a child and always go to the Dunes. It has been amazing to watch this fabulous place grow and expand. This place has everything from a dedicated island art gallery, stunning imported goods, as well beautiful pottery/glassware/jewellery/etc made by some of the regions top artists. There is of course the restaurant downstairs as well that just blows me away every time I eat there. The food is always impeccably made with local food but with a fusion flare. The service is fantastic as well, very friendly and knowledgable staff. And when you are all down eating and shopping exploring the grounds to cap it all off is a must.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Lovely Place to Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

So glad we stopped by while on vacation! We had lunch, it was pretty good - fresh healthy food - a little pricey. Service seems a little lackadaisical if you are in a hurry. The place was busy and the seating is a little close, although the space is light and airy. If I lived here I would probably come in every so often maybe for food or just to walk around and shop and look around. The gallery had lots to look at and purchase - art, pottery, clothes, jewelry - a little bit of everything. And the back garden was worth the visit alone - really beautiful flowers and water, balinese sculptures and other statues, and cool driftwood furniture. Overall the place has a nice artsy hippie feel, very peaceful and cool.

• Visited July 2014